• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Damselfly emerging! (1 Viewer)

LMG

Have just spent an hour this afternoon watching a damselfly emerge from it's nymphal case, climb up a stem, pump up it's wings and fly off. What a wonderful sight! I took over 100 pictures, so that I could remember the whole sequence. Here's a photo of it emerging. In the next posting, I'll show you the final insect.

Attachments

• damselfly.jpg
    damselfly.jpg
    77.9 KB · Views: 385
Last edited:
At last I've managed to reduce the image! If anyone can identify it, I'd love to know what it is. I know they don't get their full colours for a few days, so it might be difficult.

Attachments

• damselfly4.jpg
    damselfly4.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 365
Hello, LMG.
Brilliant photos!
It's a large red damselfly, one of only two predominantly red UK species. The other, the small red, is confined to acid peat bogs--so you won't get it in your garden unless it's an unusual garden!!
I already put a brief note in your photo gallery before I realised that you started this thread. I've never seen a damsel/dragonfly emerging but I did find an exuvia last summer.
I'd be interested to know how big the exuvia was (that is the discarded larval skin).
I think I'm right in saying that odonata usually emerge overnight or in the very early morning.

Fantastic sight that one. Just reading in my book where it states that the hawker dragonfly emerges during the night, whereas the other dragonfly groups & damselfly emerge early morning.

So to see a damselfly emerge during the afternoon must be quite unusual.

Did see a few Large red damselfly in the mid-yare area a few weeks ago but not seen any in a few visits since, presumably due to the downturn in the weather.

Out of interest Ken, how did you ID that as a Large Red?

Great shots BTW this is something I have never seen either but I would like to find and photograph this event. Well done. Just for your info here is an adult Large Red damselfly (at least I think it is) that I photographed last year.

Rich

Attachments

• large red damselflylw.jpg
    large red damselflylw.jpg
    26.9 KB · Views: 311
I have been out today photographing Dragonflies too.
Any idea what this one is Ken.
Again i assume it has recently emerged.

Attachments

• drag9011.jpg
    drag9011.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 299
I also took this one today which I believe is the small red damselfly.
(Thanks Ken for identifying this as actually being a Large Red)

Attachments

• smallred23-05-03051lwlw.jpg
    smallred23-05-03051lwlw.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 295
Hi Surreybirder,
Thanks for identifying the large red. How could you tell? There was no visable colour - the expert eye I suppose. The exuvia (I've learnt a new word!) was 17mm, I've included a better photo of it. BTW it emerged between 2 and 3p.m. It was raining on and off, so I stood there with an umbrella, to keep it dry!

Attachments

• ex.jpg
    ex.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 299
Last edited:
I may be getting out of my depth here! I'm quite new to odonata myself. I am sure that Redwing's supposed small red is in fact a large red... the small red would have red legs and much narrower antehumeral stripes. (Both extremely good pix!!)
Lovely pic of the exuvia, LMG!--how public spirited of you to keep it dry. I believe that rain can actually damage the wings of teneral damselflies, so it may have had some practical value.

The books I have don't really show immature (teneral) stages of damselflies so I have to admit that I haven't a clue what your dark one is Redwing. But I'll send a link to this page to one or two of my friends and see if they can offer an opinion.
As to LMG's damsel, it has an overall pinkish hue which made me think that it would turn red... (There is a violet form of the blue-tailed damselfy but I think you would be able to see a hint of the blue on the 'tail'... more research needed.)
Can anyone help!!

Last edited:
small red damselfly (Ceriagrion tenellum)

redwing said:
I also took this one today which I believe is the small red damselfly.

I've attached a photo I took of a small red at Thursley common. They really are small. Sorry it's not the greatest quality.

PS The small red is actually quite well camouflaged, despite its red colouration, because some of the grasses in its preferred habitat are also quite red.
By the way, there were plenty of sundew in the bog too, I wonder how many of the damsels get eaten by plants? A sad end for such a predatory insect!

Attachments

• small_red_damselfly.jpg
    small_red_damselfly.jpg
    25 KB · Views: 248
Last edited:
exuvia

LMG said:
Hi Surreybirder,
Thanks for identifying the large red. How could you tell? There was no visable colour - the expert eye I suppose. The exuvia (I've learnt a new word!) was 17mm, I've included a better photo of it. BTW it emerged between 2 and 3p.m. It was raining on and off, so I stood there with an umbrella, to keep it dry!

Just for comparison, here's an exuvia I found, which I believe is that of the southern hawker dragonfly.

Attachments

• southern_hawker_exuvia.jpg
    southern_hawker_exuvia.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 242
hi lmg
absolutley stunning photos, and what a way to send an hour or
to. bert.

O thanks Ken I must admit I had not really considered the leg colour and this insect was so small i just thought i was probably a small red, i have to look out for small reds, they must be tiny.

I think I was right with these though but the legs still do not appear very red, but there not Black either just pale, would they be recent emergents.
http://members.lycos.co.uk/digitalwildlife/odonata/Smllred.htm Taken last year at Thursley common.

Great exuvia shots Ken. :t:

Richard, as I've said I'm no expert but the (excellent) photos seem to be small reds--legs showing redness and no sign of any antehumeral stripes that I can see.
(Same red grass at Thursley!)

redwing said:
I have been out today photographing Dragonflies too.
Any idea what this one is Ken.
Again i assume it has recently emerged.

Hi Richard,
without more abdomen showing I'm afraid it's virtually impossible to id from the angle of the shot. At a guess I would say that it's another Large Red as any of the blues usually show some of their [eventually] blue markings as pale segments. But as I say it's a brave person who would make a determination from the image. It would be a good one for a quizz night though;)
Dorsal [top] views usually give more clues as to species - even in tenerals but then you have the perennial problem of spooking the subject by casting a shadow. Great that you're taking images of tenerals though as it's much neglected - most plump for the bright, gaudy mature insects.
Sorry I can't be of more help.
Best Wishes,

Steve

ovipositing

I found an exuvia in my garden pond today, not unlike LMG's. I photod it with my SLR camera but I'm not holding my breath as it was in a hard-to-get-at position.
The teneral damselfly was still there but I'm not sure what it was.
In the meantime, three pairs of large reds were ovipositing (egg laying). The males hold onto the females, which dip their abdomens into the water.
I'll attach a not very brilliant photo.

Attachments

• large_reds_ovi2.jpg
    large_reds_ovi2.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 228
more damsels

Summer is really coming to Surrey. I saw my first azure damselflies in our garden today (28 May), already ovipositing. Poor photo attached.

Attachments

• azures_laying_ed.jpg
    azures_laying_ed.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 210
Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back