• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Madagascar October 2012 (1 Viewer)

Pitta Patter

Hello everyone. I'm new to the forum. I am interested in going to Madagascar next Autumn. I can't really afford to book with a tour company and would like to do it on a reduced budget. I would be interested in joining others if there was space or forming a small team. I haven't done much research so far but I would like to cover all the standard spots and see as much of the island as possible.

I would love to hear from anyone that maybe interested or has any suggestions.

Kevin

We're planning a trip around that time next year Kev - there may be a spare slot but won't know for sure until other BFers return from their trip this year with logistics etc. Will be looking at 3.5 weeks to do the lot

I'm thinking of going 15 December 2012-15 Januari 2013. So if anybody is interested for that period, drop me a line.

I'm thinking of going 15 December 2012-15 Januari 2013. So if anybody is interested for that period, drop me a line.

Hi Temmie - for your info, mid-Dec to mid-Jan is not the best time to visit Madagascar as its during the heavy rainseason and you will lose a lot of down time as a result. Also its post breeding for birds, so they are less active. On the positive side, its a superb time for amphibians and reptiles and Madagascar is arguably the best place in the world for seeing many species - I once had over 100 species in 2 weeks in December. Enjoy Madagascar, its an incredible place!

Best wishes
Adam

If you're planning on going to the Pochard site (Bemaneveka) you should try to do this well before the end of October. We were there right at the end of the month and got nervous every time a dark cloud passed overhead! 23 miles on the back of a motorbike in the dry was bad enough--the "road" is atrocious--and I can't imagine what it would be like wet. Like three feet of viscous mud I should think.

Mika Andria <[email protected]> made all the arrangements...

Cheers,

Jon

@ Adam: Thanks for the advice, unfortunately I can't take holidays before 15th of December. Maybe I just have to wait a little more until I have the opportunity to go in oct-nov...
@ Jon: If I go, I'll definitely go to the Pochard site (I know it's a duck, but anyway! :) )

I agree with Jon that its well worth visiting the pochard site, despite the arduous trip to reach the area. Besides the pochard (an amazing bird to see considering it has been considered extinct) I also had Red Owl, Long-toed Flufftail and a bunch of other great birds and mammals at the site.

Tough decision about whether to wait until you can travel in the peak Oct-Nov period or chance it in Dec-Jan.........

Best wishes

Adam

@Adam,

Slender-billed or Madagascar Flufftail? As far as I know, Long-toed Flufftail doesn't occur in Mad. Also at Bemaneveka, Mad. Serpent Eagle on nest...!

Cheers,

Jon

Just returned from a fairly extensive trip around Madagascar, and I would agree with previous comments about timing. The road to the pochard site was dry on the way in, and was still atrocious. A little rain on the night before we returned to Bealananana made some stretches considerably more difficult, and the next visitors had a long walk-in.

I would say that the Sakalava Rail site (Makary village on Lac Kinkony) is even more difficult after rain, as the road is prone to flooding.

If you are planning to visit in the October / November period, it's probably a good idea to do these remoter northern sites first, and then do regular east coast sites where access is not affected by rain.

I would also suggest that 3.5 weeks is not sufficient to do the lot - it's a big island, with long distances on often slow roads between some sites, and it's important to be realistic about what is possible.

Finally, I would emphasise the importance of lining-up reliable bird guides for the popular sites (Perinet / Mantadia, Ranomafana and Ampijoroa). We winged-it and were very lucky, other weren't and missed key species.

Adding to Jon's and Duncan's info, the procedure to visit Bemanevika is:

"Hi Shaun and Duncan. We, the Peregrine Fund, are in the process of setting up the new protected area of Bemanevika and are in charge of managing this site of which I am one of those responsible.

There are no fixed entrance fees for this site, as in other National Parks or Special Reserves in the country. So, all visitors who would like to visit Bemanevika would need to make a donation, as you did, in order to help local communities, which we work with, manage the natural resources of this site. Before they come, visitors have to first contact the Peregrine Fund office ([email protected]) and me ([email protected]) so that we can plan the best time for them to visit and to make the relevant arrangements.

For visitors/groups without transport, we could arrange to rent a 4x4 car. I know some drivers familiar with the track that leads to the site. I could also personally assist them to visit other interesting sites in Madagascar for example: Bemaraha National Park is a good site and easy to access to see the new species of rail Mentocrex beakaensis, etc. But they would need to inform me in advance in order that I could arrange my work plan.

As you know visitors have to bring their own tents, sleeping bag, food, water, etc....themselves as you did when you were here. We ensure the assistance at the site (cooking meals and guiding etc.)

That is the general information, but don't hesitate to ask me whether other clarification is needed".

Best regards, Sam, Madagascar Project Biologist
The Peregrine Fund | http://www.peregrinefund.org
+ 261-20-22-215-46 | [email protected] or [email protected]

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back