• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Garden/Yard List 2020 (1 Viewer)

If I can emulate last years Aug/Sep/Oct haul (somehow can’t see it) I’d probably be on a record year.
That said...no two years are the same so no bets from me, however enforced quarantine could produce some interesting birds for all participants.

We can dream of out of area migrants, of which there are a whole range of species and with sky watching becoming an important “stage” at this period, I’ve begun to look at overshooting occurrences over the last few years into the Low Countries...with some sobering possibilities not too far away, fingers x’d for all yard/garden listers. :t:

Last year's list has 17 (17!!) that I've not seen this year yet - with about 7 likely. But this year I've already had 3 that I didn't get last year.
So I reckon last year was rather exceptional.

I'll try to stay ahead of half of Ryan's list!!

April 9th.

62. Willow Warbler - a very distant singer graciously worked its way into next door's rose bush

It and five Fieldfares going over take my Lockdown List up to 54, garden only. A very quiet morning otherwise though.

Steve

Last year's list has 17 (17!!) that I've not seen this year yet - with about 7 likely. But this year I've already had 3 that I didn't get last year.
So I reckon last year was rather exceptional.

Interesting H!...so far 28 species on last year’s list yet to be seen?, and 6 this year (not seen last), with 4 garden newbies out of the six. :eek!:

Willow Warbler?

Unlike Steve and Rich's birds, this phyllosc that briefly visited the neighbour's pear tree this evening was silent, but seemed longer winged and not at all fidgety and waggy tailed as a typical Chiffchaff, do the two rushed pictures that I managed help with the id.?

Attachments

• willowchiff 1.jpg
    willowchiff 1.jpg
    398 KB · Views: 38
  • willowchiff 2.jpg
    willowchiff 2.jpg
    458 KB · Views: 43
Richard - I would say Chiffchaff but I've been rubbish today so I wouldn't listen to me!

Three other Clevedon birders saw Red Kites from their gardens today but I missed them. However, a WhatsApp from Carol Rushton produced:-

55 Raven - a pair circling & briefly tumbling - 09 April 2020

Lockdown garden list 52 with 34 photographed & two heard only. A few of today's limited pics.

All the best

Paul

Attachments

• Raven 001 - Copy.jpg
    Raven 001 - Copy.jpg
    281.8 KB · Views: 36
  • Raven 004 - Copy.JPG
    Raven 004 - Copy.JPG
    237 KB · Views: 36
  • House Sparrow 001 - Copy.JPG
    House Sparrow 001 - Copy.JPG
    502.5 KB · Views: 46
  • House Sparrow 003 - Copy.JPG
    House Sparrow 003 - Copy.JPG
    391.4 KB · Views: 27
  • House Sparrow 004 - Copy.JPG
    House Sparrow 004 - Copy.JPG
    412.3 KB · Views: 32
Unlike Steve and Rich's birds, this phyllosc that briefly visited the neighbour's pear tree this evening was silent, but seemed longer winged and not at all fidgety and waggy tailed as a typical Chiffchaff, do the two rushed pictures that I managed help with the id.?

I'm always a bit cautious about trying to read wing detail from a 2D image but I'm pretty sure the primary projection in photo 2 confirms the impression from photo 1 that it's a Chiffchaff.

Thanks for the responses Paul and Graham, it was a sluggish Chiffchaff then, I fell into that modern trap of grabbing the camera before my bins and quickly lost it to view, a lesson learnt there.

Thanks for the responses Paul and Graham, it was a sluggish Chiffchaff then, I fell into that modern trap of grabbing the camera before my bins and quickly lost it to view, a lesson learnt there.

Certainly a Chiffy Richard!...quite a contrasty eye-stripe/super there, don’t know if tristis might be a candidate?

I’m programmed to grab the camera if I think I’ve got enough time to get off a burst, if not, I use the bins. :t:

After a marathon skywatch this am....2 Sand Martin on high...and over. no.68.

Last edited:
First hirundine of the year, and a bit of backwards listing to boot:

53. House Martin 1 North

in other news Lunar Marbled Brown, Iron Prominent and Nut-tree Tussock in the moth trap, and a Green-veined White in the back garden yesterday.

John

27 Golden Crowned Kinglet Which I know for sure I've had earlier, but must have forgotten to write it down.
28 Fox Sparrows doing their foot shuffle under the feeders for the past couple of days. I love it when they pass through, one of my favourites.

Also had a couple of Turkey Vultures roosting within sight of the upstairs window, which I guess is an upgrade from flyover, though they weren't in the garden.

And this morning, a party of Wild Turkeys went through, one of which was leucistic, a real treat. Hopefully they come back a little closer at some point, as photos through the trees were tough.

Attachments

• leucistic turkey.jpg
    leucistic turkey.jpg
    331.7 KB · Views: 30
27 Golden Crowned Kinglet Which I know for sure I've had earlier, but must have forgotten to write it down.
28 Fox Sparrows doing their foot shuffle under the feeders for the past couple of days. I love it when they pass through, one of my favourites.

Also had a couple of Turkey Vultures roosting within sight of the upstairs window, which I guess is an upgrade from flyover, though they weren't in the garden.

And this morning, a party of Wild Turkeys went through, one of which was leucistic, a real treat. Hopefully they come back a little closer at some point, as photos through the trees were tough.

.....I guess “leuci” won’t be dreaming of a White Christmas jasper! ;)

Cheers

One more today - a brief sing from the top of a conifer & away:-

56 Coal Tit - 10 April 2020

Lockdown garden list 53 with 34 photographed & two heard only. A few of today's limited pics.

All the best

Paul

Attachments

• Orange-tip 002.JPG
    Orange-tip 002.JPG
    526.3 KB · Views: 25
  • Goldfinch 003 (reduced).jpg
    Goldfinch 003 (reduced).jpg
    286.4 KB · Views: 25
  • Starling 002 (reduced).jpg
    Starling 002 (reduced).jpg
    526.6 KB · Views: 24
  • Robin 004 (reduced).jpg
    Robin 004 (reduced).jpg
    502.6 KB · Views: 31
  • Herring Gull 010 (reduced).jpg
    Herring Gull 010 (reduced).jpg
    228.6 KB · Views: 24
After a marathon skywatch this am....2 Sand Martin on high...and over. no.68.

After an afternoon exercise walk, back ''on station'' only this time from the front garden, feral doves left the pot holed road with a clatter! then Hey Presto!....believed to be a 2nd calendar year Hobby appeared above the house, no.69 (and I believe my earliest ever by some margin).

Ken

I confess that I would say first-summer Peregrine for that pic. I have a similar one on my patch at the moment.

All the best

Paul

Attachments

• Peregrine 001.jpg
    Peregrine 001.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 37
  • Peregrine 002.jpg
    Peregrine 002.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 41
Ken

I confess that I would say first-summer Peregrine for that pic. I have a similar one on my patch at the moment.

All the best

Paul

Paul I agree!, first impression was structurally favouring Peregrine (having seen one earlier in the day) however I was thrown by the apparent vertical streaking to the breast and belly with a contrasting clear cut top (which I've never seen before on Peregrine), thus I was swayed from my initial ID. Have to assume that it was a 2nd calendar year bird?

Many thanks

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back