• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New Swarovski EL? (1 Viewer)

I also hope Swaro gives the 32mm EL more ER even if they have to reduce the FOV to 7.5* to achieve this. 15mm ER is too short for many eyeglass wearers (and that's just the listed figure, the usable ER is probably 3-5mm less).

The eye-relief is fine for this eyeglass wearer who has deep set eyes, and I know it is for others as well (the review here-- http://www.birdwatching.com/optics/2008roundup/swarovski_el32mm.html --states "Although its published eye relief is 15mm, the 8x32 EL worked well even with Michael's aviator-style glasses"). If swaro decreased the field of view, their 8x32 would be a significantly less appealing option IMO. For that price I expect both good eye relief and a field of view at or near the top of its class.

Best,
Jim

Last edited:
The new 8.5x42 EL has both longer eye-relief and a wider view than the original, so we can hope for the same from an 8x32

I hope so too. "Extraordinary prices require extraordinary features!" :)

Actually, the usable eye-relief on the 8x32 EL is quite close to what is claimed, and is superior to the 16mm claimed for many lesser bins. In my experience, the eye-relief specs given by Leica, Zeiss, Swarovski, and Nikon tend to be more accurate than those of others (especially, in my experience, Swift and Bushnell).

That's good to hear, and it might be enough for some people. But for me, I need a couple mm more ER, preferably four mm more so I don't have to press down hard on the EPs, which is the main reason why I don't use glasses with bins. I end up with a "unibrow" from the crossbar in the frames.

I have found Nikon to be fairly accurate when it comes to ER specs. I've had quite a few Nikons over the years, and they have been consistent.

Nikon tends to be conservative when it comes to close focus numbers. The 8x32 LX and 8x30 EII focus closer than listed figures. My 8x32 SE is just a bit over spec, but my first sample SE was a foot under spec, and the 12x50 SE I had focused at 16 ft. - 8 ft. under spec!

So if they are going to "err," I'd rather them be too conservative than overly optimistic like Swift and Bushnell. Orion Vistas also have ER specs that are much less than stated.

Eyeglass wearers with deep set eyes or thick glasses do not have a wide selection of bins to choose from, but it is getting better for us four-eyed creatures.

Pre-orders shipped out to us yesterday, so some folks will have them in their hands early next week. I'm looking forward to hearing the feedback. I'm at the tipping point of ordering one myself, just need to sell a motorcycle and buy a new fridge first :C

Ben

Ben Lizdas
Sales Manager
Eagle Optics
www.eagleoptics.com

will you take trade ins on the old ELs?

edj

edj

We don't buy used equipment. Whenever I have had to personally sell optics in the past, I've used Ebay with quite a bit of success. Fortunately, Swarovski is a brand that has very good resale value so moving them on ebay shouldn't be much of a problem.

Ben

Ben Lizdas
Sales Manager
Eagle Optics
www.eagleoptics.com

edj

Edwin:

One of the large optical companies that does take trades is SWFA, out
of Red Oak, Texas. I have bought from and sold optics back to them, they
are good to deal with and have a good reputation.

The "Sample List" is their listing of used optics.

I have no connection with them, but have recently sold them one of my
used bins, and just offering you a choice. I spoke to them and they would
very much be interested in your trade.

Jerry

Last edited:
Swaro Japan is sponsoring a trade-in program offering 100,000 yen for the old EL towards a new Swarovision. Thing is, the old ELs still command 120-130,000 yen at auction! Not much of deal when you consider Swarovision's comparably inflated discounted price of 290,000 yen, nearly $1000 MORE than the USA price.

Last edited:
Jerry,

thank you for the reference

when I posted the trade in question, I was at least 1/2 jest, but maybe 1/2 serious
the SW ELs are lifetime keepers, and I doubt that the new ones would be worth the cost and effort to sell, and rebuy; but a trade in would make sense for SW

-reward old customers
-increase sales of new ELs
-improve secondary market for old ELs (and future pool of new EL buyers)

edj

Jerry,

thank you for the reference

when I posted the trade in question, I was at least 1/2 jest, but maybe 1/2 serious
the SW ELs are lifetime keepers, and I doubt that the new ones would be worth the cost and effort to sell, and rebuy; but a trade in would make sense for SW

-reward old customers
-increase sales of new ELs
-improve secondary market for old ELs (and future pool of new EL buyers)

edj

I know what you mean, I have the 8.5x42 EL's and the older ones are often selling in the $1,000-$1,200 range.
They are superb, and I don't think for many the new ones are worth the extra at double the price.
There is a fluid market for used Swaros. and I think that is what keeps their
values firm, as the service on pre-owned from Swaro. is top rate. :t:

I guess discussions like this keep everyone on their toes!

Jerry

I generally keep the optics that I buy,
selling, or giving away, only if I never use or donot like.
If I didnot have the ELs, I would go for the new ones,
but the old ones are good enough for me now,
and hopefully for a grandkid in the future.

edj

Last edited:
Had a call from In Focus today informing me that they have received their first batch of 10 Swarovisions and my 10X42 ELs should be with me tomorrow. Bit of a bonus since I am off to Thailand birding on Friday and I had no expectation of getting them by then.

First job though is to put them through their paces against my mate's Zeiss FLs as they have been bought 'on approval'.

Ian

Had a call from In Focus today informing me that they have received their first batch of 10 Swarovisions and my 10X42 ELs should be with me tomorrow. Bit of a bonus since I am off to Thailand birding on Friday and I had no expectation of getting them by then.

Ian

weather permitting :-O

Yeeeesssss! :D
Just arrived home and its Christmas all over again. A parcel has arrived and they are here!!!! I can't wait until after my tea, I must open it now. If you have not guessed already they are my new 8.5x42 EL Swarovision bins.
It doesn't matter that they are not gift wrapped. Quick, where is the knife? Where are the scissors? Anything? Wait must wash my hands first, don't want to get any marks on them. That's better, here we go......

Sorry, I am too excited to type any more now, I will get back to you later. Bye.;)

Yeeeesssss! :D
Just arrived home and its Christmas all over again. A parcel has arrived and they are here!!!! I can't wait until after my tea, I must open it now. If you have not guessed already they are my new 8.5x42 EL Swarovision bins.
It doesn't matter that they are not gift wrapped. Quick, where is the knife? Where are the scissors? Anything? Wait must wash my hands first, don't want to get any marks on them. That's better, here we go......

Sorry, I am too excited to type any more now, I will get back to you later. Bye.;)

No, Ian, don´t!!! Wait till tomorrow! Pretend it´s Christmas Eve and you´re six years old,and savour the anticipation! (That´s what I intend doing when mine arrive.....;))

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back