• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

has the EL fallen behind? sell me an EL 8.5x42 (1 Viewer)

308CAL

considering the offerings available currently, is there anything the swaro EL 8.5x42 has over its competition? anything you like more so in the EL than the Ultravid or FL? anything you really dislike about the EL?

at 8.5x with a wide FOV, it might be the perfect bino I am looking for....

considering the offerings available currently, is there anything the swaro EL 8.5x42 has over its competition? anything you like more so in the EL than the Ultravid or FL? anything you really dislike about the EL?
at 8.5x with a wide FOV, it might be the perfect bino I am looking for....

Birdforum tends to favor discussion of what is new, and we also create our own discussion fads around particular odd models (especially good ones that are recently or about to be discontinued, e.g. Nikon 8x30 EII, Leica 7x42 Trinovid). The 8.5x42 EL hasn't generated much talk here lately, but that's not because it isn't still a top flight birding binocular. In fact, it's my very favorite, and I say this as someone who owns an assortment of other current top binos.

I find nothing to complain about the view--excellent detail, respectably wide and flat field, very little astigmatism (less than FL), and less off-axis chromatic aberration than the current (non HD) Ultravids. But the way the EL really distinguishes itself for me amongst the other top choices is its ergonomics--the open bridge design has long been a favorite (one of the reasons I like the Zeiss 7x42 Classic so much), and the eye-relief is more generous than most. My only complaint is that the focus was too slow originally, but that was corrected a few years ago.

--AP

thjankls AP

great info

i bet the swaro El in 2007 is a little better and changed vs. the 2001 model because swaro has a rep for tinkering with things without telling people plus the new easy to clean coatings...

anyone else want to chime in?

As someone said on a different thread, you probably don't see much discussion about the EL's because we're all outside enjoying using them.

Steve

"is there anything you really dislike about the EL?"

the price-nothing else

and I think that I look cool with the bright orange flaoting neck strap,
edj

has the EL fallen behind?

In my opinion the answer is yes.
The ELs are second to none in build quality and ergonomics
but optically the are definitely second to Zeiss Victories (which
suffer from bad ergonomic design and lack of appeal).

Because of the strong chromatic abberation the ELs are not
up to date anymore.
Zeiss has shown one can achieve something better. Leica
is just following in their footsteps.

My guess is that sooner rather than later Swarovski is bound
to follow the flock with an FL version of the ELs (and hopefully
the whole fleet).

An FL-EL may indeed be the ultimate pair of binoculars (if they
bother to correct the ugly concave distortion at the same time).

I am saving up my money until the day it arrives.

Tom

Has anyone compared the EL to the SLC 7x42 in lowlight? who won out? the exit pupil of the 7x42 or the higher magnification of the EL 8.5x42?

I don't see much difference between my Swaros and my wife's Leicas, but I have always been impressed with the after-sales service of Swaro (not that I have ever had to use Leica's service).

At 820g the Swavs are a bit heavier than the competition. Eyecups a bit shallow for some? Don't like cold feel of the exposed metal. Pretty good all round though. I think you get a proper case now, at least from some retailers.

Sean

Huh? What are you talking about?

My final decision came down to the ELs or the Zeiss fl (did not have access to Leicas)-I choise the EL due to better feel, ? larger FOV (stats indicate otherwise but the ELs seemed to be larger). I could not tell much/any difference with optics.

edj

if there is a better binocular out there, I want to see it

Last edited:
I wish they were lighter and had a couple of mill more eye relief but otherwise they are surely second to none.

Has anyone compared the EL to the SLC 7x42 in lowlight? who won out? the exit pupil of the 7x42 or the higher magnification of the EL 8.5x42?

That's a really easy one....the 8.5x42 can see more detail in low light. The extra 1.5X makes a very noticeable at dusk.

I own a 8x42FL, 10x42EL, previously owned 7x42FL, and have lots of time behind my Uncle's 8.5x42EL. You asked if there is anything that I really dislike about the EL and the answer is no. They fall behind in the area of CA, but it just isn't something that I pick out and notice during normal viewing. I don't believe they are outdated by any means. It's a very tough call between the 8x42FL and 8.5XEL. I honestly don't know which one I like best. If I could only own one of them, I'd probably pick the EL by a tiny margin. As a hunter, the slightly thinker armor of the Swaros appeals to me and so the the perceived outward construction. That said, I do use my 8x42FLs more often for casual viewing. Part of that might have to do with the trim design and silky focus, the other part might have to do with the fact that it .5x less magnification for backyard and patio viewing. When I'm hunting, I like the extra .5x magnification though. Once again, if I could only own one bin, I'd want it to be 8.5x.

My final decision came down to the ELs or the Zeiss fl (did not have access to Leicas)-I choise the EL due to better feel, ? larger FOV (stats indicate otherwise but the ELs seemed to be larger). I could not tell much/any difference with optics.

edj

if there is a better binocular out there, I want to see it
I don't question that someone might prefer the EL. I liked 'em when I tried them, and I might have bought one myself if the price hadn't gone through the stratosphere. But I can't make sense of the "bad ergonomic design" and "lack of appeal" remark concerning the Zeiss FL. They "appeal" to enough people that Leica has felt the need to update their own flagship product.

I don't question that someone might prefer the EL. I liked 'em when I tried them, and I might have bought one myself if the price hadn't gone through the stratosphere. But I can't make sense of the "bad ergonomic design" and "lack of appeal" remark concerning the Zeiss FL. They "appeal" to enough people that Leica has felt the need to update their own flagship product.

FWIW, i spoke to the guys @ eagle optics about FL glass and they didnt see the urgent "need" in 7x or 8x binos

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back