Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Birding in E Poland

Old Thursday 20th December 2018, 15:51   #1
oliwierpl

Birding in E Poland

Hi everyone!
I've decided to create a new thread to bring closer local wildlife to all of you. It's also a way of showing you how birding in Poland looks like at a different time of year when you might normally think of coming.

------------------------------

On 17th November with a group of friends we decided to visit endless agricultural fields located just next to the border with Belarus in Krynki area. As we arrived we spotted a mixed flock of ca. 250 passerines with Yellowhammer being the most numerous bird. There were also a few Greenfinches, Chaffinches, Redpolls and even one Brambling. Rough-legged Buzzard hovered above a group of frozen birches giving a spectacular view. We also found a group of about 200 Golden Plovers and saw at least 2 Horned Larks which were migrating westly. Further on the fields we bumped into a herd of at least 100 Bisons! They were feeding leisurely enabling us to spend about an hour with them. Calmness was disturbed only by a huge female of Goshawk which flew close to us. It sat for a moment on an orthodox cross, what a pity that it was a bit too short to take an atmospheric photo! Later during the day 3 Elks dignifiedly came across our road and headed to Belarus.

But the highlight of the trip was an amazing sunset which was in my opinion the prettiest one we had this winter in Poland so far. Have a look at it…

Snowy winter which has just came to Poland recently brought some Waxwings there. Had a strange view a few days ago when I saw my first flock of Waxwings in the vicinity of two White Storks which decided to winter in Poland...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4906-1030x687.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	94.4 KB
ID:	682711  Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5036-1030x687.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	142.0 KB
ID:	682712  Click image for larger version

Name:	omy-IMG_20181117_1531440.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	147.3 KB
ID:	682713  
Birding in the famous Białowieża Forest (excursions to its Belarusian part for Great Grey Owl ) and the vast Biebrza Marshes. Owls, Woodpeckers (up to 10 species), Warblers (Aquatic etc.) and much more.
Old Friday 21st December 2018, 11:00   #2
Original PaulE

Quote:
Originally Posted by oliwierpl View Post
Hi everyone!
I've decided to create a new thread to bring closer local wildlife to all of you. It's also a way of showing you how birding in Poland looks like at a different time of year when you might normally think of coming.

On 17th November with a group of friends we decided to visit endless agricultural fields located just next to the border with Belarus in Krynki area. As we arrived we spotted a mixed flock of ca. 250 passerines with Yellowhammer being the most numerous bird. There were also a few Greenfinches, Chaffinches, Redpolls and even one Brambling. Rough-legged Buzzard hovered above a group of frozen birches giving a spectacular view. We also found a group of about 200 Golden Plovers and saw at least 2 Horned Larks which were migrating westly. Further on the fields we bumped into a herd of at least 100 Bisons! They were feeding leisurely enabling us to spend about an hour with them. Calmness was disturbed only by a huge female of Goshawk which flew close to us. It sat for a moment on an orthodox cross, what a pity that it was a bit too short to take an atmospheric photo! Later during the day 3 Elks dignifiedly came across our road and headed to Belarus.

But the highlight of the trip was an amazing sunset which was in my opinion the prettiest one we had this winter in Poland so far. Have a look at it…

Snowy winter which has just came to Poland recently brought some Waxwings there. Had a strange view a few days ago when I saw my first flock of Waxwings in the vicinity of two White Storks which decided to winter in Poland...
Well a good start for your new thread, Some interesting sightings, are the Bison wild? how many are there certainly an impressive looking group!
Old Friday 21st December 2018, 11:18   #3
oliwierpl

Yes, Bisons are wild. They normally gather in big herds in winter ( mainly females and calves, but there were some young bulls as well) and spend this time of year on huge agricultural fields.

The group was composed of almost 100% of the Knyszynska Forest's population.
By the way there are 5 Bison 'wild herds' in Poland with Białowieża one being the most numerous (~500 individuals)
Birding in the famous Białowieża Forest (excursions to its Belarusian part for Great Grey Owl ) and the vast Biebrza Marshes. Owls, Woodpeckers (up to 10 species), Warblers (Aquatic etc.) and much more.
Old Friday 21st December 2018, 13:37   #4
Original PaulE

Quote:
Originally Posted by oliwierpl View Post
Yes, Bisons are wild. They normally gather in big herds in winter ( mainly females and calves, but there were some young bulls as well) and spend this time of year on huge agricultural fields.

The group was composed of almost 100% of the Knyszynska Forest's population.
By the way there are 5 Bison 'wild herds' in Poland with Białowieża one being the most numerous (~500 individuals)
Thanks for the info,glad to see there are places where big mammals can still exist.
Old Monday 24th December 2018, 15:06   #5
oliwierpl

Winter came so I decided to hang out a bit with my friend in Knyszynska Forest. Walking along my favorite paths paid off as not very far from the car first tracks of Canidae crossed our 'human' road. That was a pack of 4-5 wolves. The original ideas was that we walk down the river in search of woodpeckers. The habitat created by a family of Beavers was perfect for woodpeckers but as soon as we found wolf tracks we changed our plans and decided to follow them. It ended up in 7km walk filed with knowledge of how this biggest carnivore of region's forest behave in the wild. I'm always impressed how well they walk in single file.

Silence of the forest was only disturbed by squeaking of Goldcrests and Tits as well as loud calls of Ravens which are leisurely preparing to their breeding season.

-----------------------------------------
Photos taken by Tomek Kułakowski presenting wolf tracks, beaver's activity and smartness of the wolves (they had used fallen tree instead of walking through the stream )
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_20181223_1122153.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	50.1 KB
ID:	682950  Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20181223_1126523.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	329.8 KB
ID:	682951  Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20181223_1130517.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	263.3 KB
ID:	682952  
Old Wednesday 20th February 2019, 19:57   #6
oliwierpl

The weather has changed. As the rain came down, the snow started to melt.

When I heard that the first flocks of Geese and Ducks arrived to Biebrza Marshes I decided to visit the area. On an overcast Sunday it was a perfect time to scan the valley for birds. And indeed, there were some signs of the spring. Few thousands of Greylags, Bean and White-fronted Geese, first Pintails, Wigeons and Lapwings, Skylarks migrating above, at the end of the day even 3 Cranes flew past the hill I was standing on! But rather cold wind, a lack of sun and frozen riverbed gave rather „the winter is not over” scenery. Wintering birds such as Merlin or a pair of Hen Harriers (both quite rare in the region) even strenghten the feeling…

But then Tuesday came. With a sun shining in the morning and temperature at about 7°C I headed north-east, to the Knyszyn Forest. I chose the place with different types of habitats from fertile oak-hornbeam forest through wet alder forest to fresh coniferous forest. There weren’t many birds, just Crested and Willow Tits singing around, Black Woodpecker drumming and two Middle-spotted Woodpeckers establishing their territories. But in this part of the year you can experience the change in nature by an overall impression of it. And while I was looking at the awakened forest I felt like the spring is about to come…

For some pictures please visit my website: http://wildlifeguide.pl/blog/middle-...gns-of-spring/

PS.
According to weather forecast there will be a short comeback of winter on the weekend. I’m planning to visit Belarus then so I will report what happens up...
Old Wednesday 27th February 2019, 17:06   #7
oliwierpl

As I had mentioned in the previous post I just came back from Belarus.

I've visited belarusian part of Białowieża Forest which is a bit different (more marshy) than the forest on the polish side.
During the weekend I saw Great Grey Owl 5 times in total! In addition there were f.e. Grey-headed, Black and White-backed Woodpeckers.

I'm sharing picture of Great Grey Owl with you. A few more photos, video and a longer trip report can be found there: http://wildlifeguide.pl/blog/late-fe...owieza-forest/
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	MSZARNY.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	105.9 KB
ID:	688254  
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: