• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New 8x32 Swarovision (1 Viewer)

Placed My Order This Morning

Dealers are officially able to place orders now for the SV 32's in the U.S. They're still shooting for May 1st release. The MSRP's are $2421.11 for the 10x and $2332.22 for the 8x which means most shops (including mine) will offer them at $2179 for the 10x and $2099 for the 8x.
I've regretted selling my last 8x32's a few years back so am really looking forward to these new ones.
Have a great day.

Eating crow! I was high on my expected pricing on the Swaro 32s by over $120+, but what is interesting is the pricing competes directly with their SLC HD line. Still a better price on the new Swaro 32s than expected!

Dealers are officially able to place orders now for the SV 32's in the U.S. They're still shooting for May 1st release. The MSRP's are $2421.11 for the 10x and $2332.22 for the 8x which means most shops (including mine) will offer them at $2179 for the 10x and $2099 for the 8x.
I've regretted selling my last 8x32's a few years back so am really looking forward to these new ones.
Have a great day.

$2400.00 HOGWASH! Just do what I did. Buy a pair of Nikon 8x32 EDG I's on E-bay for $750.00. Send them into Nikon for repair and in two weeks you get a brand new pair of Nikon 8x32 EDG II's which will be better than the new Swarovski 8x32 Swarovision because the Nikon's don't have rolling ball yet they have sharp edges and the Nikon has a much better focus being smoother than butter and it isn't harder to turn in one direction like the Swarovision and it will probably be balanced better than the Swarovision and the Nikon 8x32 EDG will probably beat the new Swarovision 8x32 in Albino's ranking just like the 10x42 did AND you just saved yourself $1500.00. HaHa!

Dennis,
They are being released on May 1st.

We are waiting for your May 2nd in-depth and detailed review of them and your May 3rd resale of them on E-bay before we decide to buy one. Don't let us down.

Dennis,

We are waiting for your May 2nd in-depth and detailed review of them and your May 3rd resale of them on E-bay before we decide to buy one. Don't let us down.

I wouldn't get that excited. They are going to be a duplicate of the bigger Swarovision with a smaller aperture. Swarovski isn't going to change their optical program that they sweated on so much on the 42mm. All they have to do is enter 32mm on their computers and the computer will just use the same formulas and eyepieces and downsize everything for a 32mm. You will still have rolling ball and probably still have unequal focus tension and still have a high price and a weird case and strap.

I wouldn't get that excited. They are going to be a duplicate of the bigger Swarovision with a smaller aperture. Swarovski isn't going to change their optical program that they sweated on so much on the 42mm. All they have to do is enter 32mm on their computers and the computer will just use the same formulas and eyepieces and downsize everything for a 32mm. You will still have rolling ball and probably still have unequal focus tension and still have a high price and a weird case and strap.

That isn't how the 8x32 EL were designed. Their optics are quite different than the 8.5 and 10x42 models. Furthermore, Swarovski introduced some improvements such as the faster ratio focus when the 8x32 EL was introduced, so I see no reason why they might not do the same in this case. I don't care about unequal focus tension, but I'd love to see the focus be faster, and less rolling ball.

--AP

Always that rolling ball effect , its has a life of its own.
Well I don't see it if its there in the first place offcourse B :)

Last edited:
That isn't how the 8x32 EL were designed. Their optics are quite different than the 8.5 and 10x42 models. Furthermore, Swarovski introduced some improvements such as the faster ratio focus when the 8x32 EL was introduced, so I see no reason why they might not do the same in this case. I don't care about unequal focus tension, but I'd love to see the focus be faster, and less rolling ball.

--AP

That was because the older 8.5 and 10x42 models focus was too slow. Most people like the focus speed on the new Swarovision 8.5x42. You want it faster yet. Less rolling ball would be a good thing. It didn't bother me at first but got to me later the more I used them. Too unatural! The EDG's or Zeiss FL's give me a more natural view which I like.

Dennis,

Lots of time I don't even have to post what I'm thinking because someone else does it for me.;)

Steve

Always that rolling ball effect , its has a life of its own.
Well I don't see it if its there in the first place offcourse B :)

Pimplenees,

Yes, it does.

Keep rollin', rollin', rollin',
Though some are disapprovin',
Keep them birdies rollin,' Swarovision!
Don't try to understand 'em,
Just go birding and grab 'em,
Watch birds to the edge of your vision,
Boy my heart's calculatin'
My true love will be waitin', be waiting when they take the rolling ball out of the Swarovison.

Barrel 'em out, pincushion 'em in,
Pincushion 'em in, barrel 'em out,
Cut the price in half, and then I'll buy one, SWAROVISION!

You don't list where you are from, but from your post, you must originally be from Missouri, the "Show Me" State. :)

Yes, "rolling ball" does exist unlike the Easter Bunny, Santa Claus, leprechauns, and unicorns. (hope I didn't burst any bubbles here, folks) But fortunately, you seem to be immune to it, as are others.

You can find out everything you ever wanted to know about rolling ball (aka the "globe effect") and much, much more by reading Holger's technical report:

http://holgermerlitz.de/globe/distortion.html:

And more specifically, his report "Swarovision and the globe effect: FAQs":

http://holgermerlitz.de/globe/globe_faq.html

Brock

P.S. Before one of the sticklers chimes in here to point out that "rolling ball" is perceptual, yes, indeed it is, however, the low level of distortion (pincushion) in the binoculars' optics (or in the case of the SV EL, the compound distortion of pincushion in the center and lack of it at the edges) is the physical reason behind "rolling ball," and the amount of distortion in one's eyes is the reason why some people see it and others do not.

Last edited:
This thread is so scary - I just spent 1.7k for the original 8x32EL a little less than a year ago and now they have the Swarovision coming out~

In the mean time the 20mm eye-relief (heavy glass wearer) and the so called "completely sharp FOV" by denco really gets my attention, with the exception of rolling-ball that I have not experience yet.

Kinna hope I would control myself for the next 5~10 years with sorts of "upgrades" like this and just using it. But if so many people end up tickling my ear about how good the new ones are I don't know if I can hold myself... :eat:

This thread is so scary - I just spent 1.7k for the original 8x32EL a little less than a year ago and now they have the Swarovision coming out~

In the mean time the 20mm eye-relief (heavy glass wearer) and the so called "completely sharp FOV" by denco really gets my attention, with the exception of rolling-ball that I have not experience yet.

Kinna hope I would control myself for the next 5~10 years with sorts of "upgrades" like this and just using it. But if so many people end up tickling my ear about how good the new ones are I don't know if I can hold myself... :eat:

I wouldn't worry too much, the current 8x32 ELs are superb bins, I went back to them after trying the 42mm Swarovisions as I liked the smaller size and great handling of the 32mms. I look forward to trying the new 32mm Swarovisions but doubt if I'll upgrade anytime soon (but don't hold me to that;) )

Mmmm..... Just can't stop my curiosity so I contacted SONA yesterday and they said the optics is the same as 8.5x42 SV.

The good news is that my intial trial of a demo last week show that I am immuse to rollling-ball or whatever the name called, "in store". I will need to visit the store again soon and bring my 8x32 to see if its truely a problem or not.

In contrast to scientific test, I use my subjective feel of "ease and stressless" to verify the binos in addition to pure sharpness and CA - hope that will help me decided if I want SV technology or not.

Mmmm..... Just can't stop my curiosity so I contacted SONA yesterday and they said the optics is the same as 8.5x42 SV.

The good news is that my intial trial of a demo last week show that I am immuse to rollling-ball or whatever the name called, "in store". I will need to visit the store again soon and bring my 8x32 to see if its truely a problem or not.

In contrast to scientific test, I use my subjective feel of "ease and stressless" to verify the binos in addition to pure sharpness and CA - hope that will help me decided if I want SV technology or not.

mantice,

I'm glad that you are "immuse to rollling-ball". That was immusing. :)

Have you tried the full sized SV EL? That will tell you for sure whether or not SONA is giving you the straight story.

They probably are, but then again, Miss Lulubelle received wrong information from Meopta. And Mike didn't know that the Premiers had field flatteners.

So you can't take it on faith that because a person works for an optics company, they know everything about a particular bin.

When you go back to the shop again, ask to try an 8.5x42 EL side by side with the 8x32 SV EL. That will tell you for sure whether or not you find "rolling ball" immusing. :)

Having tried the 8x32 EL WB, I can imagine that reducing the CA and making the edges sharper (though they were pretty good to begin with) would make them even better.

But better enough to justify the steep price hike? That's in the eye of the card holder. :)

praying

if it did not have that weird strap and case,
it would not be an SW
edj

Don't find the case TOO bad, though the zip fasteners are a bit inconvenient.
The rainguard is terrible and I agree on the strap. Who needs instant adjustability and do they expect us to wear our bins like a sporran?
It can't be shortened sufficiently without either having loose ends or compromising security.
My dealer gave me an old-type strap.

John

Who needs instant adjustability and do they expect us to wear our bins like a sporran?
It can't be shortened sufficiently without either having loose ends or compromising security.
My dealer gave me an old-type strap.

John

Some people prefer to carry binoculars in "bandoleer-style", over the shoulder from time to time. I like such an instant access and would appreciate even more, additional instant removability of the strap.

Steve

Last edited:
Some people prefer to carry binoculars in "bandoleer-style", over the shoulder from time to time.

Steve

Agreed, good way to carry heavier bins. 8x32 work real well with one of those flexible harnesses.

Hoping the new 8x32's are better on CA. Only issue I had with old 8x32 was hawk watching with them.

Mike

I got an Bright Idea (no, not the BF member).

What if they made a pair of glasses with ED glass? What could it cost? Swift charges $150 extra to upgrade from the 820 Audubon to 820 Audubon ED.

So let's tack on $150 to your glasses. So what, glasses cost on average about $150? ($17.95 from China).

To make them better for use with binoculars, let's add anti-reflective coatings, which you can get for $50-$75 extra,depending on where you buy. Let's be a smart shopper and get the coatings for $50 extra.

That brings us to a total of $350 for a pair of eyeglasses with ED glass and AR coatings and off the shelf frames.

So for a $200 upgrade to your glasses, you can save a $1000-$1500 upgrade to your binoculars!

No, that can't be. That's sounds too reasonable.

I'm guessing the reason it won't work is because the ED glass hasn't been matched to the glass in your bin's compound objective.

Henry? Reality check, please.

(If it does work, send me a PM, so we can write a business plan and set up an IPO)

Brock

I got an Bright Idea (no, not the BF member).

What if they made a pair of glasses with ED glass? What could it cost? Swift charges $150 extra to upgrade from the 820 Audubon to 820 Audubon ED.

So let's tack on $150 to your glasses. So what, glasses cost on average about $150? ($17.95 from China).

To make them better for use with binoculars, let's add anti-reflective coatings, which you can get for $50-$75 extra,depending on where you buy. Let's be a smart shopper and get the coatings for $50 extra.

That brings us to a total of $350 for a pair of eyeglasses with ED glass and AR coatings and off the shelf frames.

So for a $200 upgrade to your glasses, you can save a $1000-$1500 upgrade to your binoculars!

No, that can't be. That's sounds too reasonable.

I'm guessing the reason it won't work is because the ED glass hasn't been matched to the glass in your bin's compound objective.

Henry? Reality check, please.

(If it does work, send me a PM, so we can write a business plan and set up an IPO)

Brock

No hydrophobic coatings?|8.|

Bob

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back