• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Dragonfly id (1 Viewer)

jforgham

Birding for fun
Hello All,
This is my first posting in this area of the site. I have attached a couple of photos I took on 27.10.05 along the River Stort in Hertfordshire. I thought i had them id'd but now not too sure. My first efforts with dragonflies and so virtually clueless and happy to be learning all the time. Just bought Field guide by Steve Brooks and illustrated by Richard Lewington. Very useful for a beginner, I thought. Anyhow, any suggestions on these 2. Thought the blue was either common or migrant hawker but now can't see any yellow spots as advised in the book. Is this because it's late in the season or what? Love to learn on this. Red one, common darter?
Thanks for any factual tips regarding these as I am looking forward to next season and thought this would be a good time to read up some basic facts.
Jono

Attachments

• 25.10.05 side view.JPG
    25.10.05 side view.JPG
    76.8 KB · Views: 130
  • Coloured thorax 25.10.05.JPG
    Coloured thorax 25.10.05.JPG
    73.1 KB · Views: 140
  • common darter thorax pattern 27.10.05.JPG
    common darter thorax pattern 27.10.05.JPG
    71.2 KB · Views: 140
  • Com Dart. 27.10.05.JPG
    Com Dart. 27.10.05.JPG
    60.3 KB · Views: 149
I am a total novice at these things - but I should make a fool of myself and improve.
1. I'm pretty sure is a migrant hawker - that blue blob on the side just behind the wing is distinctive - I know this has a proper name

2 is also a Hawker - I briefly wondered if it might be a Southern, though odds are its another migrant. T

he next two are Darters. I think male Commons.

Right - let's see what the real answers are!

Jane Turner said:
I am a total novice at these things - but I should make a fool of myself and improve.
1. I'm pretty sure is a migrant hawker - that blue blob on the side just behind the wing is distinctive - I know this has a proper name

2 is also a Hawker - I briefly wondered if it might be a Southern, though odds are its another migrant. T

he next two are Darters. I think male Commons.

Right - let's see what the real answers are!

Hi,
Thanks for the comments. Just to clear it up, 1 and 2 are same dragonfly, as are 3 and 4. Sorry should have made that clear.
Jono

Migrant Hawker (yellow triangle on 2nd segment, and lack of yellow antehumeral stripes [Common]).
Ruddy Darter (all black legs, Common tends to be more orange, also note pinching of waist).

walwyn said:
Migrant Hawker (yellow triangle on 2nd segment, and lack of yellow antehumeral stripes [Common]).
Ruddy Darter (all black legs, Common tends to be more orange, also note pinching of waist).

Hi Walwyn and Jane,
Thanks for the details. They're most informative and useful.
Jono

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back