• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hummingbirds in Europe (or not) (1 Viewer)

tng03_22

Yesterday, I saw a tiny creature that looked and acted like a hummingbird. I remember as a child seeing hummingbirds float from flower to flower with their long, thin beaks extending into the center of each bloom. I live in Germany, and have not seen a hummingbird for a long time. But yesterday I was thrilled to see what I thought was a hummingbird. Today, after a bit of research, I found a video that matches the description of what I saw. Turns out I witnessed a hummingbird hawk moth, and although rare, it was a disappointment. Attached is a picture with a circle around the moth. Zoom in to see it a little better. Sorry it is not the clearest picture.

Attachments

• hum.jpg
    hum.jpg
    479.5 KB · Views: 1,670
Don't feel bad. I have seen many Hummers, but the first Hawk Moth was still very nice. I wish they were more common here.

The resemblance in flight to a hummingbird is uncanny. The 17 years I've been in this location, have seen 3 of the Sphingidae family, or hawk moths, clearwings, hummingbird moths, etc. in the yard. Relative rarity, and mostly nocturnal/crepuscular activity here, makes it a genuine treat to see one.

There is a local store with photos and paintings from local artists with a very nice photo labeled "Hummingbird on Lupine". The only problem is that it is clearly a moth! I pointed this out once to the shop owner, who it turns out was also the photographer, and I was quite rudely told "I think I know what a hummingbird is". I just smiled walked out.

Per my first post, seen 3 in yard. Last, being one that flew into the house this past May. For few seconds, early in the morning, for all practical purposes there was a hummingbird flying around in here, until I fully focused on it. Couldn't get a pic of it in flight, indoors or out. Did coax it to a box, managed a few frames, and released into predawn. Even at rest, tail end, & general profile are striking, compared to a hummer.

Attachments

• convergant.jpg
    convergant.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 506
There is a local store with photos and paintings from local artists with a very nice photo labeled "Hummingbird on Lupine". The only problem is that it is clearly a moth! I pointed this out once to the shop owner, who it turns out was also the photographer, and I was quite rudely told "I think I know what a hummingbird is". I just smiled walked out.

3:)

It's always so funny to come across a true, dyed-in-the-wool, supremely confident ignoramus. In my experience, I've found that their self-confidence varies in direct proportion to their ignorance. In University, we had a name for these people: know-nothing experts.

The word and the thing

3:)

It's always so funny to come across a true, dyed-in-the-wool, supremely confident ignoramus. In my experience, I've found that their self-confidence varies in direct proportion to their ignorance. In University, we had a name for these people: know-nothing experts.

But you can look at it from another point too: The word is not the thing - and the thing is not the word. Although we constantly mix them up, they have nothing to do with each other, and if someone chooses to call a moth "a hummingbird" he's free to do so; the -bird at the end doesn't mean anything either, just think of the ladybird.

There is only one limitation to that approach: You can use any name you like - but don't expect anyone to understand you!

Ivan

if someone chooses to call a moth "a hummingbird" he's free to do so; the -bird at the end doesn't mean anything either, just think of the ladybird.

There is only one limitation to that approach: You can use any name you like - but don't expect anyone to understand you!

Ivan

I'm a little confused by this. A hummingbird is different from a moth, and in this case the "bird" at the end does mean something. It is a bird. The point being made in this thread is that some moths are mistaken for hummingbirds, but they are still moths. If someone chooses erroneously to declare a moth to be a hummingbird I don't really see that as a freedom of speech issue. Sure, I have the right to say that 2+2=5, but that doesn't mean it is correct.

Hummingbird hawkmoth

Per my first post, seen 3 in yard. Last, being one that flew into the house this past May. For few seconds, early in the morning, for all practical purposes there was a hummingbird flying around in here, until I fully focused on it. Couldn't get a pic of it in flight, indoors or out. Did coax it to a box, managed a few frames, and released into predawn. Even at rest, tail end, & general profile are striking, compared to a hummer.
Super picture
Of the hummingbird hawkmoth at rest I have never seen a picture of this
Kind before quite unusual moths beautiful camouflage too.

Clarification

I'm a little confused by this. A hummingbird is different from a moth, and in this case the "bird" at the end does mean something. It is a bird. The point being made in this thread is that some moths are mistaken for hummingbirds, but they are still moths. If someone chooses erroneously to declare a moth to be a hummingbird I don't really see that as a freedom of speech issue. Sure, I have the right to say that 2+2=5, but that doesn't mean it is correct.

Hello, my post was mainly humorous - I thought the last sentence would make that clear.

However, it is still true that words are basically arbitrary; they get their meaning only by agreement, and especially when it comes to abstract terms you'll find that the meanings various people link to a certain term can and do differ enormously (just think of words like "god", "freedom", "love", "happiness" - they are obviously not the same for everyone). Mathematics are different, they don't depend on agreement. On the other hand, the language of mathematics DOES depend on agreement: in the decimal system 8+8=16, but in the hexadecimal system 8+8=... 10! (here the first digit "1" assumes the value of 16 - 16, now in the decimal system again)

But to get back on the track: YOU know that the -bird in "hummingbird" refers to a biological taxon and the -bird in "ladybird" does not. But if someone does not know it, he might think that the hummingBIRD is an insect just as the ladyBIRD is. This is a very simple example of the rather complex matter I was hinting at; only I don't think this is the place to go into it any further.

Ivan

Last edited:
Thank you for all of the replies! I was happy to find that hummingbird hawk moths are a rare sight, so I was able to experience something beautiful and uncommon. And now I know there are different types of hawk moths, too. When I took this picture, a man approached and told me it was not a hummingbird, but he could not remember the name of this "insect." I, too, replied that I was sure it was a hummingbird 3:)

And now I know.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back