• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New Swarovski EL? (1 Viewer)

LOL! I wish someone would say something really, really bad about the new EL´s. I had convinced myself that I would never want a pair. My own hedge fund has run out, so I´d have to sell all my binos and live the rest of my life with one pair of (new) EL´s. If this is what happens to a lot of obsessives, the net will be awash with good deals on secondhand binos over the next few months. (Someone, please tell me the optics of the new EL´s are no improvement on those of Nikon EII´s.....;))

I'll say something really, really bad about the new EL's -- they cost $2479!

For $754 LESS, I could buy a TeleVue Refractor 76 APO f/6.3 Package, with Custom soft case, screw-on lens cover, sliding dew shield, Plossl eyepiece, 2" focuser, 2" Everbrite diagonal, 1.25" adapter (all with clamp ring fittings), Ivory powder coated tube with FREE SHIPPING at Scope City:

http://www.scopecity.com/detail.cfm?ProductID=105

I could use it for birding or for stargazing, and I'd have enough money leftover to buy a binoviewer and a second EP.

Even after reading that one rave review, I don't think the new EL would be worth $2,147 more than your EII.

Hope that makes you feel better. It did me. In fact, I changed the label on my pig's feet jar to "TV 76 Package Fund". :)

Yeah, I know, but already I´m calculating how much I´d get for my "old" EL´s and EII´s and Canon IS´s and...and....and....my dog, and my in-laws, and my bicycle, and...I´m beginning to hyperventilate. I must remain calm until I´ve read sufficient "in-the-field" user-reviews. And remember that we usually overestimate the effect on our long-term happiness of future events. Or something.

Yeah, I know, but already I´m calculating how much I´d get for my "old" EL´s and EII´s and Canon IS´s and...and....and....my dog, and my in-laws, and my bicycle, and...I´m beginning to hyperventilate. I must remain calm until I´ve read sufficient "in-the-field" user-reviews. And remember that we usually overestimate the effect on our long-term happiness of future events. Or something.

Or as someone else once put it: Becoming is superior to Being.

If you buy the new EL and reach binonirvana, that will end the cycle of binosamsara... or so you think... but old Buddha never figured on the media effects of multi-level marketing or Internet bin forums.

You will be going along content as a fledgling with a mouth full of fresh worms, using your Swarobright, Swarodour, Swarovision ELs when lo and behold, the news of a "neu, neu und verbessert" EL with Swarohyperion 99.99% light transmission p-coatings, 10 extra layers Swaronova AR coatings, and body made from Swarofoam that takes the shape of your hands, Swarocolor nanocrystals that enhance color depth, and GPS built in for tracking bird migrations for $5497 is announced.

And you're going to be sitting in front of your wall screen computer hyperventilating, gasping into the voice translation software "I wish someone would say something really, really bad about the Neu Neu EL´s. I had convinced myself that I would never want a pair." :)

No doubt there were will be more incremental improvements to come with the EL and other top bins, but as I mentioned on other threads, I think we're getting to the point of diminishing returns with optics.

Smaller and smaller improvements in performance are coming at greater and greater cost as alpha bin companies try to push every last photon through the lenses until finally the materials themselves and our eyes become the limiting factors, and they finally move on to digital technology or nanotechnology, IOW, a true revolutionary idea instead of incremental improvements on last year's model.

Or how about this one: A holographic binocamera that captures an image of the bird at a distance and projects a 3-D image in your hand! Now that's innovation!

Since I prefer the views through porros, I would simply prefer upgrades to the glass and coatings on my old porros.

Knowing this ain't going to happen, and trying to live within my means (which is really "mean" at this point), I will stick with my EIIs.

Their only real shortcoming is that they are not 8.5x42s.

Last edited:
Since I prefer the views through porros, I would simply prefer upgrades to the glass and coatings on my old porros.

Knowing this ain't going to happen, and trying to live within my means (which is really "mean" at this point), I will stick with my EIIs.

Their only real shortcoming is that they are not 8.5x42s.
Good point, and the way my sentiments at the moment....my EII´s have become my personal optical "reference standard". Hard to beat, and I´m assuming no roof, no matter how it´s fashioned, can replicate the exaggerated 3D of porros. (For the moment, my EL´s are rainy-day backup bins, which is handy because I´ll be birding tomorrow and floods are forecast...)

Hard to beat, and I´m assuming no roof, no matter how it´s fashioned, can replicate the exaggerated 3D of porros. (For the moment, my EL´s are rainy-day backup bins, which is handy because I´ll be birding tomorrow and floods are forecast...)

I've heard that at 12' the Swaro Vision will "see" 12' to each side equalling a 45 degree view.If a planet is facing you you will be able to see the sides as well!

A uk dealer is adverstising the new EL 8.5 x 42 for £1579.00 on their website.With that in mind they are certainly not on my short list at this moment in time.

A uk dealer is adverstising the new EL 8.5 x 42 for £1579.00 on their website.With that in mind they are certainly not on my short list at this moment in time.
Yes, I saw that. Another advertises it pre-ordered at 1,750 sterling, so there´s major price disparity even before it´s available. I wonder will that settle down on release?

lets also not forget that in the UK the vat is due to revert back to 17.5% soon , may be a good time to get one pre ordered from that particular dealer now.
especially in view that the bin is supplied on 2 weeks approval as well .....

Or how about this one: A holographic binocamera that captures an image of the bird at a distance and projects a 3-D image in your hand! Now that's innovation!

wouldn't it just be cooler if it hovered about the binocamera so that you can turn it around and look at the vent coloration ;)

taking notes,
Dale

I'm no optics expert, but I recently compared the 8x32 EL with the 8x42; I got the impression there was more distortion with the 8x42. I guess I feel that the 8x32 already gives me a view that is "like using your eyes". I notice that there is no new 8x32 el planned--AFAIK. So do you know if this is mostly an issue for those who favor the 8x42?

Also, how fast did you find the focus on the new el? I have seen some say it is longer/slower; another claimed it was a new "accelerating focus".

Best,
Jim

I'm no expert either, I'm afraid! I know a lot of people really rate the 8x32, but I've never looked through a pair. As far as I know, distortion of one form or the other is an issue for pretty much all binoculars. Alphas [well, certainly Leica and Swarovski - Zeiss prefer to get the centre of the field to a level beyond exquisite] already have this extremely well controlled, but people who are nutty enough to spend so much on bins [like me] tend also to be nutty enough to be bothered by even the tiniest visual defect [like me] ;)

I found the focus to be without flaw [like the rest of the darn thing]. Not too fast, not too slow - just right to look out a kilometre or so to a grebe on the lake, then back to a sparrow in a hedge without having to fiddle to get it right, or furiously turn the wheel either.

The only fault I could find [other than the price - I mean, come on!!!] was the positioning of the focus wheel back by the eyecups, instead of where your fingers naturally rest when holding the binocular at it's centre of gravity. But this is a problem that has become universal, and to be honest is more to do with my unnaturally stubby fingers.... :-C

wouldn't it just be cooler if it hovered about the binocamera so that you can turn it around and look at the vent coloration ;)

taking notes,
Dale

That 180* view feature will be available in the upgraded RD-D2 model, which combines images from from satellites and ground stations. :)

Having spent the last three months researching the ins and outs of various bins, including travelling hundreds of miles to personally try then for ourself, we finally decided on a pair of EL TRAVELERS (8x32) for the wife.

We were able to compare all the top models from Zeiss, Swarovski, Leica, Nikon, etc..at various places but never all models at the same time. We finally narrowed our choice down to the EL 8.5x42 and the FL*T 8x42. I thought the FLs were slightly brighter but more CA, so my preference, all other things being equal leaned towards the FLs (also £200 cheaper). The wife found both models on the heavy side, so settled on the EL 8x32. They were perfect for handling and the extra FOV gave them the same WOW experience as the 42s had. For birding whilst hiking the EL 8x32 have to be the best all rounder.

A visit to the North West Birdfair at Martin Mere, last weekend. gave us the opportunity to try the EL8.32 in the new TRAVELER design and it reaffirmed our decision.

Now to the point of this rambling....

We were able to field test the new EL 42 Swarovision. They were unbelievable. They are every bit as good as previously stated on here by others who have had the opportunity. CA was non existent anywhere, crisp and sharp across the whole FOV. I personally could not detect any ball rolling or find a single fault or limitation. The price??? well the rep thought they should be found for just under £1600 by the end of Jan 2009.

They were so good that I went and tested them against the FLs and EDGs to make sure I wasn't kidding myself.

Blood hell that visit looks like costing me just short of £3k!!!!

Last edited:
I´m shallow and inconsistent and constantly tempted by material acquisition...so I just ordered a pair of the new EL´s. I´m never going to achieve Nirvana this way, my Understanding is clouded by all this Optics-Maya nonsense. I feel a bit dizzy, I think I´d better go and lie down for a while.....;)

(Edit: any takers for my in-laws? I´ll accept even the most derisory of offers. Just a warning...they are Chinese, so don´t start a thread about the morals of buying Sancho´s in-laws or it´ll never end.....;))

Last edited:
I´m shallow and inconsistent and constantly tempted by material acquisition...so I just ordered a pair of the new EL´s. I´m never going to achieve Nirvana this way, my Understanding is clouded by all this Optics-Maya nonsense. I feel a bit dizzy, I think I´d better go and lie down for a while.....;)

(Edit: any takers for my in-laws? I´ll accept even the most derisory of offers. Just a warning...they are Chinese, so don´t start a thread about the morals of buying Sancho´s in-laws or it´ll never end.....;))

So you really CAN'T wait for my review!

We are the damned, my friend.

Sancho...you must be 'crackers'...but i respect that!;)
For that sorta dough i would demand a 'heat seeking rarity mode' and a special 'app' that would make my dinner...

ps...as this is a very long thread and i'm too lazy to look thru it....has swaro sorted their focus wheel out yet..?...[tooo much 'play' for my liking....tho not as bad perhaps as ultravids]...!

pps...i shall stick to me nikon 8x32HG's...[saving £1500 quid that will do a very nice foreign trip]....

ppps....i might win the lottery of course...[but is about as likely as a frigatebird flying over me house]...

The hype is on! I want a pair too! But why no 8x32? Anyone knows if/when it will come?

We were able to field test the new EL 42 Swarovision. They were unbelievable. They are every bit as good as previously stated on here by others who have had the opportunity. CA was non existent anywhere, crisp and sharp across the whole FOV. I personally could not detect any ball rolling or find a single fault or limitation. The price??? well the rep thought they should be found for just under £1600 by the end of Jan 2009.

They were so good that I went and tested them against the FLs and EDGs to make sure I wasn't kidding myself.

Blood hell that visit looks like costing me just short of £3k!!!!

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back