• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Durham ,Butterflies, Moths and Dragonflies. (2 Viewers)

I am not really into moths etc but I was pleasantly suprised to observe this morning what from the web seems to be a Humming Bird Hawk Moth on my Budleia ? Could that be right living in albeit a leafy superb ( Ashbrooke) of Sunderland ?

Also saw at work today(Caterpillar Peterlee) what again from the web sems to have been an Elephant Hawk Moth resting/asleep on a wooden crate ?

Many thanks for any replies.

I am not really into moths etc but I was pleasantly suprised to observe this morning what from the web seems to be a Humming Bird Hawk Moth on my Budleia ? Could that be right living in albeit a leafy superb ( Ashbrooke) of Sunderland ?

Also saw at work today(Caterpillar Peterlee) what again from the web sems to have been an Elephant Hawk Moth resting/asleep on a wooden crate ?

Many thanks for any replies.

Hello Andy,

If it looked like a Hummingbird and visited the Buddlia during daylight then it is almost certainly a Hummingbird Hawkmoth, there have been numerous sightings locally in the past couple of weeks and some have been seen ovipositing. Seening them in a town of city is not at all unusual, they are just seeking out nectar resources, not viewing the architecture. Be aware also that some other moths are day flighers and the Silver Y in particular is also frequently seen during the day nectaring.

If the larvae you saw was quite small it is likely to be an Elephant Hawk but it it was large, then it is unlikely. The adults are still on the wing but dying off now with it being an early year for Leps. A picture would have helped.

Harry

Kibblesworth - 20+ Purple Hairstreak & 5 Grayling

Couple of pics:

Attachments

• DSC_4164-07-15-11_16545.JPG
    DSC_4164-07-15-11_16545.JPG
    375.8 KB · Views: 193
  • DSC_4211-07-15-11_16592.jpg
    DSC_4211-07-15-11_16592.jpg
    336 KB · Views: 229
  • DSC_4259-07-15-11_16640.jpg
    DSC_4259-07-15-11_16640.jpg
    315.4 KB · Views: 187
  • DSC_4366-07-15-11_16747.jpg
    DSC_4366-07-15-11_16747.jpg
    382.1 KB · Views: 198
Excellent selection of Dragonflies at Cowpen Bewley today, 2-3 Common Hawker, 2 Brown Hawker,Ruddy Darter,Common Darter,female Emperor,Common Blue and Emerald damselfly.

Several Garyling with plenty of other Butterflies in the dunes at Seaton Snook.

Attachments

• tn_081.JPG
    tn_081.JPG
    40.2 KB · Views: 196
  • tn_086.JPG
    tn_086.JPG
    72.5 KB · Views: 207
  • tn_095.JPG
    tn_095.JPG
    34.2 KB · Views: 205
  • tn_098.JPG
    tn_098.JPG
    47.7 KB · Views: 188
  • tn_107.JPG
    tn_107.JPG
    57.1 KB · Views: 205
Saw a Red Admiral and a Painted Lady yesterday before it started raining at Hartlepool Headland .Its only my 3rd Painted Lady i have seen this year.Seen numerous Peacocks,Red Admirals its been an excellent year for those.Also a few Comma but not many Small Torts

Still lots of Speckled Woods at Whitburn CPK today,well into double figures also a couple of Red Admirals all starting to look a bit worse for wear though.

would be nice to see this thread pick up again...just wanted to post that I saw a humingbird hawk moth on 14th July at Wingate quarry loads of marbled whites also ..any one seen the hBHM's up here this year ?

Attachments

• 110aaac.jpg
    110aaac.jpg
    139.9 KB · Views: 149
would be nice to see this thread pick up again...just wanted to post that I saw a humingbird hawk moth on 14th July at Wingate quarry loads of marbled whites also ..any one seen the hBHM's up here this year ?
Aye I agree :t:, nice one with the hummer. Seen my first Painted lady in over two years yesterday in the Whitburn coastal park.

Aye I agree :t:, nice one with the hummer. Seen my first Painted lady in over two years yesterday in the Whitburn coastal park.
Hi Seggs Ive only see 2 myself this year while stitting outside the glass museum my mates had one in his garden down hear. Ive only seen a few comas also but otherwise butterflies seem to have had a good year loads of Argus in the quaries and I saw over 20 Dark green frits. at a site on the moors.

Attachments

• 082fffzz.jpg
    082fffzz.jpg
    232.5 KB · Views: 177
Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back