Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Canon SX70 .... September

Old Saturday 24th November 2018, 23:32   #51
Steve McDonald

Quote:
Originally Posted by HermitIbis View Post
Manuals in various languages are available here. The fifth (last) manual is the English version. Others are in Swedish, Greek, Danish...
The German Canon site has actually managed to publish the version in German only.

These manuals offer only basic information, very poor effort for a major company like Canon. I more and more get the impression the SX70 is a rushed, last-ditch production. Still there is hope...
I bought a Canon camera a dozen years ago, before there were very many discussion forums to exchange the information, that is not provided by the manufacturers. The controls for features such as Contrast, Sharpness and Color Saturation were hidden in a place that was accessed by a button that was separate from the main controls. Nothing was explained about it in the printed manual. It took me months, before I learned that those controls even existed or how to work them. For the small number of us who come to these forums, this is no longer a problem as we can help ourselves. But the other 98% of camera users have not discovered this option.

One suggestion is to read the manuals in other languages, as sometimes, more information is provided in them. Many online translators are available to assist in this. I'm impressed by how many of those from other countries are becoming so fluent in English, mainly due to their school systems, that teach it from the first year of enrollment.

In the newly-released manuals for the SX70 by Canon USA, there seems to be nothing about the video bit-rates for various modes. But on their website, they have separate information pages with these details. The bit-rate for the highest quality level of 4K 30p or 25p, is 120 Mbps. For 1080 60p or 50p, it's 60 Mbps. These bit-rates are higher than is used by other manufacturers of similar models. The Nikon P1000 uses a variable bit-rate (VBR) for 4K 30p or 25p video, of about 78 Mbps. A higher bit-rate actually makes it easier to decode and render in editing, as there's less compression, although the file sizes are larger. If you experiment with the bit-rates of edited 4K production output, it's surprising how low a rate is needed to provide playback quality of an adequate level.

Last edited by Steve McDonald : Saturday 24th November 2018 at 23:46.
Old Friday 30th November 2018, 12:29   #52
HermitIbis

The German manual is as poor as the English version. OK, the camera could still be great. Merely a hint that the SX70 is not a priority for Canon. The new shipping date for the camera seems to be January 18th, 2019.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McDonald View Post
The bit-rate for the highest quality level of 4K 30p or 25p, is 120 Mbps. For 1080 60p or 50p, it's 60 Mbps. These bit-rates are higher than is used by other manufacturers of similar models. The Nikon P1000 uses a variable bit-rate (VBR) for 4K 30p or 25p video, of about 78 Mbps. A higher bit-rate actually makes it easier to decode and render in editing, as there's less compression, although the file sizes are larger. If you experiment with the bit-rates of edited 4K production output, it's surprising how low a rate is needed to provide playback quality of an adequate level.
Very interesting, thanks for the information. Extracting stills from 4K videos is one of the reasons why I am tempted by the SX70.
Old Friday 30th November 2018, 13:10   #53
jeffhosier

If you look on Amazon UK, it's available for next day delivery. There's also a customer review.
Old Friday 30th November 2018, 13:58   #54
HermitIbis

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffhosier View Post
If you look on Amazon UK, it's available for next day delivery. There's also a customer review.
Only one German dealer among 22 claims immediate availablity. The same company offers it on Amazon.de - for delivery circa December 11th. The review on the UK site looks like an outlier.

Last edited by HermitIbis : Friday 30th November 2018 at 14:00.
Old Wednesday 20th February 2019, 14:55   #55
John In Ireland

I am surprised there are no sample photographs on Birdforum yet as the camera seems to be on the shelves now. I will keep waiting. Perhaps most are thinking the same as me before they buy.

Check out my web! http://johnfoss.yolasite.com/
Old Wednesday 20th February 2019, 23:29   #56
Steve McDonald

Quote:
Originally Posted by John In Ireland View Post
I am surprised there are no sample photographs on Birdforum yet as the camera seems to be on the shelves now. I will keep waiting. Perhaps most are thinking the same as me before they buy.
I've seen enough photos and videos from the SX70 in other places, to convince me that I will not be buying this model. The image quality is a big disappointment. The photos I've seen that were just passable in quality, had been shot in RAW and processed. If Sony doesn't finally produce another full-size superzoom model within the next two months, I'll probably spend much more money and get a Nikon P1000. There are many very good pictures from it online and some skilled photographers have gotten shots with it, that are barely distinguishable from those of a good D-SLR. And it does have a mike shoe.
Old Wednesday 20th February 2019, 23:34   #57
John In Ireland

Some good reviews from people who have bought it on Amazon.

Last edited by John In Ireland : Thursday 21st February 2019 at 08:13.
Old Thursday 21st February 2019, 00:02   #58
Steve McDonald

Quote:
Originally Posted by John In Ireland View Post
Some good reviews from people who gave bought it on Amazon.
Everyone has to decide for themselves the level of photo quality they will accept in a camera. On Amazon USA, there are as many bad reviews of this model, as there are good ones.
Old Friday 22nd February 2019, 09:36   #59
Neil G.

Canon have been a complete disappointment as far as this model is concerned.They knew what they were up against with the p900 and they have totally failed in reality.Canon can do much better than this so why allow a camera onto the market that is a backward step.
I'm afraid this has been a costly mistake for Canon.

BF Supporter 2018 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Friday 22nd February 2019, 10:21   #60
John In Ireland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil G. View Post
Canon have been a complete disappointment as far as this model is concerned.They knew what they were up against with the p900 and they have totally failed in reality.Canon can do much better than this so why allow a camera onto the market that is a backward step.
I'm afraid this has been a costly mistake for Canon.
Yes perhaps so. I really wanted this model to come good to replace my Canon SX50. Now I am struggling to find one better. So I will just stick with it. I would have gone for the high end Sony but feel it is lacking on zoom for birding. The lower end Sonys have the zoom but that's about all. The Nikon P1000 just seems to me to be too much as the reviews and samples seem to show its downfall at full zoom so what's the point? That is its main feature.

Old Friday 22nd February 2019, 11:44   #61
Neil G.

I totally see where you are coming from John.There are a few bridge cameras out there that are really close to hitting the jackpot but don't quite make it.I think the technology is there to produce that perfect bridge camera but at what cost to the manufacturers.
I have always believed that sometime in the future bridge type cameras will take over from slr's with interchangeable lenses.....it just makes sense.I also believe the technology is already with us to produce a bridge camera to genuinely compete at a great level with dslr's........manufacturers won't do it though as they have to much invested in the rest of their range of products.
It may be that Canon has seen the success that nikon has had with it's p900 and 1000 and thought it better not to bother offering a really great bridge camera in order to protect sales of it's other designs.
This may sound far fetched but we all know what canon is capable of and a really awesome bridge camera could definately eat into the sales of more expensive equipment......who knows.

BF Supporter 2018 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Friday 22nd February 2019, 16:33   #62
crazyfingers

To me the perfect bridge camera would be the SX50 lens coupled with an improved version of its 12mp sensor (not a high noise 20 mp sensor) and with current day processors and electronics.

BF Supporter 2011 2012 2013 2014 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Friday 22nd February 2019, 17:44   #63
John In Ireland

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyfingers View Post
To me the perfect bridge camera would be the SX50 lens coupled with an improved version of its 12mp sensor (not a high noise 20 mp sensor) and with current day processors and electronics.
Yes I agree. And perhaps with 4k and mic input for good measure!

Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: