Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

The last time you saw a Greenfinch

Old Tuesday 13th March 2018, 15:31   #26
jape

confirmed single greenfinch today, top of sycamores
Old Tuesday 13th March 2018, 16:53   #27
Nutcracker
Northumbrian

Several today, southeast Northumbs
Old Tuesday 13th March 2018, 17:51   #28
KenM

A sign of the times....this am a plague of Greenfinches atop tall birch (4!!!) then displaced by 9 Hawfinch!
Old Friday 16th March 2018, 08:19   #29
MK90
Always learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Chapman View Post
.... I believe that they have bounced back a little this year....
I have definitely noticed this around my area and local patch in North London. Every morning on my walk to the station I see or hear several birds when I never used to encounter them. I also counted upwards of 20 at my local patch the other week when it used to be rare to see more than one.

Is this a case of Greenfinches making a mini-comeback or could it just be an eruption of wintering birds?
Old Friday 16th March 2018, 11:15   #30
Nutcracker
Northumbrian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MK90 View Post
Is this a case of Greenfinches making a mini-comeback or could it just be an eruption of wintering birds?
I suspect they have a bit too. Worth adding, Bullfinches have made a big come-back in the last 2-3 years, they're quite common now
Old Friday 16th March 2018, 11:51   #31
andyadcock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nutcracker View Post
I suspect they have a bit too. Worth adding, Bullfinches have made a big come-back in the last 2-3 years, they're quite common now
Not in Nottingham, I have one sighting of Bullfinch in 20 years from my garden and Greenfinches are notably absent, Goldfinches are very common now and seem to have replaced Greenfinches.

I think and as mentioned above, many of the Greenfinches around at the moment, are migrants, we lose all our Greenfinches over the Russian winter.

Collared Doves are not as numerous as they were either in my area of Nottingham, Wood Pigs are abundant.

A

Last edited by andyadcock : Friday 16th March 2018 at 11:53.
Old Friday 16th March 2018, 13:22   #32
Nutcracker
Northumbrian

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyadcock View Post
Not in Nottingham, I have one sighting of Bullfinch in 20 years from my garden and Greenfinches are notably absent, Goldfinches are very common now and seem to have replaced Greenfinches.

I think and as mentioned above, many of the Greenfinches around at the moment, are migrants, we lose all our Greenfinches over the Russian winter.

Collared Doves are not as numerous as they were either in my area of Nottingham, Wood Pigs are abundant.
Odd about Bullfinches for you! Same with Goldfinch though, the commonest finch here now.

Collared Doves have all but disappeared around me - very rare now, though I don't have to go far (~2 km) to start seeing them again. Masses of Wood Pigeons of course, also good numbers of Stock Doves (I'd guess 4-5 times commoner than Collared Doves).
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: