• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Will my Olympus TCON 1.7 fit the new superzooms ? (1 Viewer)

Simmo1111

Hi,

I currently have an FZ28 and have a Olympus 1.7 teleconverter for it. I was originally contemplating upgrading to a DSLR but having done a lot of research I have decided that I wont get much benefit in splashing out a pile of cash compared to what I already have. Therefore I was wondering if I should just look for a better rated superzoom instead. My question being if I was to get myself one of the newer Panasonics will my Olympus TCON 1.7 still fit any of them ?

Anyone have any ideas ?

I am also open to suggestions regarding an upgrade from my FZ28 too ...

Thanks very much ..

For the FZ45 or FZ100, Dave, you need a different adapter:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Panasonic-C...61TU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1302415510&sr=1-1

But apart from that the TCON17 will be fine.

As for upgrading:

I have a FZ28, and I've been watching and waiting for two years for the release of a better camera. After reading all of the reviews, and viewing images, etc, I've come to the conclusion that I can't get a better Superzoom.

If (when, as I've taken nearly 150,000 pictures with it) my FZ28 breaks, I'll get an FZ38, as it has faster auto focus. I won't get a DSLR, as I don't need one, I'm happy with the pictures produced by the FZ28. And I can't carry 5lbs of Camera + Lens either.

Teleconverter for later Superzooms

Hi, I have and FZ18 and an FZ100 and have used the same 2x Sony tc on both cameras. I just needed the right step down rings, as in my case the Sony tc had a 37mm thread and both the FZ18 and FZ100 have larger, but not the same threads. The FZ18 has 46mm and the FZ100 has 52mm. I think you are using the adapter, so I'm not sure how to convert that to a new thread diameter. In both cases with the step down rings I was able to do it using two rings.

With regards to upgrading, I can tell you that I don't think the FZ100 gives a better image than the FZ18, but it does enable you to get images that would be very difficult, if not impossible to get with the FZ28. There are two main reasons for this. Its autofocus is much faster and there are significantly higher burst rates available. Also, I think the ergonomics are better in most respects, but that could just be me. If you are prepared to wait a few months, I'm pretty sure that come July there will be a replacement (upgrade) announced for the FZ100. They seem to put out new FZ series cameras in late July.

Hope this helps.

Hi,

I currently have an FZ28 and have a Olympus 1.7 teleconverter for it. I was originally contemplating upgrading to a DSLR but having done a lot of research I have decided that I wont get much benefit in splashing out a pile of cash compared to what I already have. Therefore I was wondering if I should just look for a better rated superzoom instead. My question being if I was to get myself one of the newer Panasonics will my Olympus TCON 1.7 still fit any of them ?

Anyone have any ideas ?

I am also open to suggestions regarding an upgrade from my FZ28 too ...

Thanks very much ..

I have the FZ38 and as far as I know, this and the other FZ models are still pretty much the benchmark for wildlife superzooms. Some of the new ones sound impressive, but I've yet to be convinced that any would be worth upgrading to.

I would have thought if you're going to upgrade then go for the DSLR. If not, the one you have is as good as any...

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back