• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Request - forested areas in W Palm Beach area? (1 Viewer)

merryslug

... or Boynton, etc... just not as far away as Miami.

Relatives are visiting, and my coworker would like a place to go birding with them.

Her request is for wooded areas with warblers (she's tired of wading birds :)).

Any ideas?

I recall there's a forested area near the Loxahatchee NWR visitor center. Think there's a trail that runs through it. You can also see landbirds walking the dikes, e.g. Painted Bunting. Not sure what can be seen in the forested area now though.

Best,
Jim

Last edited:
For warblers or other perching birds, I'd still include Green Cay as worth a look, since it does have those three wooded stretches and a good selection of warblers, phoebes, jays, and woodpeckers.

I'd also maybe recommend Okeehelee, depending on when they're going.

If they wouldn't mind a shortish drive, Fern Forest in north Broward might be decent too for perchers, along with owls.

Jupiter Ridge isn't 'forested' but is a decent scrub jay location. And Dickinson has plenty of forested trail areas that might do well for songbirds and perchers.

previously I've always seen them on the 'center' trail (I forget the trail names!)...when you head in past the center, there's a trail to the right and left, both that go over water, and the longer main trail straight ahead through the trees. That's where most of the owls are spotted.

Frenchman's Forest in Jupiter is a beautiful walk. Apoxee Park is a walk through a hammock and wetlands. There's.a boardwalk too. If you get up to the levee there are gators bobcats and deer. Go to Pbc.org natural areas or Google palm beach county natural areas. Each area has a hotline page.Some of them are several hundred acres.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back