• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Snowy Owl (1 Viewer)

AlexC

Aves en Los Ángeles
Opus Editor
Discussion thread for Snowy Owl. If you would like to add a comment, click the Post Reply button.
--------------

Scientific name...
Clements 6th ed: Bubo scandiacus
H&M 2003: Nyctea scandiaca
S&M 1996: Nyctea scandiaca
IOC 1.6: Bubo scandiacus

What was the basis for the reassignment to Bubo? Should we keep it under Nyctea with a redirect from Bubo scandiacus?

Last edited:
That's obviously a difficult one. In the net I found that Olsen et al 2002 have found the Snowy Owl to be closely related with Bubo, but I don't find the study online. A quick search gives a bit more matches with Nyctea (about 55%).
I would vote for keeping Nyctea for now and making a remark in the Category Nyctea and in the Category Bubo and a redirect.

André

I'm okay with that - but I'm having some trouble finding information to help me sequence where to place the genus Nyctea. Anyone?

In the trees I have seen, including the ones in Konig et al, Nyctea is a branch in the middle of the Bubo bush, it is not basal. To keep Nyctea, you would have to move through several nodes to get to a basal position. They only did a small bootstrap analysis, but that gives a support of 98. I am in other words pretty sure that this one will come back.

On the other hand, if there are appropriate redirects and an explanation in place, then either way will work.

Niels

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back