• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nikon ED50 vs MM3/4 50/60 vs Kowa TSN-501 (1 Viewer)

Hi,

thanks for the high mag images - I see what you mean with the Kowa being a bit worse, but the image is still perfectly usable which is impressive for a non ED scope at that price point.

Have fun with your MM3! Btw, which zom did you get with the MM3- SDLv2?

Joachim

Last edited:
Zoom eyepiece is the HDF T, #40862, which is 12-36 on this scope. Though oddly the Opticron site shows it being 15-45 on the MM4/50. In any case it's a good range, and at some point I could upgrade to the SDL zoom, or go to a fixed eyepiece. As a more casual birder, this may well be all the scope I'll ever need.

Zoom eyepiece is the HDF T, #40862, which is 12-36 on this scope. Though oddly the Opticron site shows it being 15-45 on the MM4/50. In any case it's a good range, and at some point I could upgrade to the SDL zoom, or go to a fixed eyepiece. As a more casual birder, this may well be all the scope I'll ever need.

Hi,

the 15-45x for HDF zoom on MM4-50 is a typo - it's correct in the description of the body. Not sure if an upgrade from HDF zoom to SDL makes sense - if you can use the HDF with it's slightly shorter eye relief, all you would gain is a little more field of view.

Joachim

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back