• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Ball or pan head? (1 Viewer)

mathare

I said on a recent thread in here that I know almost nothing about tripods and I'm about to reinforce that :eek!:

I have a Sirui T-005X with ball head that I use with my Celestron Regal 80F-ED scope and I'm happy with that. Or at least I haven't yet had any issues with it even though it has been suggested that tripod is a little lightweight for the scope. I also have an Opticron hide clamp that I use with the Sirui ball head, and again I've not really experienced any issues with that set up. A lot of my birding is hide-based, at least with the scope so I use the clamp more than the tripod on most birding trips.

In what circumstances is a pan head preferable to a ball head and vice-versa?

Before I got my scope and tripod I had no real experience of using tripod heads so didn't really have a preference based on previous usage. I bought the ball head partly because of the weight and size factors but recently I have started to wonder whether I should be considering a pan head to give me an alternative. I have wondered about getting a cheap-ish pan head like the Velbron PH-157Q to give it a go. Am I likely to find it easier to track around the reserve with a pan head, for example?

Of all the raptor census workers I know or have worked with I'm sure, that although they are a very happy bunch, they would be terribly upset to find their tripod heads had been changed to infernal ball heads. In fact they wouldn't be able to do their job properly!

In my opinion ball heads are nearly useless for anything but stationary observation. Observations where you set up and don't move the scope, like a nest or a feeder.

A pan and tilt head is a better option, but if you want to track birds in flight I think that you are better off with a video head.

I am currently using a Manfrotto 128RC video. Previously I had several pan and tilt heads and I struggled to track flying birds with them.

Mike

In my opinion ball heads are nearly useless for anything but stationary observation. Observations where you set up and don't move the scope, like a nest or a feeder.

A pan and tilt head is a better option, but if you want to track birds in flight I think that you are better off with a video head.

I am currently using a Manfrotto 128RC video. Previously I had several pan and tilt heads and I struggled to track flying birds with them.

Mike

Agree completely and I have used the same head as yours for 12 years now ;)

Most of the observation I do is on relatively stationary birds e.g waders that may move a short distance while feeding. Occasionally they will fly a short distance and then settle again, in which case I shift the scope round to track them again. I rarely use the scope to track/identify birds in flight.

The ball head I have has a rotator knob allowing me to spin the setup through 360 degrees without changing the tilt of the ball so I can track birds as they fly as long as the flight is relatively level/straight but like I say, I rarely track birds in flight.

After only ever having pan and tilt heads I bought a Manfrotto 290 last year ( 4 section legs, so it's nice and short when packed in my hand luggage ) that came with a 494RC2 ball head. It took some getting used to but I seem to have found the optimal tension now and find it as easy as a pan and tilt for waders, 'small stuff' in trees and bushes and overflying raptors. I suppose it's just a case of what suits you, and if your prepared to put up with the completely random behaviour of a ball head at first.

I wouldn't want a ball head with that big boy (Regal 80mm). I have the Regal and that dude needs a video head!

I think a Manfrotto 190CX3 plus 128RC would work well. I typically use an 055XB legset with it, but combined it's a monster. I switched over to a 700RC2 head and, although not quite as nice as the 128 it saves some weight.

Is this the M2 version of the Regal? It's lighter than the original, but still a BIG scope.

Mark

PS: I think Manfrotto is changing over to new lines, new model numbers, so some of what I said may be out of date.

Last edited:
It's not the M2, no. Why does that scope need a video head though?

I'm not looking to change my tripod (or scope), just curious as to when a pan head would be more useful than the ball head I currently use (and enjoy).

It's not the M2, no. Why does that scope need a video head though?

I'm not looking to change my tripod (or scope), just curious as to when a pan head would be more useful than the ball head I currently use (and enjoy).

I recall seeing in a test of the original Regal 80mm that despite the maufacturer's specs it was something like 82 or 84 ounces. I believe it. It's a big and heavy scope. Ball heads work better for lighter weights, and when you just want to point at something and maybe take a picture. Video heads on big scopes allow great control ease for pan and tilt, for following birds, for scanning.

And don't get me wrong, I also think the Regal is a darn good scope! But it needs a pretty solid tripod as well and the little Sirui (which I think would be great with a 23 ounce ED50) just wouldn't be my choice for the big 80mm.

Mark

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back