• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

June Moths - 2014 (1 Viewer)

Paul Chapman

Only one addition for the yearlist from the garden trap this morning being a Snout.

So a leps yearlist of 261 - 10 butterflies, 171 macros and 80 micros - of which a patch leps yearlist of 204 - 10 butterflies, 137 macros and 57 micros.

All the best

2 NFY's this morning: spectacle and fern. Latter only my 3rd garden record since 2011.
Cheers,
Jono

Attachments

• fern.JPG
    fern.JPG
    190.4 KB · Views: 77
A bumper night (by my standards!) in urban Southampton. In and around the MV trap this morning were:

Willow Beauty x 4
Heart & Dart x 3
Cinnabar x 2
Maiden’s Blush
Treble Brown Spot
Knot Grass
Light Emerald
Shuttle-shaped Dart
Freyer’s Pug
Pale Mottled Willow
Bright-line Brown-eye
Small Dusty Wave
Riband Wave
Peppered Moth
Brimstone
Vine’s Rustic

Attachments

• Knot Grass.jpg
    Knot Grass.jpg
    157.2 KB · Views: 41
  • Maidens Blush.jpg
    Maidens Blush.jpg
    130.9 KB · Views: 45
  • Treble Brown Spot.jpg
    Treble Brown Spot.jpg
    182.2 KB · Views: 50
Sunday Nights catch: A little rain in the early hours and a little cooler of late.

1 x Pale Tussock (New Garden Record)
4 x Buff Ermine
2 x Common Marbled Carpet
2 x Tachystola acroxantha
5 x Heart and Dart
1 x Peppered Moth
2 x Scalloped Hazel
2 x Flame
1 x Light Brown Apple Moth
1 x Sallow Kitten
2 x Willow Beauty
1 x Bee Moth
1 x Diamond-back Moth
1 x Epinotia tetraquetrana (New Garden Record)
1 x Epinotia bilunana (New Garden Record)

also had 3 escapees before I could ID them and I guess the birds had taken any outlying moths as there were none on the lawn around the trap.

Will have to wait until Saturday now before being able to trap again

Attachments

• Light-Brown-Apple-Moth (2).jpg
    Light-Brown-Apple-Moth (2).jpg
    259.8 KB · Views: 40
  • 1-Pale-Tussock-May-14.jpg
    1-Pale-Tussock-May-14.jpg
    191.6 KB · Views: 44
  • Female Bee Moth.jpg
    Female Bee Moth.jpg
    125 KB · Views: 47
  • The-Flame.jpg
    The-Flame.jpg
    199.8 KB · Views: 39
Last edited:
A good night last night with several NFY's and 2 NFM's!
Micros;
Udea Olivalis
Barred fruit tree tortrix
Brown house moth
Bee moth
Codling moth
Eucosma cana (NFM)

Macros:
Green carpet
Flame carpet
Common wave (NFY)
2 x common pug
Willow beauty
Scorched wing
Privet hawkmoth
Buff tip (NFY)
Flame
Chocolate tip (NFM)
Flame shoulder
2 marbled minor
Buff ermine
2 rustic shoulder-knot
Mottled pug
Large nutmeg
Wormwood pug (NFY)

Attachments

• chocolate tip (1).JPG
    chocolate tip (1).JPG
    100.4 KB · Views: 51
  • common wave.JPG
    common wave.JPG
    128.2 KB · Views: 47
44 moths of 16 species last night, I guess there would have been more if it wasn't for the rain.

New for me were Miller and Pale-shouldered Brocade, most numerous still Grey Pine Carpet (10); year firsts (and therefore also garden firsts) Bee Moth and Dark Arches, other interest from Clouded Border (2) and Pale Prominent.

A trip to East Sussex produced three lifers for me:

4 Micropterix aruncella
1517 Adaina microdactyla
1968 Yellow Belle Semiaspilates ochrearia

robhope

UK Lepidoptera 412 (Micropterix aruncella), UK Plants 412 (Nottingham Catchfly) & UK Birds 236 (Black-winged Stilt)

Attachments

• 4 Micropterix aruncella.jpg
    4 Micropterix aruncella.jpg
    114.3 KB · Views: 60
Only 10 moths last night (rather chilly and clear skies) but delighted with my first-ever Scorched Wing (potted for a photo when I get back home later), and new for garden Lesser Swallow Prominent and White Ermine, so worth the effort!

Been and collected my first 125w MV set up today, however the trusted 2 x 30w actinic is set up and ready to go. I have loads of time in the morning to enjoy potting, IDing and photographing in the morning which is a sure guarantee to get about 5 moths.

Dry....and still is just. Rain was forecasted for 6am. Looks like it was windy though as leaves, twigs and plant pots have been scattered.

Flame Shoulder
Clouded Silver
Shuttle-shaped Dart x 2
Tachystola acroxantha x 3
Heart & Dart x 9
Bee Moth x 3
Scalloped Hazel
Flame x 2
Garden Carpet (NFY)
Ingrailed Clay (New Garden species)
Turnip Moth (New Garden species)

plus a dozn more that are potted up for ID later

Dave

Last edited:
Busy busy busy last night. Micros to check but the first time this season I was finishing packing up the last of my MVs with 100 species written down as the birds started singing (before the onset of rain at 5am).

5 MVs solo in woodland and calcareous grassland and an Obscure Wainscot at home was making me feel quite self-satisfied.

Then a text from a friend to meet up for our usual coffee this morning said I ought to buy him a cake as he had caught me a patch tick! He has adopted an unpromising 1km square for some attention this year - the edge of some farmland and a disused railway line next to the M5 - and he had had 35 species to one MV run until midnight.

I ran through the obvious patch omissions in my mind and failed in a brief guessing game over the first mug of coffee to then be faced with a pristine Scarce Merveille du Jour he pulled out of his coolbag!

My efforts definitely trumped. First VC record. Something I've seen in Devon and Kent before but a long way from any known populations!

Now time to get the camera out and get stuck into last night's micros.

All the best

Nice one Paul!

Last night was my first catch worthy of the electricity... 44 moths of 23 species.

Peppered Moth is always nice and strangely, Shears and Shoulder-striped Wainscot were NFG (this one anyway).

Gracillaria syringella, Mompha subbistrigella and Scoparia pyralella were NFG micros.

Andy M.

A reasonable catch last night, considering my location.

Two new for the garden:
892 Mompha subbistrigella (actually the first I have caught, or noticed, anywhere)
2205 Shoulder-striped Wainscot

Another ten species were new for this year, and these included Clouded Brindle and Pseudagyrotoza conwaga that I catch less than annually.

Steve

And two more new garden ticks last night......

409a Argyresthia trifasciata
1956 Common Wave

Otherwise a quiet night, with just Lyonetia clerkella and Fanfoot NFY.

Steve

Again, a relatively small but interesting selection last night, with Beautiful Hook-tip, Diamond-backed Moth, Silver Y, Dot Moth, Blood-vein and Riband Wave amongst 19 moths of 13 species. Scorched Wing from a couple of nights ago.

Attachments

• IMG_8409crop.jpg
    IMG_8409crop.jpg
    301.5 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_8405crop.jpg
    IMG_8405crop.jpg
    138.6 KB · Views: 40
Again, a relatively small but interesting selection last night, with Beautiful Hook-tip, Diamond-backed Moth, Silver Y, Dot Moth, Blood-vein and Riband Wave amongst 19 moths of 13 species. Scorched Wing from a couple of nights ago.

two brilliant moths pictured :t:

A walk though the woods and along some chalk downland produced a lifer for me and also a good shot of one of my favourites:

1386 Opsibotys fuscalis (nfm)
2462 Mother Shipton Callistege mi

robhope

UK Lepidoptera 416 (Opsibotys fuscalis), UK Plants 412 (Nottingham Catchfly) & UK Birds 236 (Black-winged Stilt)

Attachments

• 1386 Opsibotys fuscalis.jpg
    1386 Opsibotys fuscalis.jpg
    156.3 KB · Views: 42
  • Mother Shipton.jpg
    Mother Shipton.jpg
    188.9 KB · Views: 45
Just a couple of images from last nights catch:

Marbled Orchard Tortrix
Iron Prominent
Elephant Hawk-moth

The Iron Prominent is fast becoming a fav species.

Attachments

• Marbled-Orchard-Tortrix.jpg
    Marbled-Orchard-Tortrix.jpg
    172.5 KB · Views: 38
  • Iron-Prominant.jpg
    Iron-Prominant.jpg
    207.2 KB · Views: 44
  • Elle.jpg
    Elle.jpg
    263.4 KB · Views: 48
Some nice moths starting to appear after what has been a fairly mediocre start to June here in terms of species variety.

Most notable was a fantastic Great Oak Beauty which arrived last night- a first for the garden. The first Hoary Footman of the year was recorded on the fairly early date of 3rd, whilst a Heart & Club was also in the trap with the usual carpet of Heart & Darts last night. Blue-bordered Carpet is always a nice one to catch, this one netted at dusk on 7th...

Attachments

• Great Oak Beauty31resize.jpg
    Great Oak Beauty31resize.jpg
    459.3 KB · Views: 48
  • Hoary Footman1.jpg
    Hoary Footman1.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 48
  • Hearts1resize.jpg
    Hearts1resize.jpg
    356.8 KB · Views: 56
  • Blue-bordered Carpet2.jpg
    Blue-bordered Carpet2.jpg
    320.3 KB · Views: 38
Reports on Twitter of a Banded Pine Carpet caught at Greatstone (Kent) last night. On show from 4pm this evening. 2nd for UK I think.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back