• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

RFI Pearl Fritillaries (1 Viewer)

RobinD

It looks like I will be able a rare trip out on Sunday and having seen all but one of the Upper Thames Butterfly species (Brown Hairstreak still eludes me), I was hoping to fill up some of the gaps on my national list with a trip south of Berkshire.

Two species I am missing are Pearl-bordered and Small Pearl Bordered Fritillary, the Hill and Twist guide suggests that Bentley Wood near Salisbury would be a good option. Is this still a good site and if so, can someone recommend any particular areas to look for either species? Are there any other sites worth trying?

The book also mentions Glanville Fritillary on the mainland. Are they still present and will they be on the wing yet? ( Please pm if necessary)

Thank you,

Robin

Thanks for the help, not sure we'll make it to look for Glanvilles but I will try Bentley wood for the Frits...

We did try Hurst Castle for Glanvilles, and didn't see a single butterfly! We explored the expanses of thrift near the fort - I presume we were looking in the right place?

The result was that we didn't get to Bentley Wood until 6pm which meant that we were too late to find many active butterflies, but did find 3 Small Pearl-bordered Fritillarys going to roost in the late afternoon sun.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back