• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bubo Bubo off to Belgium (1 Viewer)

Suricate

The European Eagle Owl ( Bubo Bubo ) has become an unwanted " Pet " there are many that have just been released into the wild and they can easilly adapt to life in the wild.
But now a lifeline to help many unwanted Bubos are being sent to Belgium to breed and thus boost the wild population.
Suricate

I strongly suspect there is a healthy population of Eagle Owls in the UK. I know of one such location in northern England where they have successfuly bred in the wild for several years now in a rural environment.

I find it a little surprising that more sightings haven't been reported.

Last edited:
I read a report recently in The Guardian claiming that one pair of European eagle owls living wild in the north of England has successfully reared 15 young since 1996.

Anthony Morton said:
I read a report recently in The Guardian claiming that one pair of European eagle owls living wild in the north of England has successfully reared 15 young since 1996.

Ooh! That would be popular amongst pigeon fanciers.

I see another Ruddy Duck debate coming . . . there's no evidence that Eagle Owls were ever native to Britain, and plenty of evidence that they can cause havoc among breeding populations of other raptors. So maybe we should be retrapping them all.
But then again with their reputed favourite diet of domestic cats . . . :-O

Michael

CJW said:
Ooh! That would be popular amongst pigeon fanciers.

They are even less popular with small dog and cat owners as the larger bubos` will take foxes and the odd Roe deer
So size doesnt` matter !!
Suricate

Michael Frankis said:
I see another Ruddy Duck debate coming . . . there's no evidence that Eagle Owls were ever native to Britain, and plenty of evidence that they can cause havoc among breeding populations of other raptors. So maybe we should be retrapping them all.
But then again with their reputed favourite diet of domestic cats . . . :-O

Michael
The question of whether Eagle Owls were ever native is in some references stated it was ?. It is thought they were native to the UK up until the latter part of the19th century, but !! considering they many species are already declining is there room for the Bubo Bubo. Although they mainly feed on rabbits/ hares they will take birds up to the size of buteos fromtheir night roosts.
Many of these Bubos have just been released because people either get fed up or finish up getting injured by one. I think the oldest captive bubo lived until it was 74.
Suricate

IanF said:
I strongly suspect there is a healthy population of Eagle Owls in the UK. I know of one such location in northern England where they have successfuly bred in the wild for several years now in a rural environment.

I find it a little surprising that more sightings haven't been reported.
Hi Ian,
I recieve many calls from people reporting large owl sitings, mainly through the Police. In Corby Northamptonshire there was a pair living in and around the Shopping centre ( living on the feral pigeons ).
We have had reports of European Eagle Owls, Bengal Eagle Owls, Snowy Owls and a Great Horned Owl in the past 6 months.
Suricate

QUOTE=CJW - Ooh! That would be popular amongst pigeon fanciers.

Hi CJW,

Since roosting Peregrine Falcons and other assorted raptors feature highly on the European Eagle Owl's nocturnal fast-food menu, you're probably right about pigeon fanciers being pleased to see their numbers increase - but somehow I don't think that's quite what you meant, is it?

And as for them being a threat to racing pigeons - I shouldn't think so, since they are all safely out of harms way in their lofts during the hours of darkness when Bubo bubo goes about his work.

So a good try you old long range sniper you - but no cigar this time!

Suricate said:
Hi Ian,
I recieve many calls from people reporting large owl sitings, mainly through the Police. In Corby Northamptonshire there was a pair living in and around the Shopping centre ( living on the feral pigeons ).
We have had reports of European Eagle Owls, Bengal Eagle Owls, Snowy Owls and a Great Horned Owl in the past 6 months.
Suricate

More good reasons to restrict or ban outright the keeping of wild birds' eh?

Andy.

satrow said:
More good reasons to restrict or ban outright the keeping of wild birds' eh?

Andy.
Hi Andy,
I feel that a licensing policy should become part of the new legislation and adopted for certain species. Many of the problems are caused by the people that buy or take on birds of prey, usually as a whim then realise they do not want them or they cannot take them out as fashion accessories ( Bubos chained on to your shoulder!! ) so they are just released.
Suricate

Suricate said:
Hi Andy,
I feel that a licensing policy should become part of the new legislation and adopted for certain species. Many of the problems are caused by the people that buy or take on birds of prey, usually as a whim then realise they do not want them or they cannot take them out as fashion accessories ( Bubos chained on to your shoulder!! ) so they are just released.
Suricate

Which species would you like to see licensed? This seasons fashions items or last seasons?

It only takes one film...........

Why not tighten up on all species?

Andy.

satrow said:
Which species would you like to see licensed? This seasons fashions items or last seasons?

It only takes one film...........

Why not tighten up on all species?

Andy.
There are a great many people experienced with many species and have helped with conservation work, rehabilitation and breeding endangered species.
The majority of mismanagement seems to come from the desire to keep birds of prey with no experience or effort to learn. So I would first look at controlling the ease that people can just get hold of a raptor and stop hybridisation.
The film Industry should have the responsibility to deter people from buying on a whim as any species used is being advertised.
In 1969 Barry Hines` story ( KES ) about a small boy taking a Kestrel chick from a nest caused the death of many wild young Kestrels due solely to ignorance.
Ninja Turtles and Harry Potter.
But from a bird lovers view I would first like to see Cat owners made more responsible for their pets actions.
Suricate

Suricate said:
The majority of mismanagement seems to come from the desire to keep birds of prey with no experience or effort to learn. So I would first look at controlling the ease that people can just get hold of a raptor and stop hybridisation.

Suricate

In my opinion Suricate has raised a very interesting point here regarding the number of raptor hybrids living wild in the UK. I have opened a new thread under the heading 'GENETIC INTEGRITY' to discuss this topic.

Last edited by a moderator:
Suricate said:
The European Eagle Owl ( Bubo Bubo ) has become an unwanted " Pet " there are many that have just been released into the wild and they can easilly adapt to life in the wild.
But now a lifeline to help many unwanted Bubos are being sent to Belgium to breed and thus boost the wild population.
Suricate
Please can you help!

I am currently doing some research into the European Eagle Owl for a Natural History Film Production company with a view to producing a documentary about the owls.

Do you know of any specific breeding pairs this year and their locatrions in the UK or Europe? Do you know of anyone who is studying them or any guides who could take us to the nest sites? Do you know of any other nest sites this year? I'm having difficulties locating anyone who can help me so any help you can give me would be really appreciated.

If you could help me out that would be great. I need the information pretty urgently so if you could contact me that would be good.

Claire Whitby said:
Please can you help!

I am currently doing some research into the European Eagle Owl for a Natural History Film Production company with a view to producing a documentary about the owls.

Do you know of any specific breeding pairs this year and their locatrions in the UK or Europe? Do you know of anyone who is studying them or any guides who could take us to the nest sites? Do you know of any other nest sites this year? I'm having difficulties locating anyone who can help me so any help you can give me would be really appreciated.

If you could help me out that would be great. I need the information pretty urgently so if you could contact me that would be good.

Hi Claire,

The website for the World Owl Trust might be a useful starting point. I found them on:-

http://www.owls.org/index.html

Hope this helps.

Anthony

Hi Claire,

Please be careful with requests like yours, as some people might think that "Claire Whitby" is some pseudonym used by an egg collector to get information from birders where to find eggs! This was discussed in another thread recently.

Peter

Last edited:
I never thought that people might think i was after the eggs but i suppose you're right.

I'm not asking for people to post nest sites on the web, but if anyone knows of any and would be willing to talk to me then that would be great.

I can assure you Claire is my name, and i'm not after the eggs! They've pretty much all hatched by now anyway!

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back