• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

WWT Welney (1 Viewer)

POCHARD1

Hi All,

I am planning on a trip at the end of January to look for Bewick Swans on the Ouse Washes. I have an interest in Bewicks and I am keen to look for individuals that maybe carrying rings etc. I just wondered if anyone can help me and give me any advice as to where I can find any flocks, I am hoping to stop in the Littleport area and be able to go to WWT Welney everyday throughout my stay.

Any help would be great.

Many Thanks

Pochard1

Hi Pochard1 and welcome to Bird Forum from all the Staff and Moderators

I can't help you I'm afraid, but I'm sure there'll be someone along soon who can

D

POCHARD1 said:
Hi All,

I am planning on a trip at the end of January to look for Bewick Swans on the Ouse Washes. I have an interest in Bewicks and I am keen to look for individuals that maybe carrying rings etc. I just wondered if anyone can help me and give me any advice as to where I can find any flocks, I am hoping to stop in the Littleport area and be able to go to WWT Welney everyday throughout my stay.

Any help would be great.

Many Thanks

Pochard1
The fields around Welney will hold many winter swans,quite a large area to concentrate on.

POP

The nene washes east of peterborough might be worth a look as well,only about 15 odd miles north west of welney.

Other members might be able to confirm wether bewicks are regular at this site,can't think of any reason why they shouldn't be though.

edit,

This might be of interest

http://nenewashworld.blogspot.com/

You'l find a mention on bewicks from the menu on the right.

Matt

Last edited:
Hi Pochard1,
Just drive out the the back of March towards Welney and you pick up flocks as you go. The biggest I found over the last week with both Whooper and Bewicks was in a field at the rear of the WWT Welney Wildfowl Refuge. The road makes a sharp right after you have passed the new visitors centre on your right and runs right alongside the field. I was no more than 50 meters from the birds

Good luck

Cheers
Nick

ChinaBirds said:
Hi Pochard1,
Just drive out the the back of March towards Welney and you pick up flocks as you go. The biggest I found over the last week with both Whooper and Bewicks was in a field at the rear of the WWT Welney Wildfowl Refuge. The road makes a sharp right after you have passed the new visitors centre on your right and runs right alongside the field. I was no more than 50 meters from the birds

Good luck

Cheers
Nick
I endorse this but it is worth checking that the road between Welney village and the Trust Centre is not flooded and impassable as it was in the middle of Dec when I was there. If it is, there is a substantial drive to get around. However if you are staying in Littleport you will be able to get to WWT Welney easily enough but if many birds are to the west of Welney, then this road is the easiest one to go through Welney village and therefore needs to be checked to see if it open.

Hi,

I am going down to Welney next Wednesday until Saturday; I am actually quite interested in the swans but more interested in Whoopers. Hopefully I will get around to some of the flocks and try and ring read some, I will get back to you with some recent counts etc.

Cheers
Kane

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back