• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Barnard in Barnard’s Parrot. (1 Viewer)

Björn Bergenholtz

(former alias "Calalp")
Sweden
Regarding the English zoologist and horticulturalist Edward Barnard (1786–1861) commemorated in (Platycercus) Barnardius (zonarius?) barnardi. Can anyone, please help me to translate some latin to English (as accurate as possible)?

From, the type description: Vigors, N. A. & T. Horsfield. 1827. A Description of the Australian Birds in the Collection of the Linnean Society: with an Attempt at arranging them according to their natural Affinities. The Transactions of the Linnean Society of London 15 (1): Page 283 (as "Platycercus Barnardi").

The sentence I´m interested in, and would like to quote, is (as attached):
In honorem EDOUARDI BARNARD, Armigeri, Societatis Linneanæ, Ornithologiæ studioissimi, hæc species, quam Societas liberalitati ejus debet, nomen accipiat.”

Attachments

• ToLSoL. 1927, p.283.jpg
    ToLSoL. 1927, p.283.jpg
    116.9 KB · Views: 62
In honour of Edward Barnard Esq, the Linnaean Society, for his great ornithological studies, the society will bestow his name to this species.

Or something like that anyway ;)

Thanks Will!

That was quick. But the comment...

...makes me a bit nervous! Anyone else feel like having a go?

I'm pretty sure It's right, but it certainly wouldn't hurt if someone else has a crack at it, I realise that my translation doesn't flow very well!

I'm pretty sure It's right, but it certainly wouldn't hurt if someone else has a crack at it, I realise that my translation doesn't flow very well!

I think you caught the meaning very well; I would rephrase it slightly, thus:
"In honour of Edward Barnard Esq and for his exceptional ornithological studies, the Linnaean Society will bestow his name on this species".
MJB

Yes, that flows much better. I'm glad that I still have some Latin left, even if I did have to cheat and look up Armigeri ;)

Last edited:
I think the gist of this is: "In honour of Edward Barnard, Fellow of the Linnean Society and learned ornithologist, this species, presented by him to the Society, will bear his name."

Just some slight adjustment required to get this 'xactly right:

This species, which the society owes to his generosity, should receive its name in honor of Edward Barnard, Fellow of the Linnean Society and a most zealous adherent of ornithology.

”In honorem EDOUARDI BARNARD, Armigeri, Societatis Linneanæ, Ornithologiæ studioissimi, hæc species, quam Societas liberalitati ejus debet, nomen accipiat.”

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back