• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Conquest 8x32 reflecting eyepiece (1 Viewer)

dvergfalk

Hi, have not tried that many binoculars so this may be a common problem, still new to me.
When looking with back lighting, there are red tinted mirrors reflecting the view behind me, at the outer edges(see pic).
I believe this is due to the very large ocular lenses in this model, or a particularly bad combo with my narrow face? ;) With eye cups twisted out more the problem is less disturbing, but then I don't see the whole view.
Have not tried them in sunny weather yet. And have not decided to keep them either. Anyone experienced this?

And, there's significant play in the focus wheel, runs smoothly though, should I avoid this sample?

Attachments

• mirroring conquest.jpg
    mirroring conquest.jpg
    13.4 KB · Views: 28
Hej, Valkommen.

The same problem can occur with many binoculars.
I think closer fitting longer eyecups, maybe with wings would solve this problem.

Others will advise.

The only problem I have with the 8x32 Conquest HD is looking near streetlights at night, when there is some glare.
I can eliminate this by blocking off the bottom 4mm of the objectives.
Many other binoculars are a lot worse.

The red colour may be due to the coatings.

Last edited:
Reflection of lateral light from the oculars is a common problem. The solution is to use either your hand or winged rubber eyecups to shield the eyepieces.

there's significant play in the focus wheel, runs smoothly though

"Smooth with significant play" is a contradiction in terms.
I owned several Conquest binos and their focusers did not have any play.

The Conquests I have tried have all had smooth focusers but have not had any free-play so I would avoid this unit.

Lee

"Smooth with significant play" is a contradiction in terms.
I owned several Conquest binos and their focusers did not have any play.

Runs smoothly in either direction, when changing direction there's a small but noticeable play before the wheel moves the lenses. It gets worse near the far ends. I have tried two other units without any play, used ones.

Runs smoothly in either direction, when changing direction there's a small but noticeable play before the wheel moves the lenses. It gets worse near the far ends. I have tried two other units without any play, used ones.

Hej
That is a shame. I have two Conquests and they both have really smooth focusers just as you describe. We probably all have very personal dislikes and mine is 'free-play' in the focus. Best avoid this unit.

Lee

Hi,

I'll chime in with the others here. Probably stray light issues around the oculars. Try putting a towel over your head and let it drape down on the sides and pull it in tight to block out any light to see if this helps with making the reflecting light at the edges issue go away. If so than winged eyecups may be helpful or you can just keep the towel on your head |=)|. My 8x32 conquest hd focus mechanism is smooth, quick, and no free-play. Personnally, I would want a different unit with a more refined focus.

CG

Hi,

I'll chime in with the others here. Probably stray light issues around the oculars. Try putting a towel over your head and let it drape down on the sides and pull it in tight to block out any light to see if this helps with making the reflecting light at the edges issue go away. If so than winged eyecups may be helpful or you can just keep the towel on your head |=)|. My 8x32 conquest hd focus mechanism is smooth, quick, and no free-play. Personnally, I would want a different unit with a more refined focus.

CG

Thanks for your tips, could you explain "I would want a different unit with a more refined focus."?

Thanks for your tips, could you explain "I would want a different unit with a more refined focus."?

Cycleguy will explain for sure, but I am certain he means a nice smooth focus with no free-play.

If you live in the south-west of Sweden I can recommend the Store Mosse nature reserve for birds and trollslaender.

Hej
Lee

Cheers Lee, thanks for the location tip! :)

I'm in a somewhat difficult situation, got a decent deal on the Conquest HD 8x32 and it seems that it's hard to find them at all in Sweden(except for demos), also heard they might not be available from Zeiss soon. Is it yet preferrable to skip this item due to the "free-play", I really like the optics and worry about it not being fixable at all, only getting worse over time?

Cheers Lee, thanks for the location tip! :)

I'm in a somewhat difficult situation, got a decent deal on the Conquest HD 8x32 and it seems that it's hard to find them at all in Sweden(except for demos), also heard they might not be available from Zeiss soon. Is it yet preferrable to skip this item due to the "free-play", I really like the optics and worry about it not being fixable at all, only getting worse over time?

I would not accept this unit with free play in the focus. I would send it back to the supplier and tell them it is a faulty unit and needs to be replaced.

I have this model myself and although I have more expensive models this is the one I use in habitats (like Store Mosse) where there can be nearby subjects to look at like trollslaender and then a bird like a crane in the distance and then maybe a butterfly nearby. Conquest 8x32 has a focus speed that makes it possible to move quickly from something close and then far away and then close again. And it has an excellent optical performance.

What makes you think that this model might not be available from Zeiss soon? Are you sure it is not the supplier trying to persuade you to keep this unit?

Hej da

Lee

Certainly....

Your comment - "And, there's significant play in the focus wheel, runs smoothly though, should I avoid this sample?"

My experience with my unit - " My 8x32 conquest hd focus mechanism is smooth, quick, and no free-play."

My comment if I had your unit - "Personally, I would want a different unit with a more refined focus."

Sorry for the confusion!!!

CG

Certainly....

Your comment - "And, there's significant play in the focus wheel, runs smoothly though, should I avoid this sample?"

My experience with my unit - " My 8x32 conquest hd focus mechanism is smooth, quick, and no free-play."

My comment if I had your unit - "Personally, I would want a different unit with a more refined focus."

Sorry for the confusion!!!

CG

No problem, CG!

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back