• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Vintage/Antique Binocular Identification Help Please~ (1 Viewer)

HanaK

Hello Binocular collectors and enthusiasts!

My husband and I love thrifting and vintage/antique items, especially those with historical and cultural value. Yesterday we found a pair of vintage/antique binoculars that appear to be from the WW2 era. We bought them and spent all night googling to find out what exactly they were, what they were used for, who they were used by, their place and year of origin, and their value......sadly we came up empty handed and learned nothing.

This of course struck us as as very odd, so I thought I'd ask the experts (you guys) for some help! If you know anything about them please let us know!

The only writing we have found on the binos are as follows:

Felag

No 1894

8x

They did also come in a hide/leather bag with a reddish/purplish color velvet like interior.

Thank you all so much!

Photos here: https://www.cloudynights.com/gallery/slideshow/album-9582/

Thank you for your reply!

Unfortunately nothing like that is written on the binoculars. The only things written on them are Felag, No 1894, and 8x.

Thank you for your help!

Hi HanaK,
Welcome.

Possibly German or French, maybe c. 1930.
Prismatic.
Uncoated probably.
Centre focus.

Maybe 8x24.
What is the clear diameter of the front glass (objectives)?

Perhaps £25.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back