• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hello, can you help identify this bird? (1 Viewer)

Wulfrune

Hello there, a week ago, my family and I were on a boat out of Ullapool Scotland, when I captured the following shots. There seemed to be a aerial battle going on with these 2 birds, I know that the seabird is a Gannet, but I'd be very interested in knowing what the other bird is, my best guess ( and it is a wild one) is a Red Kite, any care to enlighten me please?

Many thanks

Wulfrune

Attachments

• IMG_1953e1.jpg
    IMG_1953e1.jpg
    223.7 KB · Views: 47
Hi Wulfrune and a warm welcome to you from all the Staff and Moderators.

The other bird you have there is a Bonxie, or Great Skua. You can read more about them in our Opus article.

Welcome to BirdForum! I am sure you will find lots to interest you here, and I hope you enjoy your visits.

Thank for the helpful replies and the kind words. Although I'm a total novice at such things, a person does have to start somewhere. The photo you see there was taken using a 300mm lens; off a bouncy boat, so I'm quite please at the results. I do have the whole battle from start to finish, with some shots at albeit lesser quality, but if you're like it see them, I'll post thus up in sequence for you.

I love wilds birds, but what I'm about to tell you may send a shudder down your spine, I am also extremely interested in aerial photography with my DJI Inspire 1 drone.

This is how I stand regarding birds and me flying MY "bird"...... Ever come to a traffic island and given way to the right? we all should. My attitude is, the birds were there first, so it's their sky..... I just use it when they don't. There are times when our feathered friends take exception to a large, noisy 4 winged predator flying in their midst, but I and am glad to say the majority of the rest of the UAV (Unmanned Aerial Vehicle) community are constantly on the look out for birds and when they appear, we cede the sky to them and move on.

I like to think of myself as a skilful pilot and where's birds in this scenario are the "1958 TUPOLEV TU-22 BLINDERs" of the sky, a good pilot is like a stunt helicopter commander.

Long story short, I (we) all love the "Air" and some of the things that fly in it and my fellow members & I in the community we exist in will do our utmost to respect all it's users, be they natural or mechanical.

Needless to say, sometimes I'm going to get some awesome footage, taken from differing perspectives, so if I do, I'll make sure I post them all on here.

Thanks for you kindness and help guys.

m(_ _)m

Wulfrune

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back