• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Buying the big three: Do you get warranty on online auctions? (1 Viewer)

etc

There are a lot of 'Alpha' binoculars on Ebay (US version), most of them are used but many are "NIB". They are usually sold at a huge discount of at least 25% versus retail store prices. Leica Ultravids between $1100 - $1400. Swarovski goes for more but still substantially less than store prices.

The problem with online shopping is, Leica and Swarovski do not provide their warranty unless the item is bought at an authorized dealer. Even if the item is New-In-Box. This explains why a new Leica 10x50 Ultravid that sells for $1900 in a retail store (in US anyway) often goes for $1350 or so on Ebay, new. The price difference is astounding at times.

In addition to resellers, it seems there are a lot of sellers who bought an alpha bin, played with it for a few weekends, decided they didn't like it, and put it on Ebay as "new". So sometimes the definition of "new" is stretched a bit. It too doesn't come with a warranty and is in the best case Like-New-In-box. Neither Leica nor Swarovski will transfer the warranty. I am not sure they will recognize it even if the warranty card was not filled out by the previous owner. It has to be sent in within 30 days, what happens if the item was bought months ago? I heard Zeiss can transfer the warranty but not sure of the terms. Some comments or actual experiences here would be most helpful.

Then there is the gray market stuff in its own category. As far as I understand, it has some warranty but an inferior warranty to the real thing. It may be restricted or have a shorter duration.

I think short term, buying a NIB but without warranty from a non-authorized seller alpha binos is a good deal, (also buying used is often a good deal) but if keeping it for years, decades maybe, paying a few hundred for a new unit at an authorized store that provides warranty may make more sense. A warranty-less item may need some work eventually and even one major repair will wipe out all the initial savings. I gambled with the Leica I got online, it was used but I figured the design is so bulletproof that it's not likely to break.

Last edited:
I heard Zeiss can transfer the warranty but not sure of the terms.

I can comment on Zeiss and its warranty. I have sold several FL/Conquest bins on Ebay. Zeiss's Limited Lifetime Warranty applies only to manufacturer defects and not any misuse/abuse by the owner. One gentleman I sold a binocular to eventually ran into a problem with a focusing knob. Zeiss repaired it for no charge other than shipping.

In many cases the owner's half of the warranty card can be sent with the binocular when it is resold.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back