Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Discover the ZEISS Digital Nature Hub

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Garden/Yard List 2020

Old Tuesday 5th May 2020, 21:14   #726
RyanI

The past two weeks have been a bit of a struggle for passerine migrants, fortunately there has been a decent number of waders moving, the undoubted highlight were the 6 Black-tailed Godwits, only my 5th record in 9 years here. The parakeet was a rather unwanted new bird for the garden, joining the Alexandrine on my patch now and tonights adult Pom Skua was an unusual spring record for here.

Lockdown has obviously helped my garden yearlist so far as I'd normally be away for most of the spring so I thought I'd check my numbers for previous years up to the 5th May: 2019 - 91 species, 2018 - 82 species, 2017 - 93 species.

126 Bar-tailed Godwit 23-Apr-20
127 Avocet 23-Apr-20
128 Common Sandpiper 23-Apr-20
129 Common Cuckoo 27-Apr-20
130 Ring-necked Pheasant 02-May-20
131 Willow Warbler 02-May-20
132 Rose-ringed Parakeet 02-May-20
133 Black-tailed Godwit 04-May-20
134 Pomarine Skua 05-May-20

DDL Groupie - Curlew Night Heron
http://patchworkchallenge.blogspot.co.uk/
Old Tuesday 5th May 2020, 22:07   #727
birdmeister

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warixenjalka View Post
Oh, you have your own birding tower there.
I only wish! This is from one of the bedroom windows, only an emergency observatory. If sun glare is bad or there are light showers, I head into the little playset "hut". Otherwise, I stand on the left side of the yard in the grass, or in a patio chair for afternoon raptor watches.

Last edited by birdmeister : Wednesday 6th May 2020 at 12:44.
Old Wednesday 6th May 2020, 07:44   #728
Richard Prior
Halfway up an Alp

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanI View Post
The past two weeks have been a bit of a struggle for passerine migrants, fortunately there has been a decent number of waders moving, the undoubted highlight were the 6 Black-tailed Godwits, only my 5th record in 9 years here. The parakeet was a rather unwanted new bird for the garden, joining the Alexandrine on my patch now and tonights adult Pom Skua was an unusual spring record for here.

Lockdown has obviously helped my garden yearlist so far as I'd normally be away for most of the spring so I thought I'd check my numbers for previous years up to the 5th May: 2019 - 91 species, 2018 - 82 species, 2017 - 93 species.

126 Bar-tailed Godwit 23-Apr-20
127 Avocet 23-Apr-20
128 Common Sandpiper 23-Apr-20
129 Common Cuckoo 27-Apr-20
130 Ring-necked Pheasant 02-May-20
131 Willow Warbler 02-May-20
132 Rose-ringed Parakeet 02-May-20
133 Black-tailed Godwit 04-May-20
134 Pomarine Skua 05-May-20
Wow Ryan, youíre way up on your usual even allowing for lockdown ( Iím five up on my end of April tally for last year, but as Iím retired Iím not spending huge amounts of extra time garden birding compared to a typical spring), Black- tailed Godwit is a good one, in my 16 years at Selsey Bill I only recorded the species once!
Old Wednesday 6th May 2020, 16:06   #729
Warixenjalka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert_Young View Post
I may be mis-understanding, but the photo of ducks flying that you have posted shows Eurasian Wigeon, not Northern Pintail
I wonder long time between those two species and even asked for one friend. He's thought was that they are Pintails. But maybe I have to ask few opinions still.

Edit: Now I got opinion also from real Guru and Pintails they are.

PS. Wigeon would been G-lifer too.
Last lifer: Pied Bushchat #439, WP ticks: 329, Finnish ticks: 269, Eco ticks: 200 (Spotted Crake), Yard tics (alltime): 114 (Northern Wheatear), Photo ticks: 407 (Pied Bushchat)

Last edited by Warixenjalka : Wednesday 6th May 2020 at 16:20.
Old Wednesday 6th May 2020, 16:12   #730
Warixenjalka

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenM View Post
Well done on the ďGrdn.LifersĒ Wari! How many lifers have you had this year...surely not as many as birdmeister.
I think I've only 5 or 6...
Last lifer: Pied Bushchat #439, WP ticks: 329, Finnish ticks: 269, Eco ticks: 200 (Spotted Crake), Yard tics (alltime): 114 (Northern Wheatear), Photo ticks: 407 (Pied Bushchat)
Old Wednesday 6th May 2020, 16:14   #731
Warixenjalka

Quote:
Originally Posted by birdmeister View Post
I only wish! This is from one of the bedroom windows, only an emergency observatory. If sun glare is bad or there are light showers, I head into the little playset "hut". Otherwise, I stand on the left side of the yard in the grass, or in a patio chair for afternoon raptor watches.
I just meant that playset hut is "birding tower" of yours.
Old Wednesday 6th May 2020, 17:21   #732
Robert_Young
Registered Member

Quote:
I wonder long time between those two species and even asked for one friend. He's thought was that they are Pintails. But maybe I have to ask few opinions still.

Edit: Now I got opinion also from real Guru and Pintails they are.

PS. Wigeon would been G-lifer too.
Surely they are Wigeon? Anybody else able to confirm?
Old Wednesday 6th May 2020, 17:48   #733
JWN Andrewes
Poor Judge of Pasta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert_Young View Post
Surely they are Wigeon? Anybody else able to confirm?
Look like Pintail to me, eg pale trailing edge to secondaries. I reckon shape also looks better for Pintail.
Last Garden - (96) Crossbill.
Old Wednesday 6th May 2020, 19:19   #734
Farnboro John

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWN Andrewes View Post
Look like Pintail to me, eg pale trailing edge to secondaries. I reckon shape also looks better for Pintail.
I agree on the shape, everything is attenuated from bill tip to tail tip. A Wigeon bill is short, deep and chunky.

John
Old Wednesday 6th May 2020, 20:10   #735
dantheman
Bah humbug

I was expecting to see at least some white on the upperwing if it was Wigeon. Undertail seems v clear cut too?
Old Thursday 7th May 2020, 07:32   #736
Warixenjalka

#67. Common Redstart
Old Thursday 7th May 2020, 09:48   #737
halftwo
Wird Batcher

Willow Warbler - one in song this morning.
Old Thursday 7th May 2020, 10:57   #738
KenM

Quote:
I think I've only 5 or 6...
Likewise
Old Friday 8th May 2020, 06:41   #739
Warixenjalka

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenM View Post
Likewise
5 - 6 is quite good I think. Or how long you have lived the present place? We bought this house at September 2009 and I have counting Garden ticks since that, even we didn't moved here until January 2011.
Old Friday 8th May 2020, 06:41   #740
Farnboro John

I wasn't expecting that...(though it isn't a garden tick, just a lot less than annual)

62. Ring-necked Parakeet One in bushes across the brook, chased off by Magpie.

Every little helps I suppose!

John
Old Friday 8th May 2020, 08:49   #741
Richard Prior
Halfway up an Alp

Quote:
5 - 6 is quite good I think. Or how long you have lived the present place? We bought this house at September 2009 and I have counting Garden ticks since that, even we didn't moved here until January 2011.
Itís very good I would say, normally once Iíve lived somewhere for 2 years new Garden ticks become very difficult, we are here since 2016 and recorded just 2 new ones last year, three already this year is a surprise! Old codgers like Ken and I probably spend more time garden birding in an average year than many of you who are experiencing lockdown birding so not surprised that more garden lifers are being achieved in these unhappy times.
Old Friday 8th May 2020, 09:49   #742
ClarkWGriswold
Carpe Carpum
BF Supporter 2020

Just in the garden with my birding buddy and we heard #51.

51. Common Whitethroat
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	E985A391-D881-4C21-863E-75C75157F0CD.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	410.4 KB
ID:	726558  

BF Supporter 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 2018 2019 2020 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Friday 8th May 2020, 09:57   #743
dantheman
Bah humbug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Prior View Post
Itís very good I would say, normally once Iíve lived somewhere for 2 years new Garden ticks become very difficult, we are here since 2016 and recorded just 2 new ones last year, three already this year is a surprise! Old codgers like Ken and I probably spend more time garden birding in an average year than many of you who are experiencing lockdown birding so not surprised that more garden lifers are being achieved in these unhappy times.
I kinda disagree - in my experiences (and I've tended to do a fair bit of garden birding but patchy) I wouldn't expect things to tail off after 2 years - once everything common/regular in an area has been encountered it's true things become harder but irregular and random flyovers are still out there. Maybe it's just chance connecting but if on any kind of flyway/commute route or reasonable time put in I'd expect a regular low increase in new ticks??
Old Friday 8th May 2020, 11:29   #744
KenM

Quote:
37 years at my current address Wari. so 5 lifers over an 18 day period-24th March-11th April was embarrassingly exceptional, considering the residency period.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dantheman View Post
I kinda disagree - in my experiences (and I've tended to do a fair bit of garden birding but patchy) I wouldn't expect things to tail off after 2 years - once everything common/regular in an area has been encountered it's true things become harder but irregular and random flyovers are still out there. Maybe it's just chance connecting but if on any kind of flyway/commute route or reasonable time put in I'd expect a regular low increase in new ticks??
I tend to agree with Danís assessment particularly if one puts in an excessive amount of time, laced with a modicum of obsessiveness you should connect more often, although weeks of zilch (unfavourable weather patterns etc.) can test the patience and dedication somewhat. If the truth were known weíre probably all guilty to a greater or lesser degree of spending more time at the window than we should, instead of doing something more useful...Lockdown has certainly helped.
Old Friday 8th May 2020, 11:33   #745
Steve Lister
World Birder, ex-County Recorder, Garden Moth-er

May 8th

70. Whimbrel - heard overhead at 00.12 whilst checking my moth trap

#66 for my Garden Lockdown List.

Steve
Old Friday 8th May 2020, 18:19   #746
ClarkWGriswold
Carpe Carpum
BF Supporter 2020

52. Swift

BF Supporter 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 2018 2019 2020 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Saturday 9th May 2020, 15:29   #747
Steve Lister
World Birder, ex-County Recorder, Garden Moth-er

May 9th

71. Crossbill - one heard-only calling as it flew SW high overhead

Steve
Old Saturday 9th May 2020, 15:34   #748
timsg80
Gregor Tims

A fantastic number of other migrants through this Spring, hopefully a few more before Spring is done!

65. Western Bonelli's Warbler
66. European Turtle Dove
67. Whinchat
68. Common Cuckoo
69. Western Marsh Harrier
70. Moltoni's Warbler
71. Thekla Lark
72. Long-tailed Tit
73. Garden Warbler
74. Western Yellow Wagtail
75. Eleonora's Falcon
76. Cetti's Warbler
77. Zitting Cisticola
78. Purple Heron

I also thought I might have seen a Balearic Warbler, definitely one I'll be keeping an eye out for!

gregorsbirdblog.blogspot.com
Old Saturday 9th May 2020, 20:29   #749
birdmeister

Busy week of final exams, but I got out for a bit (later than I wanted) yesterday morning and had a good trio of birds.

95. Nashville Warbler (new yard bird, heard only)
96. Yellow-throated Vireo (new yard bird, pretty much heard only)

97. White-crowned Sparrow

Others in the general area had fantastic warbler fallouts. One friend of mine who has some woods had about 20 species of warblers in the last two days! I narrowly missed adding Cape May Warbler to my list, having seen a probable flyover. The White-crowned Sparrow could probably have been in bold. A smart adult, this was the time I see them most in the yard, though not quite annual. I've attached a picture of it.

Can I reach 100 in the next week or two? Monday morning could be great, with SW winds forecast then and Thursday/Friday, too.

Unfortunately, we're in a near-record cold snap today. I was informed that our Eastern Bluebird nestlings (4) didn't survive the night. I guess thousands of chicks died with the freeze. Part of nature, for sure.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	WCSP1_5:8:20.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	103.7 KB
ID:	726740  
Old Saturday 9th May 2020, 23:14   #750
KenM

Rook was a good start to the day at 7am (4th) this year with Common Tern South at 7.30 (2nd), followed by 5 Starlings over, then 4 Swifts and 2 Grey Lags by 9.10 am. As it was going to be a mid 20's (C) day we took our 10k steps earlier than usual and were back home by 11.45 am.

Not much en-route with Common Whitethroats appearing to have stopped singing on the plain although Blackcap and Garden Warblers were still vocal. A couple of Common Buzzards and a Kestrel being the only other highlights, once home the tea and toast went down well and set me up for a ''sustained'' sky-watch thereafter.

With eyes already smarting from the 7am start I was not relishing ''the rest of day'', even though a colleague living in West Sussex had texted me the day before with his high elevation hat-trick of Northbound flyover adult male..pale morph Honey Buzzards. With reddened eyes I stared out into the South facing heat haze not expecting much at all, after ten minutes or so a couple of onward flying Herring Gulls appeared low over the canopy breaking the boredom.

After another ten minutes or so ''another gull'' (sharp elbowed and pale underneath) circa 200' up was on the same trajectory, raised the bins, that's no Larus, it's a Buteo I murmured, as it disappeared behind the Ash tree!
Camera grabbed! I shutter-burst as it emerged from the other side, images were never going to be particularly good as the sensor was struggling to ''lock on'' into the South facing glare.

Perhaps a dozen images in all and all less than sharp (resulting in a degree of contrast adjustment and tone lightening) to attempt to bring out what little detail there was. However structure was very evident-with small head, long tail with under-tail terminal bands and fairly typical flight posture. Honey Buzzard no.78. This was followed by my 4th Willow Warbler and 3rd Common Tern carrying small fry....not forgetting an evening toast to the bird of the day!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	P2200839.jpeg    Coal Tit 1..jpeg
Views:	20
Size:	91.6 KB
ID:	726757  Click image for larger version

Name:	P2210145.jpeg    CW 2..jpg
Views:	19
Size:	161.3 KB
ID:	726758  Click image for larger version

Name:	P2210103.jpeg    GW1.jpg
Views:	24