• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Kowa HD 8x32 and 8x25 feedback (1 Viewer)

can you be more specific about the model you are referring to? there is no "Kowa HD", do you mean the "BD"?

assuming you mean the BD series, not sure if I'd call them a "nice value". At $500 for an 8x32 there is a pretty crowded field of contenders, and the BD doesn't really score well in tests I've seen. I'm sure they are good optically (Kowa is a solid company) but the "value" category is pretty tough these days.

Last edited:
I would love to get reactions to these. Seems like a nice value in mid priced roof.

I've looked through the 8x32 BD and brought in my $195 Sightron Bluesky's to compare. There was really no difference worth the extra $300 IMO. They were very nice bins however if money is not an object.

Owned the BD8x32 and its OK if you can buy it REALLY cheap. Very fast focus, small and compact. Same for 8x25 though I have yet to look thru a good sample. But when you can get the Bushnell Legend Ultra HD 8x36 for under $200 and the 8x28 Excursion for $70, both with lifetime warranty, the Kowa's make no sense at their MSRP.

IMHO the 8x25 BD's are a very nice, handy binocular..larger than the Leica 8x20 Ultravids but brighter view in lower light. I was able to purchase several pair at a deep discount from the local Kowa dealer and they seemed to disappear. Not cheap but less expensive than the Leica's, larger but still very handy and a bright, sharp view.
Somehow mine have disappeared..but I am sometimes allowed to borrow them back.
What I am saying is they are a sharp, clear, lightweight travel glass at a reasonable price.
If I can budget for another pair I plan to keep it for myself.
Art

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back