• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Good value tripod & head for Swarovski ATS 65mm (1 Viewer)

gecko18000

Hi all,

I had a look through the forum before posting, but if I've missed any good threads please feel free to point them out.

I'm looking for a tripod and head for a Swarovski ATS 65mm, but my budget is quite (very) limited. Appreciate the line that there's no point in putting a good scope on a rubbish tripod, but does anyone have any suggestions for a good value tripod and head combo (ideally that can be purchased together) for this scope?

In an ideal world I'd want a carbon fibre tripod, but obviously my budget means that aluminium is more likely, although preferably with some foam over the legs to hold, as the aluminium is incredibly cold in winter! Ideally only three sections for stability, but also ideally no longer or heavier than my current tripod (62 cm, 2 kg) as I want to be able to carry it all day and also pack it when travelling.

My current setup is a Velbon 200R Sherpa Tripod with PH157Q head.

I'm happy to buy secondhand or new, scour ebay etc. Thanks for any suggestions!

Hi,

since you already have a tripod, what is the problem with that? If it's just the coldness in winter, what about some adhesive backed foam rubber and some duct tape around that?

Can you remove the head? If yes, sth better might help - the legs look ok....

I have some older Velbon carbon legs (current model would be GEO N535) which I got off german ebay for 90€ and a Manfrotto 500AH which has seen the world from the classifieds in here. Together less than 150€ and in my opinion pretty optimal - very stable with a full size scope, foam rubber round all three top segments, weights 2.5kg for tripod+head - together with scope and mulepack with a guide and some water/snacks/spare EP it's around 5kg which I can carry quite well on my shoulders...

On the down side you need luck and patience to get good carbon legs so cheap - Gitzo tends to be $$$ even used, Velbon or Benro are ok quality and can be had for reasonable prices in the classifieds or ebay with some luck.

Things I would look for: 3 leg sections for more stability than 4, lowest section not too thin, twist lugs (less things to go wrong imo) and choose the height so you can use the scope with the center column down or mostly so - center column fully extended is usually quite a bit less stable.

Joachim

I recently put a new set-up together for the 65mm ATS for the same purposes - lightweight and easy to travel with.
This consisted of the Benro TAD18C CF legs and Manfrotto RC700 head, which seems to fit the bill.
The Sherpa legs however are not that much heavier - but colder! The RC700 is a much smoother head, although doesn't have that one-handle control over pan and tilt.

Thanks both. The tripod is just getting old and tired, although it could probably last a bit longer if I cleaned it properly - adhesive backed foam is a good idea for the cold issue!

I had looked at the Manfrotto RC700 head, but was put off my the lack of one-handle pan & tilt control.

I will keep an eye out for a second hand a Manfrotto 500AH and try the new head on the current tripod for a while, see how I get on.

You might find a degree of overkill with the 500AH - it weighs 900gm, and you've still got separate pan and tilt controls. Fantastic head though - i use it with a Kowa 883.

After quite a bit of mucking about, I've ended up with 3-section Velbon Sherpa legs and a Manfrotto 128RC (or similar) for my Swaro 65mm. I don't find the legs cold but the real weakness is in the converter needed to join head to legs. It's a rather skimpy insert thread that has sheared in the field twice for me. I've inserted a plastic layer between the two parts to help them settle securely (any old plastic about 2mm thick and cut to size) and I now carry a repair kit when I'm going somewhere important (a few spare converters, which cost pence and a small pair of pliers).

Am certain I don't have the best solution but the legs were really cheap, are lightweight and do a reasonable job.

Andy

...the real weakness is in the converter needed to join head to legs. It's a rather skimpy insert thread that has sheared in the field twice for me. I've inserted a plastic layer between the two parts to help them settle securely (any old plastic about 2mm thick and cut to size)...

If I understand your problem, the solution to your troubles might be found in a higher quality thread converter. I messed around with cheapies for years, then went to this one from Really Right Stuff. I have several of these and have yet to have one fail. These are superior both because they engage more threads than most converters _and_ because the threads are robust full thickness threads (some cheapies have thin threads), so fill all the space in making the conversion, thus moving any wiggle/play/vibration even before being fully cinched tight. You might be able to find similar from another manufacturer (not sure about RRS cost and availability outside USA).

http://www.reallyrightstuff.com/Stainless-reducer-bushing-3-8-16-to-1-4-20

--AP

Fantastic advice Alexis, many thanks, will certainly try it. The ones I use (have tried 2 versions so far) fit snugly but just don't seem very strong. Maybe this one is stronger and the idea of using non-permanent threadlocking glue too sounds good (as per the web link).

While not experiencing it myself, one of the cheap thread adaptors failed on someone's new set-up (including ATX 65!) on a recent foreign trip, rendering the whole rig useless.
Don't buy the cheap ones! There are many on ebay that are about 5 for £3 or something - to be avoided.
If you can get one in brass so much the better.

When searching for a stronger alternative to order, I came across this, ordered it and it seems great - will post if it falls apart but I have the feeling it won't:

Manfrotto 088LBP Female 1/4"-20 to Male 3/8" Thread Adapter, with 1.18" Diameter Flange

Hi all,

Got hold of some Manfrotto 190XPRO legs for £100 (I think the list price is £210). By no means perfect but seem pretty robust for now - no chance of me buying any carbon fibre legs at the moment. These weigh 2kg.

I also got a Manfrotto 128RC head, but I'm not yet sure whether I'll keep it. It seems pretty heavy (it's 1kg but seems more somehow) and I find the separate releases for pan & tilt a bit frustrating. Maybe people hated the one-handle control of pan and tilt on the Sherpa PH157Q but I found it incredibly useful for getting a bird in view quickly.

Anyone got an opinion on the separate pan & tilt control, or whether this is just default for most tripod heads? Is there a reason that the single control isn't more widespread? I also considered the Manfrotto 500AH head, but this isn't much lighter and I think the pan/tilt control is the same?

Thanks

John

Hi,

the 500AH is actually a lot sturdier than the 128RC - strange enough it's the ame weight. I like mine a lot with a full size scope on it.

Joachim

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back