• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

700RC2 or 701HDV? (1 Viewer)

Swissboy

Sempach, Switzerland
Supporter
Switzerland
After having essentially decided to get the 701HDV, I got some second thoughts due to the weight of that tripod head. I'm trying to minimize weight without losing too much stability.
So can anyone comment on the 700RC2, and whether the heavier 701HDV is to be preferred for a telescope (no digiscoping intended)? Also, does the 700RC2 have a safety feature so as not to open up accidentally? Thanks.

Robert, I have been very happy with my 700RC2. I use it with my 30x80 scope on a tripod that is a little to the light side also, but I strongly prefer this solution to any heavier one.

Yes, there is a catch so that the plate does not slide out. I hope this link works: http://www.manfrotto.com/composite-video-head click the image of the head to view a high res version where the catch is the silvery part to the right of the plate.

Niels

I'd go for the 701 over the 700 everytime. It is more stable, smoother in movement and more robust (i've seen a fair few 700s fall apart), an all around better head.

I'd go for the 701 over the 700 everytime. It is more stable, smoother in movement and more robust (i've seen a fair few 700s fall apart), an all around better head.

One testimony in the opposite direction: I have used my 700 for about 5 years now without problems ...

Niels

Ain't tried the 700 (yet!) but impressed with my 701 HDV -try before you buy!
In my opinion, with spotting scopes, weight is good! I normally use a lighter tripod on my Canon 600mm F4 lens than I do for my spotting scope as the scope goes to far higher magnification than my lens so stability is everything.
Just my 2p!

Yup the 701HDV seems to be better than 700 head based on my experience too. Then I changed to 501HDV hahaha and now just bought the new 502HDV head :)

Thanks

Thank you all for posting your experiences. Unfortunately, it does not provide the clearcut result I - in a way - had hoped for. So I think I'll follow johnf3f's advice to "try before I buy". Though this is a bit tedious for me. But as the situation is right now, I'll stick with my present outfit for the upcoming trip. After having changed the tripod, I can live with this situation quite well. I'm still using a Novoflex DinO head with a Manfrotto quick-release plate on top. It has no fluid mechanics though. But it's light-weight and pretty stable. Particularly with the smallish Nikon EDIII which is my travel scope.

..... I'm still using a Novoflex DinO head with a Manfrotto quick-release plate on top. It has no fluid mechanics though. But it's light-weight and pretty stable. Particularly with the smallish Nikon EDIII which is my travel scope.

Having since returned home, a 701HDV head was waiting for me. I have since tried to use it a bit, but ran into some problems. My Leica APO 77 scope can't be mounted. The prism box is going so far down at the rear of the scope that the plate can't be slid onto the head. I'll have to try whether I can use it the wrong way around. But that will mean I'll have to forgo the benefit of the anti-rotation pin.
The head would be OK for the small Nikon EDIII, but for that scope the 701HDV head looks a bit like overkill. Compared to my Novoflex DinO set-up, the new head weighs just about 300 grams more. That is as long as I use it without the pan bar. That bar alone adds a bit more than 100 grams to the head. I have used the Novoflex head without its smallish bar, so no need for me to use the largish bar of the 701HDV. But if I have to add something to make the new head compatible with the old but still great Leica scope, the weight is going to increase, and stability is likely to suffer.

So back to the start, I think I'll give the 700RC2 a try now. I hope Niels is still reporting good experiences with that model?! Anyone who can attest that it will accomodate a Leica APO 77? Weightwise it should be no problem.

So back to the start, I think I'll give the 700RC2 a try now. I hope Niels is still reporting good experiences with that model?! Anyone who can attest that it will accomodate a Leica APO 77? Weightwise it should be no problem.

Robert,

sorry to hear about the problems with the 701, but I'm afraid the 700RC2 is definitely not sturdy enough to take a 77 Televid. I would give the heads of Berlebach or the Gitzo x720 heads a try. The 1720 is the only lightweight fluid head that could provide enough support for such a heavy scope. The Berlebach Mod. 520 on the other hand, while no fluid head, could perform even better in terms of sturdiness and that for a quite reasonable price.

Steve

Last edited:

I use mine with a scope weighing 1.75 kg and still do not have problems. I would think twice if it was to be used for digiscoping to a large extent, but otherwise, I want a setup that is not too heavy.

Give it a try, the main thing you might loose is the money for sending it back.

Niels

Think you must have a cherry or something Niels. The tightening screws on my 700RC2 went numb after less than a year of use on a full size scope (Kowa 883). Have been using a cheap non-fluid Velbon head (no longer made) for c. 3 years since then with no problems.

Jim

Robert,

sorry to hear about the problems with the 701, but I'm afraid the 700RC2 is definitely not sturdy enough to take a 77 Televid. I would give the heads of Berlebach or the Gitzo x720 heads a try. The 1720 is the only lightweight fluid head that could provide enough support for such a heavy scope. The Berlebach Mod. 520 on the other hand, while no fluid head, could perform even better in terms of sturdiness and that for a quite reasonable price.

Steve

Thanks for your suggestions Steve. I think with the Berlebach I would be in the same ballpark of what I already have with the Novoflex. Though that system is not fully optimal unless I tighten it. It also comes without a fluid mechanism. The Gitzo 1720, while very expensive, looks attractive on first sight. Though I'm a bit skeptical regarding this one-lock system. I find it sometimes rather convenient, to have a more freely moving horizontal axis than the vertical one. But maybe the two fluid cartidges adapt to that with the speed one moves in that direction? Any experiences with this head anyone? The weight would be attractive as well.

......Give it a try, the main thing you might loose is the money for sending it back.

Niels

It does not work quite like that here. There is usually no "free" return, not like say Eagle Optics in the US. Most often, these are special order items, that's why I'm a bit hesitating. At this point, I already have that 701HDV idling here. Sure there is always one of those auction sites. But with these items, the local market just is not there.

Thanks for your suggestions Steve. I think with the Berlebach I would be in the same ballpark of what I already have with the Novoflex. Though that system is not fully optimal unless I tighten it. It also comes without a fluid mechanism. The Gitzo 1720, while very expensive, looks attractive on first sight. Though I'm a bit skeptical regarding this one-lock system. I find it sometimes rather convenient, to have a more freely moving horizontal axis than the vertical one. But maybe the two fluid cartidges adapt to that with the speed one moves in that direction? Any experiences with this head anyone? The weight would be attractive as well.

Robert,

the performance of the Berlebach head, its look and feel, is very different from that of the D in O, which I know well. It's bigger and IMO more robust. The one-lock system of the Gitzo works very good. Best tightening systemI have experienced with any head so far. Personnally, with a 77 Televid, I would opt for the 2720. It allows, just like the 1720, to adjust each of the two moving axes separately to your needs.

Steve

Robert,

the performance of the Berlebach head, its look and feel, is very different from that of the D in O, which I know well. It's bigger and IMO more robust. The one-lock system of the Gitzo works very good. Best tightening systemI have experienced with any head so far. Personnally, with a 77 Televid, I would opt for the 2720. It allows, just like the 1720, to adjust each of the two moving axes separately to your needs.

Steve

Thanks Steve. Though the 2720 is definitely a size too big for me. I have it with Niels that I strive for the lightest possible setup that still fills my needs. I'm not a digiscoper, but I tend to carry my scope whenever possible.

Also, I want a head that I can use for both scopes. And with my nice new Velbon E640 carbon tripod, I really feel I need a similar lightweight yet sturdy enough head. I think the DinO is a bit worn out as well now. I recall that Novoflex actually advertised it for scopes of the Leica 77 type. If I should buy the 1720 head, it would be close to the tripod itself in cost though. I guess that's what we call lack of competition, or lack of generics at this point.

Last edited:
I finally ordered a 700RC2, hoping to get a fine one like Niels, of course. If nothing else, the head has been around for a while, and it has a safety catch. Both of these points (among others as well) can't be said for the Velbon FHD52Q that I was favoring for a while.

Got my 700RC2 today. And as I don't need the pan bar (100 grams), the whole thing is even a bit lighter (400 grams) than my previous Novoflex head and quick-release set-up (425 grams). But it's much more stable at this point. So I just hope it's going to be as durable as the one Niels has.

My 701HDV, by the way, is now used by my brother who is also a birdwatcher. It fits his Swarovski scope well, except that the Swarovski quick attachment can't be used. He is also using the head without the pan bar.

Just to say that I've ordered myself a 701HDV tripod head.
My manfrotto 460mg 3 way photographic head isn't so easy to use with a spotting scope!

Will post a follow up once I get the 701HDV tripod head and try it out.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back