• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

ED78 vs ED82, a true difference? (1 Viewer)

wachipilotes

Comparatively, is there a difference in optical quality, translated into the images provided, between the Nikon ED78 and the Nikon ED82 spotting scopes?
Which is the best eyepiece for the ED78 model, and for the ED82?
Thanks,
Wachi.

I asked a lot about that in the other Nikon thread you posted in ;) To go short: no, hardly a difference but on high mags in low light you might notice the 4mm difference if you look closely...

Reading a lot about the eyepieces last few weeks, most people are most keen on the 30x and 38x, mc (with twist eyecups) most favorable but rare now, the ds version (for digiscoping, with fold over eyecup) might be found easier to find. The field of view especially is better than the zooms, and so is eye relief

Comparatively, is there a difference in optical quality, translated into the images provided, between the Nikon ED78 and the Nikon ED82 spotting scopes?
Which is the best eyepiece for the ED78 model, and for the ED82?
Thanks,
Wachi.

Here's what Kimmo Absetz had to say about the difference in brightness "Compared to the older Fieldscope ED 78, the newer scope is brighter by more than one would expect given the rather modest aperture increase. I did twilight tests comparing the new ED 82 to the old ED 78. Again, the new model's performance was markedly better."

Cribbed from the full review here : https://web.archive.org/web/20081214224910/http://www.alula.fi/GB/index.htm

Here's what Kimmo Absetz had to say about the difference in brightness "Compared to the older Fieldscope ED 78, the newer scope is brighter by more than one would expect given the rather modest aperture increase. I did twilight tests comparing the new ED 82 to the old ED 78. Again, the new model's performance was markedly better."

In two words: Better coatings.

Hermann

Cribbed from the full review here : https://web.archive.org/web/20081214224910/http://www.alula.fi/GB/index.htm

I was familiar with Kimmo's review before I got my 82ED, so I was expecting to see a big difference between it and my 78ED. I didn't and I still don't. I respect Kimmo's reviews very much and they generally match my own impressions, but in this case I just don't see it. Yes, I can see a small difference in brightness, but very small, and I don't see that the 82ED has markedly better contrast either. Both my 78ED and 82ED star test as excellent units. I had them out fairly recently side-by-side, the 78ED with the old 30x WF and the 82ED with the 30x DS, looking up into the canopy of some trees against the light. Although the 82ED had slightly better brightness due to higher transmission, I found no practical difference between them. Color is the same. I prefer the handling of the 78ED, so I use it more.

By comparison, when I compare a Leica 8x42 Ultra BA/BN binocular to any of the Ultravid 8x42 series, I see a very noticeable step up in brightness and color fidelity, as well as somewhat better contrast. I know (from current threads in the binocular subforum that others are not impressed with those differences between those bins, but I am. Again, I cannot say the same when comparing these scopes.

--AP

I was familiar with Kimmo's review before I got my 82ED, so I was expecting to see a big difference between it and my 78ED. I didn't and I still don't. I respect Kimmo's reviews very much and they generally match my own impressions, but in this case I just don't see it. Yes, I can see a small difference in brightness, but very small, and I don't see that the 82ED has markedly better contrast either. Both my 78ED and 82ED star test as excellent units. I had them out fairly recently side-by-side, the 78ED with the old 30x WF and the 82ED with the 30x DS, looking up into the canopy of some trees against the light. Although the 82ED had slightly better brightness due to higher transmission, I found no practical difference between them. Color is the same. I prefer the handling of the 78ED, so I use it more.

By comparison, when I compare a Leica 8x42 Ultra BA/BN binocular to any of the Ultravid 8x42 series, I see a very noticeable step up in brightness and color fidelity, as well as somewhat better contrast. I know (from current threads in the binocular subforum that others are not impressed with those differences between those bins, but I am. Again, I cannot say the same when comparing these scopes.

--AP

My experience exactly, having both the ED78 and ED82 with the super bright 30x DS eyepieces stuck on them.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back