• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

The things I do for a lifer... (1 Viewer)

nbalblas

Been on a field day yesterday which started pretty well with my first Merlin of the year, a bird I don't see that often in Holland.
Since I have never seen a Jack Snipe before, I looked up some observations and found a flooded field which should hold a couple. Put on the wellies and had a look. After 5 minutes, 4 Common Snipes later, I finally had my first Jack Snipe! I was about to head back and checked one last corner of the field, I put my foot down and.... gone was my right lower leg, down the mud. Water pouring into the boot and before I knew it, the right leg followed. Luckily I got out but it was cold. Very. Very cold. But hey, I got my Jack Snipe! Picture of the result attached...

Attachments

• IMG-20180105-WA0005.jpg
    IMG-20180105-WA0005.jpg
    354.7 KB · Views: 104
  • IMG_6851.jpg
    IMG_6851.jpg
    189.2 KB · Views: 165
Last edited:
Been on a field day yesterday which started pretty well with my first Merlin of the year, a bird I don't see that often in Holland.
Since I have never seen a Jack Snipe before, I looked up some observations and found a flooded field which should hold a couple. Put on the wellies and had a look. After 5 minutes, 4 Common Snipes later, I finally had my first Jack Snipe! I was about to head back and checked one last corner of the field, I put my foot down and.... gone was my right lower leg, down the mud. Water pouring into the boot and before I knew it, the right leg followed. Luckily I got out but it was cold. Very. Very cold. But hey, I got my Jack Snipe! Picture of the result attached...
Stay off the alcohol or drugs mate.....your photo suggests thats a tench in the heron's beak.B :)
Also a cow pat hiding in the grass to the right I believe.

Last edited:
Well, congrats on your lifer! Only you can say if it was worth all that mess. (Nonsense, of course it was). I had a rather messy experience at Arundel once. While putting gear back in the car, I suddenly felt a very heavy hand clapped on my shoulder. Some old friend? Or a copper, having misidentified me as some criminal or other, about to say "You're nicked, son"? But turning round, there was no-one there. Goose poop had dropped on the shoulder from a great height. At least it didn't fall on my head... No, I don't remember what goose species it was. There was no really offensive pong, geese being vegetarian.

More potentially serious was the Iceland Gull at Brogborough Lake on 25 Feb 1990, which I had driven from south London to see. It was a very cold and rainy day. The bird was duly ticked, and a splendid gull it was, despite poor visibility. But time was pressing, the light failing, and I needed to set off for home. Cars were parked in a muddy area, and having arrived late I'd had to leave mine in one of the few remaining - and muddiest - places. Starting up, the wheels spun and slithered hopelessly without getting any grip. I tried all the usual tricks, no joy. When it was very nearly dark I was helped by a (non-birding I think) couple who pulled me out on the end of a tow rope. I'll always be indebted to them. Otherwise it would have meant a night in the car in temperatures not much above freezing.

Edit: when starting to draft this post, I think only the first pic had been uploaded. No problem with that. But exactly what is dangling from the Grey Heron's bill in the second pic I don't know...

Last edited:
Stay off the alcohol or drugs mate.....your photo suggests thats a tench in the heron's beak.B :)
Also a cow pat hiding in the grass to the right I believe.

Haha, no drugs and alcohol here! The picture was at a different location yesterday. Just thought it be nice to add it.

Last edited:
More potentially serious was the Iceland Gull at Brogborough Lake on 25 Feb 1990, which I had driven from south London to see. It was a very cold and rainy day. The bird was duly ticked, and a splendid gull it was, despite poor visibility. But time was pressing, the light failing, and I needed to set off for home. Cars were parked in a muddy area, and having arrived late I'd had to leave mine in one of the few remaining - and muddiest - places. Starting up, the wheels spun and slithered hopelessly without getting any grip. I tried all the usual tricks, no joy. When it was very nearly dark I was helped by a (non-birding I think) couple who pulled me out on the end of a tow rope. I'll always be indebted to them. Otherwise it would have meant a night in the car in temperatures not much above freezing.

Oh, please, being stuck in those things is my specialty3:)
Even spent a half night in the desert in California with tarantulas and scorpions due to a flat. BUT, we did get the Common Poorwills!:-O

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back