• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Backup pgms (1 Viewer)

Katy Penland

This is probably going to be the stupidest question ever posted here, so don't laugh. But I cannot get Windows 2000's "backup wizard" to recognize my E drive (CD drive) so I can get on with backing up my entire "My Documents" directory. Is this typical Windows squirreliness? Do I need to find a free or buy a separate backup utility?

BTW, I have regularly backed up various important areas of this directory, but I'm moving and I want to backup all my created data before packing up the PC.

There are mornings like this when I long for the old DOS xcopy X:X days. ;)

Hopefully this won't be the stupidest reply.... :)

The backup wizard needs to have the storage device (your Drive E:) enabled in the "computer management" console. You can find this by:

Start> Programs> Accessories> Administrative Tools> Computer Management
If you don't find it there, you can find it in Administrative Tools in the Control Panel. You will need to have administrator rights, for example if the PC is on a network.

Make sure your CD writer drive is listed as a storage device, and is properly listed as a writable drive, not a generic drive.

Programs that write to CDs, like Nero Burning ROM or EZCD Creator often have their own internal drivers. Are you able to write to CD with other programs? Can you write to CDs with window's internal CD writing, i.e. "Open the writable folder" or something to that effect.

Good luck, I'll help you if I can.

Thanks for the reply, Ryan. I'll PM you as I've got a few more stupid questions and no need to bore the stuffing out of everybody else! ;)

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back