• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mind Blown by Hawke Pro-Stalk 8x56 ED (1 Viewer)

CliveP

Its all in the title.

Just thought I would share this discovery.

Good bins should be given their due and for the money (around £250) this one for me is simply outstanding, awesome (and I don't really like that word but in this case its used correctly).

I could go on and on and on about how impressed I am. (Sorry Typo)

They were only supposed to be a 2nd pair while my Leica HD are in for repair but they have turned out to be much more than that.

I would like to hear if others have tried these and think likewise.

Also I did not have an opportunity to try the 10x so reports on that would be of interest.

I bought these from a shop where the owner a licensed stalker had bought these for his own use but sold them to me. He said the Hawke rep recommended the 8x over the 10x I think because the 8x was clearer?

I would never have thought of buying these when looking at the spec alone. From first picking them up and then looking through them I was sold and over the last 2 days of trying them in all my local spots this first impression has only been confirmed again and again and again.

Externally, they seem identical to the Barr&Stroud, the Bresser and the Teleskop-Service.
And yes, I've been thinking about these but have pushed the thought aside. A 7x42 would be more handy in the field.

There is a review on albinos of a vortex which seems to be the same body but I would add 30 points to the review total of 108 to get what I consider these are. Thats 138, at least.

I was totally against big bins and thats why I only had a Leica 10x32 and El 8x32 before that.

What can I say. I have seen the light, in glorious HD.

But seriously, I really like/love these bins. They are not perfect in everyway but they are certainly a new experience for me and a thoroughly positive and enjoyable one.

They aren't even that big or heavy.

Yep, I've had the running commentary as the delights of the Prostalk have unfolded. ;) It's very persuasive.

David

Clive,

From another 8x56 user, welcome to the world of large exit pupil binoculars, so much easier on the eyes than the little squirts.

Henry

Clive,

From another 8x56 user, welcome to the world of large exit pupil binoculars, so much easier on the eyes than the little squirts.

Henry

Hi Henry

Doesn't look as if they are to popular with others jugding by the response with no-one even having tried a pair. The main interest does seem to lie with the more compact.

I will be interested to get my Leica 10x32 back to compare but I think they are totally different animals but some-how both great. I think these Hawke though could be getting a lot of use where I would have used the Leica previously. Its kind of worth carrying these 56mm just because they do work so beautifully and they are no-where near as large or heavy as the Minox 10x56 ED that I used to have and I think optically better also.

I think these 8x56 are a must for any serious binhead. If only we could make bins this good at this price. No chance. If these were euro made they would cost 4 times, thats £1000 smackerounies. These are by miles the best chinese bin I have bought/tried whatever.

I really should be a Hawke rep. I feel they are an up and coming company.

Best bino money I ever spent and best bino bargain out there.

If these bins employ the same glass as the Frontier ED's then I understand where you are coming from. At two recent star parties we have had a selection of upper end bins to compare (daylight/estuaries) and the Hawke's keep blowing people away. Many of those who provided an opinion have no idea about bino brands so referenced only what their eyes could see.

One of the crowd did point me to a website (First Light) who said the Prostalk ED were going for around £250, I thought that they couldn't be doing Prostalk in an ED for that but I was quite wrong. He'll have a pair with him when I meet up again in November so I will get a chance to compare once more.

Its kind of worth carrying these 56mm just because they do work so beautifully and they are no-where near as large or heavy as the Minox 10x56 ED that I used to have and I think optically better also.

Well, I'm surprised you think the optics are better than the Minox 10x58ED! If that is true, I'd like to have a pair. I hope they start importing them to the USA. You can get some Hawke binoculars here, but I don't see the 8x56 ED anywhere. The Minox are monsters, but I love the view. If the weight of the Pro Stalkers becomes a nuisance, try the Op/Tech Utility Sling Strap. It lets you carry even the Minox bandolier style comfortably.

Clive,

Henry

Be forewarned to find a good chiropracter. After trying the Zeiss 8x56 FL's upon a bird forum member's recommendation I am still making regular trips to the chiropracter. I think he said I had spinal nerve injury. No more huge binoculars for me. Your at a high risk of hurting your back!

Be forewarned to find a good chiropracter. After trying the Zeiss 8x56 FL's upon a bird forum member's recommendation I am still making regular trips to the chiropracter. I think he said I had spinal nerve injury. No more huge binoculars for me. Your at a high risk of hurting your back!

Dennis,
Check with your neighbor Bino Boy (See his post in the link above yours. Some people here say he is your identical twin! Joined at the hip if not the brain!;) ) for a sling for the binoculars which should take care of your ills and enable you purchase once again that semi-compact Zeiss 8 x 56!
Bob

Last edited:
Dennis,
Check with your neighbor Bino Boy (See his post in the link above yours. Some people here say he is your identical twin! Joined at the hip if not the brain!;) ) for a sling for the binoculars which should take care of your ills and enable you purchase once again that semi-compact Zeiss 8 x 56!
Bob

I hate slings! It feels like I am wearing a diaper.

Hi BB

I think you would not be surprised if you could try them.

I'm just giving my opinion on my preference. They are quite different. I remember the Minox (I'd forgotten they were 58mm) being a very powerful binocular and I remember thinking at the time that I should throw my Bushnell Legend 8x42 porro away now until I used them side by side and was surprised how good the 8x42 was. These 8x56 are certainly better than the Legend and they have more Swaro like optics which I consider to be better than Minox but its more a matter of personal preference.

For me these Hawke have that extra sparkle, that extra wow, that the Minox did not and being 8x I find them more managable also plus they are smaller and lighter and handle better.

These Hawke are a binocular that you just develop a complete trust in, that you can raise them to your eyes and you will always find what you are looking for and thats a nice feeling to have. The clarity is absolute top notch and I mean top, not nearly top, top!

...and remember that we're talking about a sub £300 binocular and still camparing it with mega expensive ones because this is a quality optic. The rainguard and strap etc aren't anything to write about but they do the job.

I thought the narrow fov would be a problem but when I first tried them I didn't even notice it and didn't realise until I got home later and read it on the focus wheel and have since come to just love it and again I didn't really expect that.

I don't know why they don't seem to be available stateside but I'm sure those Vortex or whatever are supposed to be the equivalent but I somehow feel that the albino review was not good so I am wondering if internally they are the same?

Well, I'm surprised you think the optics are better than the Minox 10x58ED! If that is true, I'd like to have a pair. I hope they start importing them to the USA. You can get some Hawke binoculars here, but I don't see the 8x56 ED anywhere. The Minox are monsters, but I love the view. If the weight of the Pro Stalkers becomes a nuisance, try the Op/Tech Utility Sling Strap. It lets you carry even the Minox bandolier style comfortably.

Last edited:
I have had owned Minox BD 10x58 ED BR for several years now. I have also used but not owned a Hawke Prostalk ED 8x56. Without question in my mind is that the Minox 10x58 ED has the superior and optical and build qualities.
In some ways it is an unfair comparison and the Minox 10x58 ED should be compared to the Hawke 10x56 Prostalk. Which I have also used but less frequently.
The Minox's offers increased on axis resolution, less field curvature [esp. compared to the Hawke 10x56 ] and better colour fidelity.
CA reduction is 'similar'.
The FOV for the Hawke 8x56's is 6.1 which gives a 'narrowish' 49 degree Afov. [Some web. sites have the FOV listed wider which is incorrect]. The 10x56's have a 6 degree FOV which gives a more reasonable 60 degree Afov.
The Minox 10x58 give a wider 6.2 degree FOV for a Afov of 62 degrees. The image is just more 'panoramic' and impressive.
The Minoxs are clearly my favorite hand held astronomical binocular and best other luminaries such as my Leica 12x50 BN and Elite 8x43's. My Nikon 10x70 HP WP IF do offer incrementally better optics but at at a reduced FOV of 5.1
Make no mistake the Japanese sourced Minox 10x58 ED's are really 'alpha' type binoculars and worth seeking out.
Yes they are 'soldily' built but never ultimately tiring to hand hold.
For the price the Chinese sourced Prostalks are a good cost effective binocular that gives a very useable bright image [as to be expected from a 7 mm exit pupil binoculars ] with minimal color fringing but they are still a noticeable step down from the Minoxs.
Yes you do pay for quality but in the pursuit of optical excellence the entry price is worth it.

[I did a full review on the Minox 10x58 ED's that was posted on 'Cloudy Nights' a year ago or so.]

Chris

Last edited:
Good lot of facts and figures. Not everyone will prefer the same things for sure. I still stand by my opinion of the Hawke, which I own and will certainly keep owning. For astronomy the minox might be better but that isn't my use.

My Leica HD are 10x and 6.7 deg field so I appreciate fov.

I sold my Jap Minox years ago. It was an absolute tank for field use.

I still rate these Hawke very highly and I don't think people should be disuaded by worring about how good the Minox is or isn't. I never got the impression that the Minox were really alpha level. Nearly though. These Hawke are nearer to alpha for me. I also don't recall being dazzled buy the Minox colour whereas I am with the Hawke. Is it possible that I have some kind of different example to yours? or had a poorer Minox?

The field is narrow but i use the eyecups mostly at the mid posiiton and I find the fov fine. I would not complain if it was wider and still as distortion free as it is but I'm happy with it now.

I have seen views through these Hawke of birds that are clearer than I have ever seen through any binocular before. To me this is a fact.

I have been out with the Hawke again today in another location and it was just another great day out with them.

Ultimately I am very satisfied and its entirely the decision of others as to what they wish to choose to use and they should definitely consider all info and opinions and try if possible before commiting.

Last edited:
Hi Clive

Please could you clarify what this binocular's FOV is and also the close focus distance. I can't find any reference to this latter characteristic in any of the published specs.

Cheers

This looks like a dead ringer for the Vortex Vulture. Too close in all respects to be coincedintal I think. I have looked at the Vulture in dealer's stores several times, but have no real hands on field experience. Having seen what I have seen of them, they look to be a decent enough binocular. Kind of short and stubby compared to some other 56mm binoculars I have looked at.

They looked good enough that if I were after a 56mm glass, I'd have them on my list. Whether or not they would make the cut for me, I don't know

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back