• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hawke Frontier ED 8x43 Glare Problem (1 Viewer)

B.Walsh

I recently bought a pair of Hawke Frontier ED 8x43 binoculars and despite being very happy with the optics and design, I am really annoyed by the amount of glare visible. I can see this glare at the edges almost all the time using them and in certain conditions it covers as much as half of the field of view with a yellow hazy glare. It is really infuriating.
I have read other threads where people have discussed this problem in relation to these bins, with many people unhappy about it while others were not being affected by it.
Is it worth my while seeking a replacement pair or is this a fundamental flaw with this model of binocular?
Any advice on this would be greatly appreciated.

I recently bought a pair of Hawke Frontier ED 8x43 binoculars and despite being very happy with the optics and design, I am really annoyed by the amount of glare visible. I can see this glare at the edges almost all the time using them and in certain conditions it covers as much as half of the field of view with a yellow hazy glare. It is really infuriating.
I have read other threads where people have discussed this problem in relation to these bins, with many people unhappy about it while others were not being affected by it.
Is it worth my while seeking a replacement pair or is this a fundamental flaw with this model of binocular?
Any advice on this would be greatly appreciated.

Too bad for you, I would never be happy with the glare problems you are having, and I agree. It seems this problem is common with some users, and
it seems to be a part of the design, and the other clones from the same Chinese source would be the ZenRay, and others, have also reported the same:-C.

See if you can return it. You will never satisified with it.

How is you eye placement? Is it centered in the exit pupil.

If your eye is low compared to the center of the ocular you will get more glare from these (as the glare tends to be at or just beyond the edge of the exit pupil). That seems to be one of the variables that causes some people to see glare and others not in this and other bins. I "fixed" the glare problems I had

Try you usual viewing position then move the binoculars down relative to the eye (so the eye moves up).

How close are you viewing to the sun? 20 degrees? Sunny or cloudy conditions?

This design does have some minor issues with glare (they're certainly not perfect) but not as bad as you describe. It also varies withe the particular model e.g. the 10x have very little, the 8x a bit more. The ZR 7x36 had a problem with the first version (for a significant fraction of users) but that was fixed in the second (and later revisions) so the 7x36 glare performance is now better than the 8x43.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back