• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

The new 8x30 CLl's (1 Viewer)

I bought a pair of 8x30 CLs today. I also own a pair of 8.5x44 Swarovision and a pair of Zeiss 8x32 FLs. I can say I am really pleased with them in terms of image and build quality and of course their weight. I intend to use them for travel and when i want to travel light.
The image is very high quality and comparable to my Zeiss FLs and I would say they are generally sharper than the zeiss although a little less on FOV but in real world use i dont notice it. I may now sell my Zeiss.
Having also tried the Zeiss Victorys the the 8x30cl's are far superior.
Handling and weight are really good and you dont realise that you have them on.
In my opinion Swaro have a winner here.
Peakbirder

I bought a pair of 8x30 CLs today. I also own a pair of 8.5x44 Swarovision and a pair of Zeiss 8x32 FLs. I can say I am really pleased with them in terms of image and build quality and of course their weight. I intend to use them for travel and when i want to travel light.
The image is very high quality and comparable to my Zeiss FLs and I would say they are generally sharper than the zeiss although a little less on FOV but in real world use i dont notice it. I may now sell my Zeiss.
Having also tried the Zeiss Victorys the the 8x30cl's are far superior.
Handling and weight are really good and you dont realise that you have them on.
In my opinion Swaro have a winner here.
Peakbirder

THAT'S what I was wondering about. I also have the 8.5 SV and the 8x32 FL and the CL's grabbed my attention from the start. Thanks, Peak Birder for actually trying them before trying to "review" them and write them off. Swaro wouldn't bother introducing them if they weren't any good.

The FOV thing is overrated I think. The total package is what counts. Please feel free to elaborate if you get a chance. I would be especially interested in CA and edge sharpness compared to the 8x32 FL's. A photo with both side-by-side would be great as well--but don't feel obligated. I'll probably have to check these out myself.

Mark

I'm not sure that anyone has suggested tha the 8X30CL is no good, not even myself.
Plainly the major manufacturers are not going to introduce a model which does not sell.
Personally, I cannot afford to have a cupboard full of different 'alpha models' for every situation and £800+ is more than I would want to spend on a backup model for the odd trip abroad or for when I'm not really birding fulltime. Personally, I prefer 7X42 for FOV light gathering and general ergonomic feel. As I said before they did not 'do it' for me when I tried them, but we are all different and I'm sure that they will sell despite the continuing economic woes. People with the money to spend and a desire for a small pocket binocular will lap them up. Even if I'd just won £161 million (as a couple have here in the UK for our American friends) I don't believe I would buy a pair of these. Just my opinion though and I'm certain other more technically-minded 'reviewers' can talk about FOV, CA, 'rolling ball', resolution, depth of field etc and possibly convince others to buy them. Try them and if you like them, can afford them and can justify the price go for it.

Not to worry, Tarsiger. My comments alluded to another BF member who delights in "reviewing" stuff he's never seen and making unsubstantiated claims.

The fact that you prefer a 12x50 SV to an 8x30 CL is just fine. Kind of an apples and oranges comparison, but that's fine.

I don't suppose I would like the CL's better than my 8.5 SV for all-round birding either, but I might like them better for travel, backpacking, etc. Maybe even better than my 8x32 FL. That's why I find Peak Birder's comments intriguing.

Mark

Hi, I will add some photos tomorrow to give a physical comparison and also as i get more experience over the next week i will post more comments. Just to add to my feedback are the comments from the dealer i have bought most of my bins from in the past including the CLs. They review a lot of bins and it is usual for them to be very neutral in recommending different brands of bins but on this occasion they were excited by these new bins and felt they had something from swaro that offered something new and good quality but at a price which was still expensive but competitive. The guy i was talking to today said he was considering changing his 8x32Els for a pair of the CLs. The dealer has only received one pair and i purchased them 15mins after opening and they were expecting a lot of calls today and while i was there another lady had come in to try them. My first impressions still stand that these are a great performing optics in a really small and light package using the latest construction materials, not very scientific i know but i do use binoculars alot in real world situations.
Regards
Peakbirder

Swarovski CL 8x30's

Hello all:
When I started this thread I asked if anyone had actually had a chance to compare the Swaro CL 8x30's with any other glasses.
So far there has only been one response with everyone else just using the forum as a chance to bash a new unseen, untried glass.
Lets focus people!
As to price, who has seen a posted, for real, for sale price here the US?
Just think, if someone new to our hobby had made this request on this forum they would be confused and might even back away from what should be a helpful, valuable resource.
I hope that is not what you wanted to do.
For my part, I am disappointed .

Art

Now this is getting interesting

Hi, I will add some photos tomorrow to give a physical comparison and also as i get more experience over the next week i will post more comments. Just to add to my feedback are the comments from the dealer i have bought most of my bins from in the past including the CLs. They review a lot of bins and it is usual for them to be very neutral in recommending different brands of bins but on this occasion they were excited by these new bins and felt they had something from swaro that offered something new and good quality but at a price which was still expensive but competitive. The guy i was talking to today said he was considering changing his 8x32Els for a pair of the CLs. The dealer has only received one pair and i purchased them 15mins after opening and they were expecting a lot of calls today and while i was there another lady had come in to try them. My first impressions still stand that these are a great performing optics in a really small and light package using the latest construction materials, not very scientific i know but i do use binoculars alot in real world situations.
Regards
Peakbirder

Really looking forward to more of what appears to be a very encouraging initial reaction. Thanks Peakbirder.

I've owned the 8x32FL in the past and now my brilliant 8x32 el and as far as I can make out from the comments these new CL could be preferable to either the FL or EL.

Thats really something!!! although I can't help recalling Dale mentioning he thought they were no match for the el (maybe just the marketing position?).

So some confusion here with the present info but very much looking forward to eventual concensus as these could indeed be a disirable format.

If all is well I might desire the 10x30 (money permitting, the euro might well crash before the £) to go with my el.

It would also be interesting if some-one had tried and could comment on the 10x30 CL also please.

More Extensive Review

Hi, As promissed I am writing a fuller review and have uploaded some photographs. It would seem that i have been lucky and actually got my hands on something early;)

I should start by saying that this is not an extensive technical review but based on real world use of the CL's and other high quality binocluars. My reason for buying the CL's was that I was looking for a light weight binocular suitable for travel as I often travel the world with business and also when I want to travel light in the UK. My main use is bird watching which i have been doing for the last 37 years. I am 48 and I wear contact lenes and glasses an equal amount and therfore my eye sight is not perfect or as flexible as a young persons;) My comments are based on use with galsses and contact lenes.

CA-I am not very sensitive to this normally and i do not see any noticable CA in the CLs are they are comparable to my other binoculars (Swarovisions are the best). I tested this by looking at objects against a grey sky (English summer!)

Sharpness - generally very good across the complete FOV. I still can confirm that for me they are sharper than my Zeiss 8x32FLs but not quite as sharp as my Swarovision 8.5x44.

Colour - very natural and typical of Swaro but not quite as natural as the Swarovisions. The Zeiss have a yellow cast in comparison.

Rolling ball - not surprisingly no rolling ball to be seen;) I had this a little with my Swarovision early days but my brain seem to adjust for it and remove it almost like people who have to adapt to vari-focal glasses - the brain is very clever at this.

FOV - A little less than my alpha binos but i didnt really notice it in real world birding situations.

Close Focus - approx 2.5M 7.5ft for me which is a little more than my zeiss FLs but unless i want to look at a very close insects I dont see as an issue.

Eye relief - no problem for me with glasses or contact lenses in. No blackouts for me which i did suffer with Leica 8x32 Ultravids in the past.

Physical attributes:
Weight - these feel really light and make good use of composite material. My Zess 8x32FL feel heavier and also more bulky. The composite material looks good and appears to be high quality, given where these materials are used these days I do not have concern over durability.

Ergonomics - fit well in my hands which are average size i would say. They are also easy to hold in one hand as i can wrap my fingers arounf the barrel which i cant do on my Zeiss.

Focusing - smooth in both directions but stiffer than my Zeiss and Swarovisions. Position and size of focusing wheel is good for me.

Dioptre setting - simple to use and does not move after set. Simple design, but not graduated. The eyepiece moves a up or down a little in comparison with the left eyepiece when adjustment is made. Setup is not as good as my alphas.

Eyecups - 2 position only (up and down!). Works for me fine but others may prefer a third posistion. This can be manually achieved by using o-rings if important. I do find that when i am wearing my contact lenses then they eycups are not quite as comfortable as my Zeiss or Swarovisions which have a larger diameter. This is a learning thing for me as alraedy they are feeling more natural when using them.

Rainguard - simple and non-articulated. Not an overtight fit and easy to use

Strap - standard swaro strap but not with the quick release adjustment.

Case - large for the size of bino but offers lots of protection, this is not very important for me as i would only use the case to transport the binos when not in use.

I hope this helps and generates objective discussion;)

Attachments

• P1020827.jpg
    P1020827.jpg
    31.2 KB · Views: 327
  • P1020832.jpg
    P1020832.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 314
  • P1020833.jpg
    P1020833.jpg
    31.1 KB · Views: 247
  • P1020842.jpg
    P1020842.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 295
  • P1020847.jpg
    P1020847.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 312
PeakB, Thanks for going through the trouble of posting pictures of this light wt. new CL Swaro! I hope to get to the Lost Creek Shoe Shop to try these and the Swarovision.

Thanks for the update Peakbirder! The fact that you feel the CL's are sharper than the FL's is indeed compelling.

Thanks also for the excellent photos. The CL is definitely more compact than the FL--and I have to say I think it looks better too. A very solid, compact look.

I suspect the 2 position eyecups won't be an issue for most: with just 15mm ER, eyeglass wearers will want them all in, and those without eyeglasses will want them all out.

Keep us posted as you continue to use them. It looks like I'll have to try them myself.

Mark

Hi, As promissed I am writing a fuller review and have uploaded some photographs. It would seem that i have been lucky and actually got my hands on something early;)

I should start by saying that this is not an extensive technical review but based on real world use of the CL's and other high quality binocluars. My reason for buying the CL's was that I was looking for a light weight binocular suitable for travel as I often travel the world with business and also when I want to travel light in the UK. My main use is bird watching which i have been doing for the last 37 years. I am 48 and I wear contact lenes and glasses an equal amount and therfore my eye sight is not perfect or as flexible as a young persons;) My comments are based on use with galsses and contact lenes.

CA-I am not very sensitive to this normally and i do not see any noticable CA in the CLs are they are comparable to my other binoculars (Swarovisions are the best). I tested this by looking at objects against a grey sky (English summer!)

Sharpness - generally very good across the complete FOV. I still can confirm that for me they are sharper than my Zeiss 8x32FLs but not quite as sharp as my Swarovision 8.5x44.

Colour - very natural and typical of Swaro but not quite as natural as the Swarovisions. The Zeiss have a yellow cast in comparison.

Rolling ball - not surprisingly no rolling ball to be seen;) I had this a little with my Swarovision early days but my brain seem to adjust for it and remove it almost like people who have to adapt to vari-focal glasses - the brain is very clever at this.

FOV - A little less than my alpha binos but i didnt really notice it in real world birding situations.

Close Focus - approx 2.5M 7.5ft for me which is a little more than my zeiss FLs but unless i want to look at a very close insects I dont see as an issue.

Eye relief - no problem for me with glasses or contact lenses in. No blackouts for me which i did suffer with Leica 8x32 Ultravids in the past.

Physical attributes:
Weight - these feel really light and make good use of composite material. My Zess 8x32FL feel heavier and also more bulky. The composite material looks good and appears to be high quality, given where these materials are used these days I do not have concern over durability.

Ergonomics - fit well in my hands which are average size i would say. They are also easy to hold in one hand as i can wrap my fingers arounf the barrel which i cant do on my Zeiss.

Focusing - smooth in both directions but stiffer than my Zeiss and Swarovisions. Position and size of focusing wheel is good for me.

Dioptre setting - simple to use and does not move after set. Simple design, but not graduated. The eyepiece moves a up or down a little in comparison with the left eyepiece when adjustment is made. Setup is not as good as my alphas.

Eyecups - 2 position only (up and down!). Works for me fine but others may prefer a third posistion. This can be manually achieved by using o-rings if important. I do find that when i am wearing my contact lenses then they eycups are not quite as comfortable as my Zeiss or Swarovisions which have a larger diameter. This is a learning thing for me as alraedy they are feeling more natural when using them.

Case - large for the size of bino but offers lots of protection, this is not very important for me as i would only use the case to transport the binos when not in use.

Peak Birder,

Thanks for posting that more in-depth review (even though some people already had their credit cards out ready to buy the CLs sight unseen based on Swaro's reputation).

Thanks for the pix too, seeing the CLs next to other bins helped illustrate your points about their size and ergonomics.

Your post supports my original assertion (which was not an "armchair review," as per one member's slanderous comment). That assertion was that Swaro's marketing strategy, as explained in their CL announcement video, doesn't seem to be working, at least so far from the posts on this forum, which was to market the CLs to people who do not already own an alpha, but who are looking for a more affordable way to enter "the Swaro family".

Instead, those who already own alphas (including SV EL owners) are interested in buying the CLs as a lightweight alternative to the full sized bins. Swaro is getting repeat business on the coattails of the SV EL.

It's too soon in the game to predict if this trend will continue, perhaps eventually we will see "first timers" buying the CLs, who might be waiting for those with deeper pockets to be the "guinea pigs" and post their reviews before breaking open their piggy banks and spending $929 on an "entry level" alpha.

Hopefully, Swaro will be able to tap into both market segments, particularly if the "street price" for the CLs in the US is below the 8x30 SLCneu, which is still selling at select stores and on eBay for $899.

My other point earlier was that for birders on a budget who are looking for a main birding bin, there are good quality bins to be had around this price (or even less) on the used market.

Now that you own a CL, let me ask you: If you could only afford one pair of binoculars, and had around $1,000 as your budget, would you buy a CL as your main birding bin or something else?

Thanks again for your review. Enjoy birding with it around the world and in the "Peak District" (had to look that up, link below for us Yanks).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peak_District

Brock

Last edited:
I would certainly consider them based on their performance as my only pair. Given latest technology etc 8x30 binoculars threaten the traditional view that 8x40 bins are the best for birding unless operating at light extremes.
The dealer i know quite well has been looking for a high quality bins in this middle price range to offer his customers and this certainly fills the gap with the alpha bins at £1350+. I think what is interesting is that this is not just good optics but in a very neat package that the main stream manufacturers don't offer today.
My wife who is not into bins or birding took interest in them and said she liked the looked of them and also the image.
I think this is an interesting non-Chinese product that could well generate interest for swaro in a new Market segment and in addition to existing swaro customers.
Key is to try them and see what you think.

Good write up Peak Birder

Thank you again.

I think you have mentioned simply and straightforwardly all the important stuff but what stands out for me is - if I have understood correctly?

The CL are lighter, less bulky, have more natural colour and are sharper than the FL?

I have no reason to doubt so that means that these really are quite a remarkable optic and would not seem to be a direct compeditor with the Conquest model but rather with the actual Victory?

That is a surprise. In that case if I had £820 loose change (I do but I may need it for other stuff soon and I guess about £200 of that is UK Vat which puts me off) it might for me be nice to blow it on a 10xCL if it was equally as impressive.

I can't believe though that there is really that much size advantage for travelling between the FL/EL and the CL? so I would not change my 8x el for example for a 8x CL but I may go for a 10x as an addition somewhere along the line.

Does seem that its going to be a very good entry level Swaro for people too.

You did not say but can I ask if you had an opportunity to try the 10x also?

The shop I bought them from did not stock the 10x version. The 10x30 or 32 size never seems that popular in the uk. For example the dealer I use has sold virtually no 10x32 els over many years. They are certainly sharp but I suppose I could have a good pair of cls and a poor fls but I don't think so. The size of the small bins are similar but I find the small barrels a nice feature.

Thanks for all

I may make the 100 mile round trip to try them for myself as you say. That is the only way to know. I did try the 10x32 el and I really liked the 6.8 fov but I also noticed that it was very important to have correct eye placement or things got nasty. I also was able to induce a lot of CA with them. I think I may be quite suceptible to it as even with my 8x el I see a lot of purple rooks etc at times which is not good. The fl never presented this problem but I prefer the Swaro more natural colour and contrast. Probably a new 32mm (or maybe 36mm?) Swarovision will have the CA sorted.

Anyway enjoy your new luxury item as it seems you are which is the desired outcome. Its good to know that it has potential. I sometimes miss more power than my 8x and I don't wish for a I larger bin especially after my recent experience with some 10.5x45 Chinese ED's.

I guess the supplier won't be happy with stocking so many CL colour options! The plain old black looks best perhaps?

Last edited:
Peak Birder,

Thanks for posting that more in-depth review (even though some people already had their credit cards out ready to buy the CLs sight unseen based on Swaro's reputation).

Thanks for the pix too, seeing the CLs next to other bins helped illustrate your points about their size and ergonomics.

Your post supports my original assertion (which was not an "armchair review," as per one member's slanderous comment). That assertion was that Swaro's marketing strategy, as explained in their CL announcement video, doesn't seem to be working, at least so far from the posts on this forum, which was to market the CLs to people who do not already own an alpha, but who are looking for a more affordable way to enter "the Swaro family".

Instead, those who already own alphas (including SV EL owners) are interested in buying the CLs as a lightweight alternative to the full sized bins. Swaro is getting repeat business on the coattails of the SV EL.

It's too soon in the game to predict if this trend will continue, perhaps eventually we will see "first timers" buying the CLs, who might be waiting for those with deeper pockets to be the "guinea pigs" and post their reviews before breaking open their piggy banks and spending $929 on an "entry level" alpha.

Hopefully, Swaro will be able to tap into both market segments, particularly if the "street price" for the CLs in the US is below the 8x30 SLCneu, which is still selling at select stores and on eBay for $899.

My other point earlier was that for birders on a budget who are looking for a main birding bin, there are good quality bins to be had around this price (or even less) on the used market.

Now that you own a CL, let me ask you: If you could only afford one pair of binoculars, and had around $1,000 as your budget, would you buy a CL as your main birding bin or something else?

Thanks again for your review. Enjoy birding with it around the world and in the "Peak District" (had to look that up, link below for us Yanks).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peak_District

Brock

Brock

Fell free to call me by name and stop using these childish digs such as "(which was not an "armchair review," as per one member's slanderous comment). If it is not a falsehood, then how can it be slanderous?

And weren't you the one whining in post# 17 about personal attacks?

Or your inaccurate post in #22

Originally Posted by brocknroller - Well, it would sure be a nice change of pace from hearing about the amazing (or is it spectacular?) Alpen 10x25 Wings ED again.

To which I responded:

Brock - Since you consider yourself to be a cub reporter and master reseacher, I would be curious for you to tell us all how many times I used the words "amazing" or "spectacular". I will be waiting for your count.

And as I said in a later post - I see you know how to spell, but am still waiting for your response to see if you can count.

And now in addition to being the resident Nikon marketing strategist, I see you have annointed yourself the Swaro CL strategist as well, based on the comments of one member buying a pair and another looking thru them. I guess a sample of two makes all your idle speculation true, and you seem to have a real handle how many are selling worldwide and to whom.

And I see you have picked up on Ed's previous advice to others to buy top quality binos used, and are incorporating it in your posts.

I for one, can't wait to try the 8x30 CL's against my 8x30 SLC's.

Keep up these great posts.;)

Tom

If we weren't all a little crazy - we would probably go insane.

Physical attributes:

Sharper than the 8x32 FL's no CA and more compact and less expensive and with a better warranty and customer service. They look like a winner. It will probably be awhile before they come down in price. Nice pictures and comparison. They would definitely be nice travel and second binoculars. The thing about them I really like is their size and the fact that they are smaller and lighter than the Zeiss 8x32 FL's because the FL is pretty small itself.

I would certainly consider them based on their performance as my only pair. Given latest technology etc 8x30 binoculars threaten the traditional view that 8x40 bins are the best for birding unless operating at light extremes.
.....[snip]
I think this is an interesting non-Chinese product that could well generate interest for swaro in a new Market segment and in addition to existing swaro customers.
Key is to try them and see what you think.

Peak Birder,

Thanks for that reply, you answered the chief questions that "first timers" looking to join the "Swaro family of optics" will be asking. Is the CL worth the price of entry and good quality enough to use as my main birding bin?

I would make the same comparison with my 8x30 EII, which even though it's not the latest technology, is exceptionally bright for its size and "threaten(s) the traditional view that 8x40 bins are the best for birding unless operating at light extremes."

In respect to light transmission, porros were ahead of roofs from the start. It was like the tortoise and the hare, with the "tortoise" making step by step improvements to catch up with porros.

As you recommended, and as I always recommend myself, "Try before you buy" (either that or have a credit card with an ample credit line and buy from a store with a liberal return policy).

I would take my EII with me to the store as a reference standard. If the CL equals the EII in resolution, contrast, and color saturation, it could be a contender (unlike Terry Malloy :).

Toni's earlier comment about the CL being "on par with the Zeiss Conquests but definetily [sic] not so good as the alphas in terms of contrast and color" calls that into question. I wouldn't pay more than double the price of the EII even for the "latest technology" unless was at least on par optically with my "old technology" EII and hopefully a bit better.

I've compared the 8x30 SLCNeu with the 8x30 EII and found the EII was more than a "hare" sharper, and with a "hare" better contrast and color saturation. That's strictly "eyeball" to "eyeball," not scientific testing.

The CLs also give up considerable FOV to the EII (7* vs. 8.8*). But a user would give up even more FOV in buying compact roofs and also get more finicky, smaller exit pupils.

The CLs might just be the "compact sized" roofs for people who don't like (or who can't use) compact roofs. That could a third marketing niche for these new binoculars.

Brock

Last edited:
Yes what will they be called?

Mini-mids has a ring.

I won't charge for that. Fame will be enough.

Actually I have gone out with my el without a strap (I don't really like binocular straps) and shoved them into my pocket but they are just a little bit large and these CL would be a lot better in that respect. Real compacts are just to restrictive really so something like this CL is a good idea although the 30mm Conquest has always been available but never that popular I don't think? but what seems to be new about these Swarovski is that they are very high quality optically (have not self verified that of course).

I do like the picture of Peak Birder with the bins around his neck. They really are tiny and I think this is a good thing. I don't like large bins that stand out. When I was watching the Open Golf on TV (Go Darren, go Northern Ireland!) I couldn't help noticing people in the crowd with what looked like 42mm's at least and I really though I would not carry those around at an event like that if I had something smaller like a CL.

Maybe I will wait until the richer have bought their share before I dive in but from the impression so far it seems that these might be a binocular which holds its price while the other brands play catch up? They are definitely on my must check out list now.

Last edited:
Swarovski CL 8x30's

Hi Peakbirder:
Thanks for the great review.
I really appreciate it.
Now I have to decide if I want to spend $929.00.
The the dealer that I went to who stocked all the alpha glasses here in Anchorage, AK has stopped carrying them because people could save $25.00 by ordering online.
Swarovski was the last alpha brand they dropped, can not look at or compare them currently...Sportsman Warehouse might get some in but they will not let you go outside to do a thorough test like the other folks would.
Many people here simply will not pay more than $100.00 for a pair of glasses.
The dealer tried carrying the Bausch & Lomb/Bushnell Discover and could not sell them since people did not want to pay very much.
I did get a pair of demo 7x42 Bausch & Lombs for a great price though.
Back on topic.
Thanks again to everyone who contributed.
I apologize for getting so testy earlier.
Art

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back