• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Black outs: 8x30e 8.3 WF (1 Viewer)

Tomly

Not long ago I picked up a set of Nikon 8x30e 8.3 WF binoculars. They are the most recent multi coated version prior to the E2. I understand these to be a fairly popular set of binoculars and I do find they have a lot going for them: 3D effects, great center sharpness, great form factor.

Maybe I’ll settle into them, but I find them a little tiring for extended use due to the finicky eye placement. On center they are wonderful, but if my eye placement isn’t perfectly centered (due to scanning the field or moving the view to follow an object) I get kidney beaning or partial blackouts. I assume this is a natural quality of these binoculars rather than a maintenance issue. Is that accurate?

I’m sure part of the equation is poor technique (advice?). I’m also open to selling/trading these 8x30 for something similar but a little more relaxed (and ,perhaps, waterproofed). Thoughts?

Maybe I’ll settle into them, but I find them a little tiring for extended use due to the finicky eye placement. On center they are wonderful, but if my eye placement isn’t perfectly centered (due to scanning the field or moving the view to follow an object) I get kidney beaning or partial blackouts. I assume this is a natural quality of these binoculars rather than a maintenance issue. Is that accurate?

Hi,

in my experience (I don't wear glasses) blackouts are usually caused by the eye being too close to the eyepiece and I'll have to change my technique for holding (rest eyecups on eyesocket rim rather than pushing in) or make eyecup extensions from cycle innertube...

Joachim

Not long ago I picked up a set of Nikon 8x30e 8.3 WF binoculars. They are the most recent multi coated version prior to the E2. I understand these to be a fairly popular set of binoculars and I do find they have a lot going for them: 3D effects, great center sharpness, great form factor.

I’m sure part of the equation is poor technique (advice?). I’m also open to selling/trading these 8x30 for something similar but a little more relaxed (and ,perhaps, waterproofed). Thoughts?

Hi Tomly, :hi:

Welcome to Bird Forum!

I get "Kidney Beaning" when I use my Nikon 8x32 SE. I can make it disappear with the following technique: I brace the top edge of the eye cups up against and slightly under my eyebrows and tilt the binocular very slightly upward when I am using it.

It is known here as the MOLCET technique and it is named after Steve Moore, whose Bird Forum handle is "mooreorless"; and yours truly, "Ceasar." Both of us were using the technique independently of each other. It means "mooreorless ceasar's eyebrow technique".:t: and it was given that name by "Brockenroller," another Bird Forum member.

Bob

Last edited:
Thanks for the advice! I’ll play around with distance and the MOLCET method.

Any thoughts on a more weatherproof alternative?

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back