• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birds shot at Hampshire village pond (1 Viewer)

Apparently Neanderthals are alive and well and living in Hampshire.

(I can't help but wonder how many would have posted in this thread if it hadn't been "just" Ducks/Geese and a Moorhen)

Neanderthals only killed for food, as far as we know.

Actually, we have zero basis for even speculation about Neanderthal behavior in this respect.

To get back OT, louts with air guns? Here in Reno it's usually louts with bows-and-arrows shooting Canada Geese.

Last edited:
Actually, we have zero basis for even speculation about Neanderthal behavior in this respect.

To get back OT, louts with air guns? Here in Reno it's usually louts with bows-and-arrows shooting Canada Geese.

Yes, and at least one Long-eared Owl roost is routinely suppressed due to louts with crossbows shooting the owls having been cued by birders taking an interest in them. The barbarians are within the gates.

I blame the parents and all political liberals, who have eliminated all discipline from society.

John

Apparently Neanderthals are alive and well and living in Hampshire.

(I can't help but wonder how many would have posted in this thread if it hadn't been "just" Ducks/Geese and a Moorhen)

Was just reading an article the other day where they reckoned that Neanderthals had a similar brain size to the other humans at the time (Wikipedia says it was bigger); but just a different head shape leading to scientists of the time thinking they were stupid; probably killed off by Homo sapiens at some time.

That was an aside ...

Homo sapiens are alive and well and living in Hampshire ... local yobs/youths probably ... has the village posted up a reward yet?

"Neanderthals" was just the first word that popped into my head... well, the second word - I figured the first word wouldn't get past the Mods ;)

(I didn't really have anything useful to add to the thread, I just wanted to bump it to the top)

A couple of years ago the male Mute Swan on my local pond appeared one day with an airgun pellet protruding from his black bill knob. I called the RSPCA and at the second attempt they caught it and treated it before returning it a couple of days later. It is now busy being a father to seven cygnets. So we have a Neanderthal here too. Cross my fingers, no repeat yet.

I blame the parents and all political liberals, who have eliminated all discipline from society.

John

3:) Liberals get the blame for everything...

I'm old enough to remember when discipline was a lot harsher, but it didn't do wildlife any good - many lads where I grew up owned air rifles which they used indiscriminately on anything that flew, hopped or crawled. Stealing eggs was the norm rather than the exception. I would suggest that generally in UK wildlife is less molested by 'youths' than it used to be, although this may well be due to us raising a generation of sessile teens glued to smartphones and computers who rarely venture outside.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back