• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

June Holiday at Ayr (1 Viewer)

AlanR

Bird photographer
United Kingdom
For somewhat obscure reasons I have now booked a week at Ayr (the third week of June) for a birdwatching holiday. I will be staying at a B&B in central Ayr and will have my car foor transport.
I have a fairly extensive guide to Birdwatching in Ayrshire and Arran frrom the web, but I am hoping for some more specific advice about mid-June.
I will definitely include a trip to Arran and this is likely to be my only real chance this year to spot sea birds like Gannet, Guillemot, Puffin etc. I'm also hoping to see at least one type of Grouse, preferably both Red and Black.
So, how can I make best use of my five days at Ayr?
Alan

For somewhat obscure reasons I have now booked a week at Ayr (the third week of June) for a birdwatching holiday. I will be staying at a B&B in central Ayr and will have my car foor transport.
I have a fairly extensive guide to Birdwatching in Ayrshire and Arran frrom the web, but I am hoping for some more specific advice about mid-June.
I will definitely include a trip to Arran and this is likely to be my only real chance this year to spot sea birds like Gannet, Guillemot, Puffin etc. I'm also hoping to see at least one type of Grouse, preferably both Red and Black.
So, how can I make best use of my five days at Ayr?
Alan

A trip to Arran is worthwhile, although it may be costly to take the car. During the crossing you have a good chance of spotting Guillemot, Razorbill, Kittiwake, gannet, maybe Manx Shearwater, and if you're really lucky, maybe a whizzing puffin. Note that Arran is divided into two by the Highland Boundary Fault which more or less follows the String road linking Brodick with Blackwaterfoot on Arran's west coast. This divides the island neatly into two habitats as well, with the ground north of the String being essentially Highland, with mountains, moors, rocky outcrops etc, and the south essentially Lowland with gentle topography, farmland, wooded valleys, and so on.

Walking on moorland is one of the best ways to find red grouse. You can hear the "go-back, go-back!" calls and sometimes they will rise from the heather almost under your feet. Note that in Machrie Burn on Arran I have seen Dipper.

Your closest puffins are probably on Sanda Isle, just south of the Mull of Kintyre, a long way by road unless you go by ferry Ardrossan-Brodick and then Lochranza-Claonaig, which is in Kintyre. I fear the return ferry cost for that trip would be expensive. Check Caledonian MacBrayne's website for timetables and fares.

For puffins, and indeed other seabirds, you might find it less difficult to drive to the Forth Estuary on the east coast, and try to visit the Isle of May (good for puffins) or the Bass Rock off North Berwick. Aberlady Bay can be good for waders at the right state of the tide. St Abbs has a great reputation for birding. Red Grouse occur on the Lammermuirs, south of Edinburgh.

Unfortunately I have yet to see a black grouse, although they are supposed to occur in the hills around Gareloch and Loch Long.

South of Ayr Culzean Castle, which is open to the public, has good woodland, and birding can be excellent there. I have seen chiffchaff and blackcap there, among others.

A boat trip to Ailsa Craig should yield breeding seabirds. I think you can get there from Girvan, but you must check that out.

For water and other birds there is the RSPB reserve at Lochwinnoch. Take the Beith road north from Ayr to get there.

I hope this helps - the birds you are seeking will require a bit of effort, so good luck!

Best wishes,
Dave Kennedy

Ayrshire is my home county - the guide you mention is pretty good.

A trip to Arran or Ailsa Craig should allow you to see most of the seabirds you mention, Manx shearwater is also likely though numbers in the Firth of Clyde tend to be on the low side till late summer, still the chance of the odd great or Arctic skua.

Puffins can be seen from the Ayrshire coast in very small numbers, as they are back breeding on Ailsa Craig following rat eradication (visiting the Craig should guarantee puffins). Black guillemots breed in all the harbours along the coast inc. Ayr and Ardrossan where the Arrran ferry leaves from. Troon is another good spot for looking for seabirds also large eider flocks.

Mid June is not a great time for looking for grouse, best bet for red is to head inland to the Muirkirk area moorlands. Black grouse still occur there (best looked for along the farmland/moorland edge from the roads early or late in the day - but they are not common) and in the Ayrshire parts of the Galloway Forest around Loch Doon (again not large numbers and best to walk some of the more open forestry trails).

Muirkirk area is good for breeding waders and there should be some raptors around inc hen harrier and short-eared owl (latter can be absent if low vole nos).

For migrant woodland birds like redstart, tree pipit, warblers etc try Glen Afton nr New Cumnock, Ness Glen just north of Loch Doon, or the River Girvan or River Stinchar valley woodlands. The aforementioned Culzean also has a good range of species.

Close to Ayr there's Martnaham Loch which is the best freshwater loch for birds in the county.

Cheers,
Andrew

I've just looked up ferries to Arran. I can go a lot more cheaply if I leave the car behind. Will it be easy enough to get far enough on the island in a day trip without a car?
Alan

I've just looked up ferries to Arran. I can go a lot more cheaply if I leave the car behind. Will it be easy enough to get far enough on the island in a day trip without a car?
Alan

You won't get far on foot. It's a big island, I think about 50 miles round. Two suggestions - investigate hiring a car ON the island, and check the cost - consider hiring a bike, either on the mainland to take with you, or on the island. Note that this would mean Brodick, where the ferry docks. There are buses on the island - not sure what the service is like, but check on that too.

Good luck
Dave

Can't help you brother but have a great time. We have just booked to go to a place near Oban this coming week! (see my plee for help)

We will have to compare notes and pics when we next meet

Purple Sandpiper can be seen in the harbour area of Ayr - look in the rocks along the pier jutting out from the harbour. You're almost guaranteed sightings of Black Guillemot, Eider as well as terns just a little out to sea from the same area.

A walk south along the path beside the beach can reveal some good birds including Stonechat and Linnet.

Ballantrae to the south of Girvan gets some good write-ups too, especially for seabirds, but when I went there last year I was almost smothered by flies on the beach!

I guess some of the following species you will be familiar with, but you're not a million miles away from the excellent sites in Dumfriesshire either - perhaps you could see Pied Flycatcher, Redstart, Willow Tit at Wood of Cree, Spotted Flycatcher at Ken-Dee (plus I've seen my only Nuthatch in Scotland there).

Purple Sandpiper can be seen in the harbour area of Ayr - look in the rocks along the pier jutting out from the harbour. You're almost guaranteed sightings of Black Guillemot, Eider as well as terns just a little out to sea from the same area.

A walk south along the path beside the beach can reveal some good birds including Stonechat and Linnet.

Ballantrae to the south of Girvan gets some good write-ups too, especially for seabirds, but when I went there last year I was almost smothered by flies on the beach!

I guess some of the following species you will be familiar with, but you're not a million miles away from the excellent sites in Dumfriesshire either - perhaps you could see Pied Flycatcher, Redstart, Willow Tit at Wood of Cree, Spotted Flycatcher at Ken-Dee (plus I've seen my only Nuthatch in Scotland there).
There are certainly some birds there I would like to see. I will take all these tips with me.
Alan

Thanks for all the help.
I am all organised. On Monday I travel up via Martin Mere to stay overnight on Walney Island. My six days at Ayr should include trips to Ailsa Crag, Arran and somewhere where I hope to catch Red and Black Grouse. The rest will probably be trips up and down the coastal areas for sea birds, with the hopes of a Dipper in local parks. Coming back I've gone for another overnight stop and the best place seemed to be Bempton.
I will report back in one of the other forums.
Alan

Alan, Dippers should be on most rivers and burns especially as you head inland - check the bridges where there are 'rapids', from any of the roads that cross the Rivers Ayr, Doon, Girvan, and Stinchar.

Around Ayr you can get dipper from the R Ayr walk in Craigie - probably need to go all the way up towards the A77 by-pass. (can produce kingfisher too) The Oswald Brig at Auchincruive is another good spot.

Cheers,
Andrew

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back