• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birdingcrafts 2011 Costa Rica list (1 Viewer)

Over the weekend, constant rain was a barrier to birding but I still up a choice species for the year- Red-fronted Parrotlet (567). I added this one to the list after hearing a calling bird as it flew through foggy skies near Cinchona.

Picked up 13 new birds over the weekend and forgot to add one new species from 2 weeks ago. The forgotten bird was Louisaina Waterthrush for 568 seen on a river near Cinchona.

On the weekend trip to Tortuguero National Park, I hoped to get at least 13 new species for the year. I ended up accomplishing this although several expected species were no-shows. The birds I did manage to tick for 2011 were:
569. Acadian Flycatcher- several of these migrants were around.
570. Eastern Kingbird- got one of these just in time as most have passed through already.
571. Yellow-billed Cuckoo- saw 2!
572. Bay-breasted Warbler- several of these migrants were around.
573. Mississippi Kite- several migrating with thousands of Broadwings, Swainson's Hawks, and Turkey Vultures. Also had several Peregrines, Merlins, and Ospreys for spectacular raptor migration.
574. Northern Harrier- Picked up this uncommon migrant out of a kettle of Broadwings.
575. White-necked Puffbird- I had hoped for this one.
576. Chestnut-colored Woodpecker- another target.
577. Purple Martin- Just managed to see a few of the tail end migrants.
578. Gray Catbird- was hoping for this one!
579. Red-breasted Blackbird- connected with this target in rice fields near La Pavona.
580. Bobolink- a rare bird in Costa Rica! Fantastic to get this species in rice fields near La Pavona.

Further attempts at new year birds in the Caribbean lowlands have been thwarted by rain but a trip to the southern part of the Nicoya peninsula yielded several species.
These were:
581. Franklin's Gull: several were seen from the ferry that crosses the Gulf of Nicoya. Also new for my country list.
582. Blue-footed Booby: an immature bird from the ferry was a good one to get for the year.
583. American Coot: not so common in Costa Rica, got one at a small pond at a golf course.
584. Long-billed Starthroat: Unexpected and a overdo for the year.
585. Plain-breasted Ground-Dove: Best bird of the trip! An uncommon species in Costa Rica and new for my country list as well.
586. Northern Scrub Flycatcher: Pygmy owl calls at the edge of mangroves brought this one into view.

Just 14 more to go to hit 600! I don't have much time to look for birds so it's going to be close! At least it's a good year for ducks so that might help.

Recent reports of rare migrant ducks, including an addition to the Costa Rican list, convinced me to take a day trip up to the northwestern part of the country this past Saturday. Although the Redheads, Ring-necked Ducks, Ruddy Duck, and a few other species were absent (likely scared away by illegal hunters), I still managed to get 7 new species for the year.

These were:

587. White-tailed Hawk- Had great looks at 3 of these uncommon raptors.
588. Snail Kite- Several of these in the Tempisque wetlands.
589. Northern Pintail- Was happy to get this uncommon species (for Costa Rica at least).
590. Lesser Scaup- Seem to be a number of these around this year.
591. Limpkin- Nice bonus bird! Had two of these.
592. Cinnamon Teal- One stood out among the numerous Blue-winged Teals.
593. Common Moorhen- Just one but that was all I needed.

So, just 7 more to go and 3 weeks left to do it! If I get really lucky, I will hit 600 when participating in a Christmas count at Veragua Rainforest Center on the southern Caribbean slope. This is a little known, rather new site that has excellent forest and a good chance at Bare-necked Umbrellabird, Great Potoo, Short-tailed Nighthawk, Crested and Vermiculated Screech Owls, Sulpher-rumped Tanager, Spot-crowned Antvireo, Purple-throated Fruitcrow, and White-flanked Antwren. There are also other, rarer possibilities I could get there so I just might reach my goal. At the same time, given the uncertainties associated with birding in diverse tropical habitats and the chance of getting rained out, I am fully aware that I might only get a few new birds for the year. However, with just 7 to go, I am certainly within striking distance even if I only pick up 4 new species there.

I reached my goal of 600 species for the year while participating in the Veragua Christmas count this past weekend. Ahh, now I can relax for the rest of 2011!

The place is fantastic for lowland forest birding. In fact, I would call it one of the best sites for Caribbean lowland species in Costa Rica. Lots of forest, White-fronted Nunbirds and Purple-throated Fruitcrows are still common, Great Potoo and several other night birds are very likely, and it's also a good site for rarities such as Bare-necked Umbrellabird, Gray-headed Piprites, and Speckled Mourner.

I will write more about the place on other occasions at my blog. For now, I will just list my year birds:

594. Rufous-winged Tanager: Fairly common at Veragua.
595. Great Potoo: Heard at least two and amazing looks at a calling bird near the parking lot- there most nights apparently.
596. Chestnut-collared Swift: Still needed this one for 2011!
597. Snowy Cotinga: Saw at least 5 from an overlook at Brisas de la Jungla, our site for the count.
598. Plain-brown Woodcreeper: One at Brisas de la Jungla.
599. Purple-throated Fruitcrow: Heard some at Brisas de la Jungla and at Veragua.
600. Blue-headed Parrot: Two perched birds on the road to Veragua were my 600th species for the year!
601. Crested Owl: Heard and seen near the parking lot. Also there most nights!
602: Bare-necked Umbrellabird: Fantastic looks at a male in a fruiting tree at Veragua. Regular there outside of the breeding season.

I might get one or two more species for the year but now that I have reached my goal, I'm not going to worry about it.

Got a few more birds for the year during a week of guiding around Carara and vicinity.
These were:
603. Northern Shoveler- One bird on the entrance road to Isla Damas.
604. Thick-billed Euphonia- Also on the entrance road to Isla Damas.
605. Pacific Screech Owl- Long overdue for the year. Killer looks at Cerro Lodge.
606. White-crested Coquette- A female seen along the road above Bijagual. At least 3 (and maybe more) were seen during the Carara Christmas count. As this bird is almost never recorded there, it is apparently a good year for them in the area.
607. Tawny-winged Woodcreeper- Excellent close looks at an antswarm along the river trail at Carara.

I doubt I will get anything else before the year ends but who knows!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back