• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Unusual makings on a Tits breast feathers. West Derby UK today (1 Viewer)

Hi all

I was watching the derby today - poor match as with most derbies - and I noticed this fella on the nieghbours hedge at the back and just took a couple of snaps through the patio windows before he flew off.

I take it he's a Great Tit, but look at those unusual breast feather markings. Could he be a cross/hybrid? Or is this quite 'usual' with this species.

thanks

Attachments

• tit.jpg
    tit.jpg
    456.2 KB · Views: 114
Can't be anything other than Great Tit, looks to have missing feathers to me?

You can clearly see a step, a difference between the depth of the yellow and black feathers, you can also see some of the grey, down feathers.

A

It's possible that the extra dark markings on the breast are extreme feather wear - I had a female House Sparrow with a similar marking across her breast a few years back and couldn't work it out, someone at the BTO suggested it was feather wear consistent with squeezing in and out of a tight hole (nest hole) and the tips of the feathers wearing down to the downy bases. That seems to explain the slight crescent shape to the markings in the upper section.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for the input guys - very interesting.

Feather wear and missing feathers - all good explanations of what can be seen.

If he pops around again then I'll try and get a better photo.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back