• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Flash memory card puzzle (1 Viewer)

Chriseast

I've had a chance to use the new camera with the scope. Results are mixed as I'd expect because of my lack of experience. Focus is the main problem, but some are o.k. so I guess it will come with experience. The one concern is that the images seem to be lower quality than I would expect. Images through the camera alone are fine, much better than the 1.3mp I've been used to, but take on a grainy appearance through the scope. Is this usual? I'm following Andy Bright's suggested settings for the camera for the time being. The one strange thing is that with the settings on maximum resolution 2272x1704 and on Fine, the screen says I will get 33 images on a 64mb card, as does the manual. I'm regularly getting 45+. I've just transferred 29 images off the card to my PC and have 15 left according to the camera. Am I missing a trick? I have the camera set on continuous and have used this a few times. Does this degrade the image and fit more on the card? The data with the image confirms the resolution and image quality as JPEG (8 bit) Fine.
I'm sure that I'm just missing something, but any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Chris

Chriseast said:
the screen says I will get 33 images on a 64mb card, as does the manual. I'm regularly getting 45

Hi Chris:
The camera can only estimate how many images will fit because the size of a JPG file, for a given compression (quality) level, will vary on the content of the image. An image with fine detail won't compress as much as one with large areas of similar colour.

Chriseast said:
The one concern is that the images seem to be lower quality than I would expect. Images through the camera alone are fine, much better than the 1.3mp I've been used to, but take on a grainy appearance through the scope. Is this usual?

Hi Chris,

Have you been taking pictures in dull light levels? If so, have you increased the ISO setting on your camera? Increasing the ISO will produce grainier pics.

Im guessing your using the cp4500 digicam? What about your scope?

I find i can maintain the quality of pictures taken when i reduce the resolution of the pics to increase the number of shots on a card. I just know that this is fine for reproducing on my computer. For printing, im not sure yet how things will be effected.

Let us know the gear you use, if possible...... :t:

tracker

Ok, ive just seen your post regarding ISO settings and now ive been able to catch up with you....... ;) Im gonna think a little more regarding your thread here.

Last edited:
Thanks for the advice. I can understand that there will be small differences in the amount of memory used depending upon the photo, but I'm still surprised at the size of file the images are taking up. I've taken 180 or so photos so far and all images, through the camera alone and through the scope, of a variety of subjects including landscapes and portraits, have been between 1.1mb and 1.3mb. This is on maximum resolution and Fine settings. My old Fuji which was 1.2mp produced files of 700kb or so with a much lower resolution. At an average of 1.2mb I can fit 55 images on a 64mb card. I assumed that the images would come out at 2mb or so which was why I was wondering whether something I had done had inadvertently degraded the images or whether the camera was perhaps faulty?

I'll keep trying and let you know what happens.

Hi Chris,

I would say that those picture sizes are about right. Obviously the higher the resolution you shoot with, the more pixels and therefore memory your card will use/need to store the piccie. Maybe you could experiment with a resolution setting to see what suits your needs best. Obviously, if you are just storing the images on your computer, then try lowering the resolution setting on your camera. This, as you probably know will give you more pictures from your 64mb card. But image quality will suffer when/if you come to print the pictures youve taken.
Im quite new at this too, so im fully aware of the challenge to harness the principles of good digi-scoping.

As was said to me, even recently, its not uncommon to go out and take several hundreds of shots, and still not get a 'good' shot.

Keep practicing and persevering. Cos when 'that shot' does arrive, then you will feel the satisfaction.... :t:

tracker

Chris dont worry nearly all images in the top jpeg setting are between 1.1mb-1.3mb.I use 128mb cards and regularly get 90-100 shot on a card.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back