• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Gull with stick (UK) (1 Viewer)

Roy C

Occasional bird snapper
When I saw this Gull from a distance the other day I thought it was some kind of rare long billed Gull lol. But after blowing up the picture I can see what looks like a stick in its mouth, it was flying around for a long time like this - could it be stuck in its throat?

Attachments

• gull with stick.jpg
    gull with stick.jpg
    183.1 KB · Views: 159
Possible but unlikely, Roy, it's a young Gull probably larking about with it...

Watching gulls on the local beach in the winter I often see herring gulls, especially immatures, picking up things which are inappropriate as food items. I suppose that one flying off with a stick is just a step up from that.

Actually, one day a winter or two ago there was a "hooligan" (my terminology!) immature herring gull which started fighting with an adult, then picked up a stone, flew up a short distance (probably less than 1 metre) and dropped it on the adult!

I noticed this bird flying around with the stick in its mouth for over 5 minutes which I thought was strange.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back