• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Help/advice! YOUNG White wagtail stuck in our kitchen air vent (1 Viewer)

monkeygoblin

Hi all

The title says it all, from what I can tell the youngster is not newly hatched, I have no idea how it came to be that it's suddenly chirping from our air vent. Pretty sure it's a pied/white wagtail, seems to be stuck in there.

What should we do?!

(I'm aware that this is not the purpose of this forum but am reaching out to a trusty and knowledgeable community. Any advice appreciated!)

Thanks

Matthew

Hello Matthew,
the solution of Gander is best, but when this is not possible and the bird is not in actual danger when sitting in your air vent, first thing you can do, is to leave the room for some time.
Often, birds catched up in rooms/buildings are disturbed/stressed by the presence of men. And the "panic reaction" prevents these birds from finding the entrance/windows etc.
Hope that helps

Did they nest at the other end perhaps and it's gone the wrong way?

Will you be able to take the vent off at the kitchen end?

It's also possible it's further away and the sound is being amplified ...

Thanks all, the bird is right there at our end as I can see its face. If I remove the vent from our kitchen side do you think it would be able to fly to the open window and out? I have no idea at what age they start to gain this ability. Or should I try to assist it somehow. If so, how?
We live in a flat, 3 floors up, not sure where the exit (other end of this vent leads). I have not heard anything nesting either.

Thanks all, the bird is right there at our end as I can see its face. If I remove the vent from our kitchen side do you think it would be able to fly to the open window and out? I have no idea at what age they start to gain this ability. Or should I try to assist it somehow. If so, how?
We live in a flat, 3 floors up, not sure where the exit (other end of this vent leads). I have not heard anything nesting either.

That would make sense. Close other curtains/blinds so it doesn't fly into window glass unnecessarily. If its old enough to make it's way out it's old enough ... if not (ie can't fly yet, then that'll be a different problem!) ?!

I'm pleased to announce that having unscrewed the air vent the young fledgling flew with gusto straight through the open kitchen window. Moments later my own little one yelped from his afternoon nap and so I've been unable to observe what happened next... But based on the busy chitter chatter I can hear outside, there is a story being told, a ticking off being administered and a loving embrace being felt as baby reuintes with mum and dad!

Aaaaaand relax! Thanks for your assistance, love you guys.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back