• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Anyone know about Buntings at Okeeheelee? (1 Viewer)

Zackiedawg

Just curious if any of you 'locals' have heard of any of the buntings having returned to Okeeheelee so far this month - and in general, when do they usually start becoming reliable to spot there? I actually never knew about the prevalence of indigos and painteds up there until earlier this year - I headed over in May but it was too late by then. I usually only set to see the occasional spotting at Green Cay, but from what I've heard once in season they are extremely common and easy to witness at the Okeeheelee feeders. I just don't know how soon I should go to look for them!

I can't really help since I just started going there recently - almost went yesterday but the heat was ridiculous (five minutes weeding in my backyard convinced me I wasn't going anywhere).

I'll probably check it out Friday or Sunday and I'll let you know if I spot any (you may have already been by then though).

Do you know if they frequent the feeder behind the Nature Center, or further back in the woods?

When I went there, I was told they are right at the feeders out the back door of the nature center...but when I went in May it was already too late for spotting them, and they weren't even actively supplying the feeders.

I'm headed out of town Thu through Mon, so I won't make it this weekend - I'll look forward to hearing your report. If you don't see any, maybe one of the folks in the center might know when they start typically showing up.

Okay, got the scoop.

I went by Saturday morning and there was nothing at the feeders but the usual - doves, jays, cardinals, grackles.

So I checked with the Nature Center folks and got this: Yes, they are known for their buntings - primarily Painted but Indigo show up as well, and usually on the back feeder. But he said they don't show up until November.

And on a side note I asked them about the Wood Ducks s well. Interestingly, though they usued to be migrational he said their s are staying year-round now, and they just released a bunch into the deer pen.

Interesting - I hadn't even realized they had wood ducks there. I need to hunt around a bit more, as I might have missed a trail or route - the one I took through the pine scrub was pretty barren - I spotted almost nothing there except the doves/jays/etc at the feeders. Good to know about the buntings though - I won't worry about heading up there until farther along in the winter.

SLUG...Any luck in getting to Okeeheelee the past week or two? Trying to see if the buntings are back there reliably yet.

Excellent - keep me informed if you can. I might be able to carve out some time to run up there on Sat or Sun if I know they're there.

I went this morning and saw nothing. Really - nothing. Okay, I saw one Mockingbird and later a Turkey Vulture soaring high above. I know I don't have the best "bird eyes," but shouldn't there be more birds around??

There were plenty of butterflies and a squirrel.

I don't know, maybe it was when I went - got there aobut 9AM. Next time I'll try for earlier, or late afternoon.

Sounds like I won't bother to go just yet then. That was my experience last March when I tried going to Okeeheelee - nothing. I was too late past the season, but I was surprised how dead it was - not so much as a blue jay or grackle.

I think I may try heading tomorrow to Gumbo Limbo and Rutherford to see if I can get any luck in finding that chuck-will's widow again, or the yellow-crowned night heron with some better light. If it's dead there, I may wrap up at Green Cay.

I ran into someone today who said that she's seen Painted at Okeeheelee recently, along with the Wood Ducks (but you have to know where to look for the ducks), and an interesting woodpecker. Sadly I dont' remember which woodpecker she said - would a Red-headed be out of bounds? I know it wasn't Red-bellied.

In any case I think it will require patience, waiting by the back feeder, but they are there.

buntings

I use to get scores of painted buntings in my yard in davie but they developed heavily and they became fewer and fewer. Then a few years ago all I had in my feeder was a rat so I stopped seeding. This is one of many shots I took.

Attachments

• Painted%20Bunting.jpg
    Painted%20Bunting.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 126
Good to know. Dicksissel would be new for me too. Where precisely at the park were you making your spottings? The one time I went, I was behind the building and there were feeders, but no birds - I was told that was the bunting location. I circled around the scrub trails - fairly long walk - mostly dry scrub, some burnoff area, very little water visible, and it came back around on the left side of the building where there were some benches and a park-like area. I don't know if there were other trails I missed, as I hear some people referencing a pond/wetland area, which I never saw.

The feeder behind the bldg is the place to be. It must just be a time-of-year thing, because I had pretty much given up on Okeeheelee as a birding spot. Now I can't wait to go back!

It may look empty when you walk up, but sit and give it 15 minutes and they will start showing. I sat down yesterday thinking I'd be there for just a bit - left 3 hours later (and at 3pm, probably when it was getting really good!).

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back