• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Ireland For Christmas (1 Viewer)

mali

England
Hi,
We are thinking of spending 7/10 days in Ireland, just before, during, and just after Christmas 08. We have not laid down any plans as to whereabouts we would like to go in Ireland. In relation to birds, we were wondering if anyone has any info, as to what we may see, and where. It is not set in stone yet, but any info would be hugely appreciated. Thanks in advance, Mali & Hazel.

Hi Mali,
If you plan to visit the North try Strangford Lough, Lough Foyle, Inishowen (Isle of Doagh, Trawbrega Bay) Inch Lake, Blanket Nook.

Buy the book by Eric Dempsey "Finding Birds in Ireland", it gives a great insight where to go throughout the year. I'm sure others will give you great advice for the South and West.

Richard

Hi Mali,

If you are based in Dublin then the Bull Island would be the best and most convienient place to go birding. Further north in the county, Rogerstown Estuary and Swords Estuary are both excellent.

If you are in Wexford then I would highly recommend birding Tacumshin Lake and the Wexford Wildfowl Reserve on the North Slob. Impressive numbers of wildfowl and waders at both sites as well as scarce and rare.

I've spent the past two weekends at these sites in Wexford and have seen: Snow Goose, Black-throated Diver, GNDiver, Slavonian Grebe, Yellow-legged Gull, Water Pipit, Jack Snipe, Merlin, Hen Harrier, Scaup, Spotted Redshank, 6,500 Greenland White-fronted Geese, 5,000 Wigeon, 1,000 Icelandic Black-tailed Godwits, Icelandic Greylag Goose, 2,000 Pale-bellied Brent Geese etc.

There is a Black Brant on the North Slob at the moment also. Numbers are still building up, there will be more GWFGeese by the time you are over and I'm sure a few more yanky ducks will turn up before then.

See Ya,
Niall

Hi,
I would also recomend Eric Dempsy's book as it's really informative, you can also look at the Birdwatch Ireland website: http://www.birdwatchireland.ie/ and click on "events" and take a look at the branch events which are always good. All events are free and non-members are welcome,
Have a great Christmas,
Sfswhite

Hi guys , if your planning a few days in ireland wexford is possibly the best county to go to for birdwatching.the wildfowl reserve is excellent also tacumshin lake and ladys island. I would also recommend eric dempseys book finding birds in ireland , it goes into great detail and the directions to the various sites are very good.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back