• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Swarovski 8.5x42 EL Swarovision (1 Viewer)

Welcome to Birdforum! You'll find no shortage of opinions here on any alpha roof, particularly this new one, which has created quite a stir.

You've got sixteen pages of opinions to peruse on the thread below, which started the ball rolling (or "rolling ball," depending on your eyes :):

http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=158983

Also, check this forum for other threads on the SV EL.

There's little doubt that these binoculars have set a new standard in both optical quality and price. But whether you will like them better than other alpha roofs or the Nikon EDG (the first version of which can be had at a much lower cost than the new ones or the SV EL), or a second tier bin or even mid-priced roof, depends on several factors: how deep your pockets go, if you are susceptible to the type of "waving mustache effect" produced by the unique mix of pincushion and barrel distortion in the SV ELs, and how diehard an optics aficionado you are.

If your goal is to look at birds, there are much less expensive binoculars that will get you there. If your goal is optical nirvana, the SV ELs are worth a look.

Brock

Last edited:
Why am I not surprised, since the opinion is coming from someone who hasn't looked through the SV, never not once apparently.

Rolling ball...blah, blah, blah. Mustache, blah, blah, blah. Look through them and you'll see. If you don't like 'em, don't buy 'em. Case closed.

Mark

Been looking at these binoculars, are they any good? I've heard good things about them. Do they warrant the heavy price tag?

"Yes" to both questions. Whether you think they're worth the price-tag is between you and your credit card, but remember that you'll have them for a very long time, and the after-sales service, should you ever need it, is top-class.

We keep forgetting that the cost of after sales service is factored into the purchase price. Otherwise you would have to get your own insurance; probably from the manufacturer.

I remember years ago buying a very nice graphite fly rod from a famous Montana company and registering it with them as was the custom. The company was subsequently sold to new owners and I received an offer from them to guarantee the rod for life for a $50.00 charge.

Bob

Why am I not surprised, since the opinion is coming from someone who hasn't looked through the SV, never not once apparently.

Rolling ball...blah, blah, blah. Mustache, blah, blah, blah. Look through them and you'll see. If you don't like 'em, don't buy 'em. Case closed.

Mark

Have you read the posts on the thread I posted the link to above? There are former SV EL owners and others who have tried the SV EL who do see the "rolling ball" and for whom it was objectionable.

That doesn't mean that "foscobird" will see it, but it is something for him to at least know about so he buys from a dealer with a good return policy since it can take some people a week to adjust to the "rolling ball".

Just because YOU don't see it, that's no reason to hide that fact from a potential buyer looking for honest information or diss me for pointing it out. Why you insist on continuing to do this makes me suspicious about your motivations and your ability to give an a fair and balanced opinion, so I'm ignoring your posts from now on.

Brock

Last edited:
Click on the Swarovski threads and in five min. a person would know all about the possible rolling ball issue in the new Swarovision, click on the Nikon LX threads and the same thing. It is no secret for sure. It just keeps rolling,rolling ,rolling,rolling keep them balls a rolling rollhide.:)

I looked through the SV several times, saw the rolling ball every single time, bought the SLC HD instead. There are many binos that will show you everything the SV will for much less money.

That's why it's really a question of how much one is prepared to spend for incremental improvements, or how much "RB" trade-off one is prepared to accept for flatter field. It's all highly-dependent on personal taste, and unfortunately leads to disagreements between fine gentlemen;). Check them in a store if you can to decide if they're for you. Ultimately they're only binoculars, and yes, you can see as much with far cheaper models. Whether you can see as sharply or as comfortably is another matter. My bottom line is that if the Binocular Fairy appeared and told me that because of past misdemeanours, I had to surrender all my binoculars but one, with which I would have to make do for the rest of the time allotted to me, I'd beg to keep the Swarovision 8.5x42.

Click on the Swarovski threads and in five min. a person would know all about the possible rolling ball issue in the new Swarovision, click on the Nikon LX threads and the same thing. It is no secret for sure. It just keeps rolling,rolling ,rolling,rolling keep them balls a rolling rollhide.:)

:-O:-O

Bob

Been looking at these binoculars, are they any good? I've heard good things about them. Do they warrant the heavy price tag?

You know I have had ALOT of different binoculars! The Swarovski Swarovision 8.5x42's are made by ALIENS. They are without a DOUBT the best binoculars you can buy and are well worth the money if you desire the best view you can possibly find. The Nikon EDG's are good and there view is similar and they are the best Nikon's I have ever seen but the Swarovision's are still a couple of notches above them. Forget rolling ball baloney most people will never even notice it. I don't! The Swarovision's have made a quantum leap above even the best alphas even the Zeiss FL's. They are the most transparent binoculars I have ever owned. To put all those lenses and there are alot of them together with such precision and to put such perfect coatings on each lens it is amazing that when you look though them it doesn't seem like there is ANY glass at all in them. They have given me the most beautiful views of birds and wildlife that I have ever seen. Sometimes I wake up in my sleep thinking about the birds I saw that day with incredible realism that defies description. I was looking across a pond one morning with the Swarovision's when the sun was rising and reflecting off the pond and the view was just incredibly beautiful with several green head Mallards spotting the lake. I will tell you I did a double take! I had to put the binoculars down just to see if what I was seeing was for real! They are that good. I keep thinking of that scene in my head too. They almost improve on the perfection of nature. If you can afford them they are definitely worth the price. If you don't believe me look at how fast they are selling on E-bay and for retail price. Take my word for it they are the best of the best and it going to awhile before anybody beats them. Eurooptics will give you $200.00 off of retail on them and they are one of the best and classiest dealers I have ever dealt with. No baloney with only shipping stuff that you have to sign for like some other dealers so you end up having to pick them up at the post office. Get em! You won't be sorry.

Last edited:
the swarovision are very good binoculairs but like everthing else they are a marketing product, about the swarovision el 50mm they say ; wow you can handhold these without any problem , never seen before !!! ..........The leica 10x50 weighs only 5 grams more !!;) so what is the differents , when you can handhold a swarovision (995 grams) you can also handhold a leica (1000grams) .;)

the swarovision are very good binoculairs but like everthing else they are a marketing product, about the swarovision el 50mm they say ; wow you can handhold these without any problem , never seen before !!! ..........The leica 10x50 weighs only 5 grams more !!;) so what is the differents , when you can handhold a swarovision (995 grams) you can also handhold a leica (1000grams) .;)

It' all about balance. Have you tried the 50mm Swarovision's? I couldn't believe how light they feel because the balance point is perfect making them feel like a 42mm.

Just because YOU don't see it, that's no reason to hide that fact from a potential buyer looking for honest information or diss me for pointing it out. Why you insist on continuing to do this makes me suspicious about your motivations and your ability to give an a fair and balanced opinion, so I'm ignoring your posts from now on.

Brock

"Fair and balanced opinion"? You got one. I have said that what the SV does is "different." Whether you find the SV objectionable or not is up to you. That's all I've said. I do expect someone to look through the bins before making pronouncments. I, for instance, would never comment on the Nikon HGL, or whatever. Why? Because I've never looked through them. What do I know? Nothin'.

As for my motivations--I've got none. This whole birdforum thing is a fun diversion from my real motivations. I like discussing optics. Call me a nerd, totally harmless.

Mark

woops! Sorry for opening this can of worms.. I suppose a lot of it boils down to how they handle. I tried the swaro's and they seem great. So i should probably go on instinct. Also these look a great price!!
Don't worry, fosco - great binoculars stir up emotions, and can lead to handbag-fights. (It's a lot worse on bicycle forums, and apparently philately forums are the most savage).
Best of Luck with the binos. That's a great price, and they'll hold a re-sale value that will allow you to recoup it in any case. Let us know what you think when you've used them a bit.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back