• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Veagle's 2011 Year List (1 Viewer)

Drove out to Sevey's Lake, after work today. First time it has been free of ice, and there were a good mix of waterfowl, including 75 Canvasback, numerous Pintails, Shovelers, Green-winged Teal, American Wigeon, Redhead, and several Ring-billed Gulls. Also First of year Killdeer.

March 22 - Sevey's Lake, Mead County, SD

133. Killdeer

An interesting day. Cold snowy weather all weekend. Found a huge flock of 300 Lapland Longspurs, with some Horned Larks inside Rapid City, where I had never seen them before. Later in the day, drove out to Sevey's Lake, where there were more Longspurs, a Great Blue Heron, Greater Yellowlegs, and a flyover by nine Sandhill Cranes.

March 27 - Sevey's Lake, SD

134. Greater Yellowlegs
135. Sandhill Crane

At home this evening, the snow flurries and fog of the last few days, along with the approaching spring has brought some interesting birds to our yard. We had the first Red-winged Blackbirds of the year, along with bouth Mountain and Eastern Bluebird, and large numbers of Robins.

March 28 - Rapid City, SD

136. Eastern Bluebird

Got a call on my way home from work from a good friend who had a Varied Thrush in her yard, way out of range. We last had one here two years ago. I drove over, and there it was!

137. Varied Thrush

Drove out to Sevey's Lake after work today. First duck I saw was a beautiful male Cinnamon Teal, got good scope views of it. Lake was full of Pintails, Shovelers, Mallards, Coots, Canvasbacks, Redheads, Ring-necked Duck, Green-winged Teal, Gadwall, Bufflehead. And also a handful of California Gulls.

April 1 - Sevey's Lake, Meade County, SD

138. Cinnamon Teal

Last edited:
Spring can be fickle in Western South Dakota. Yesterday, the temperature got up to 73F. This morning, though, was cold and windy. I drove to the eastern part of the county to look at a couple of places for shorebirds. Too much water, and the shorebirds, other than Killdeer, were nowhere to be seen. But I did get a really good look at a couple of Gray Partridge, saw a few first of year Common Grackles. But the real highlight was an enormous flock of Sandhill Crane feeding in several acres of farmland. There were at least 2000,and although I scanned the group carefully, no Whoopers. But it was an amazing sight, nonetheless.

April 3 - Pennington County, SD

139. Common Grackle

Last edited:
About the right time, saw my first Turkey Vulture of the year today, near Canyon Lake

April 5 - Rapid City, SD

140. Turkey Vulture

In Washington, DC for a business meeting, and to see our son, Matt. Out for a walk, saw lots of Robins, a Turkey Vulture, and a mess of Fish Crows. Tommorrow morning, we'll do some birding in Fairfax county, Virginia.

April 8 - Washington, DC

141. Fish Crow

Last edited:
My son, Matt and I spent Saturday morning birding in the Virginia suburbs of Washington, DC. Our first stop was Huntley Meadows Park. The weather was cool and overcast, and we started out at about 7:30 am. Lots of birds around. Almost immediately we spotted several Rusty Blackbirds, one of my primary targets, having only seen it once before. As we passed a bunch of feeders near the park visitor center (which didn't open until noon??), we spotted numerous Downy, Hairy, and Red-bellied Woodpeckers, Northern Cardinals, White-throated Sparrows, and Tufted Titmice. Making our way to the boardwalk, there were numerous Swamp Sparrows, and a couple of Savannah Sparrows. Other highlights of the day included good views of Great Egrets, a Wilson's Snipe, some Eastern Phoebes, and good close looks at several Virginia Rails.

April 9 - Huntley Meadows Park, Virginia

142. Rusty Blackbird
143. Hairy Woodpecker
144. Tufted Titmouse
145. White-throated Sparrow
146. Red-bellied Woodpecker
147. Carolina Chickadee
148. Brown Creeper
149. Swamp Sparrow
150. Savannah Sparrow
151. Great Egret
152. Tree Swallow
153. Brown-headed Cowbird
154. Eastern Phoebe
155. Wilson's Snipe
156. Virginia Rail

Attachments

• IMG_1730-1_edited [Desktop Resolution].JPG
    IMG_1730-1_edited [Desktop Resolution].JPG
    160.7 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_1731-1_edited [Desktop Resolution].JPG
    IMG_1731-1_edited [Desktop Resolution].JPG
    240.5 KB · Views: 63
Last edited:
Our second stop was along the Potomac River, at Dyke Marsh. We got some great close up looks at Osprey, and other highlights included Eastern Towhee, Laughing Gull, and two Caspian Terns. It was great to see some new birds for the year, and especially enjoyable to spend time with Matt.

April 9 - Dyke Marsh, Virginia

157. Osprey
158. Double-crested Cormorant
159. Barn Swallow
160. Northern Rough-winged Swallow
161. Eastern Towhee
162. Caspian Tern
163. Laughing Gull
164. Chipping Sparrow

An early drive to Sevey's Lake this morning yielded 8 Snow Geese, which I'd never seen there before, the usual waterfowl, and a couple of Lesser Yellowlegs.

April 14 - Sevey's Lake, SD

165. Lesser Yellowlegs

Been under the weather lately, and didn't get out at all yesterday. But as I was feeling somewhat better this morning, I wen't back to Sevey's Lake, which I sometimes do a quick look-over before work, at a more liesurely pace. Quite cold, but good birds were indeed waiting. Probably best was a pair of Greater Scaup, which are fairly unusual here, but got good looks at Western and Horned Grebes, first Ruddy Ducks of the year, a couple of American Avocets, looking great in their spring Plumage, and the First Marbled Godwit of the year, always a welcome site. Also a large group of gulls, which I don't see that often here, consisting of Ring-billed, Herring, and Frankllin's. Oh yes, the first SD Tree Swallows of the year. Things are definately feeling like spring.

April 17 - Sevey's Lake, SD

167. Franklin's Gull
168. American Avocet
169. Greater Scaup
170. Marlbled Godwit
171. Western Grebe
172. Ruddy Duck

Back out to Sevey's after a couple of unseasonably cold and snowy days. Most of the usual waterfowl, quite a few lesser and greater yellowlegs, and after seening no Eared Grebes until tonight, there must have been 40 out and about. They do nest here.

April 19 - Sevey's Lake, SD

173. Eared Grebe

Attachments

• IMG_1735-1_edited [Desktop Resolution].JPG
    IMG_1735-1_edited [Desktop Resolution].JPG
    223.1 KB · Views: 47
Last edited:
I had a business meeting in Chamberlain, SD on Wednesday. Had a good look at my first Swainson's Hawk of the year, and then stopped on my way home at Quinn Lake, where there were large numbers of Great Blue Herons, American White Pelicans, and a few Double-crested Cormorants.

April 20 -Lyman County, SD

174. Swainson's Hawk

April 20 - Quinn Lake, Pennington County

175. American White Pelican

Attachments

• IMG_1775_edited [Desktop Resolution].JPG
    IMG_1775_edited [Desktop Resolution].JPG
    214.2 KB · Views: 50
Last edited:
Back in Santa Fe, NM for a long weekend, and took a walk in the local Arroyo. Kinda quiet, but nice views of Bewick Wrens calling, the first Spotted Towhee of the year, and a few Western Scrub-Jays.

April 22 - Aldea Arroyo, Santa Fe, NM

176. Western Scrub-Jay
177. Spotted Towhee
178. Bewick's Wren

Last edited:
Took a drive down to Albuquerque late this morning. My wife and daughter did some shopping and I spent a few hours at the Rio Grande Nature Center. Very nice visitor center and habitats along the Rio Grande River, and through the bosque. A relatively quiet time of the day, but still saw Hermit Thrush, Bushtit, Yellow-rumped and Wilson's Warbler, Black-chinned Hummingbird, Cinnamon Teal and Ross's Goose, among others.

April 23 - Albuquerque, NM

179. White-crowned Sparrow
180. Black-chinned Hummingbird
181. Yellow-rumped Warbler
182. Wilson's Warbler
183. Bushtit
184. Hermit Thrush
185. Snowy Egret
186. Great-tailed Grackle
187. Violet-green Swallow

Attachments

• IMG_2006.JPG
    IMG_2006.JPG
    98 KB · Views: 34
Last edited:
Early morning, I drove out to Las Campanas golf course. Mostly quiet, but I did see a nice Western Bluebird. Later, my wife and I hiked in and around the Davey Center in Santa Fe. It was fairly quiet, but two hoped for additions to my year list appeared.

April 24 - Santa Fe, NM

188. Western Bluebird
189. Cassin's Kingbird
190. Ash-throated Flycatcher

Last edited:
Before getting ready to return home, my wife and I took a walk in the neighboring arroyo. I wanted to show her a Bewick's Wren, which obligingly turned up on cue. Later we got a couple of looks at a secretive Juniper Titmouse, and a perching, singing Say's Phoebe.

April 25 - Santa Fe, BNM

191. Juniper Titmouse
192. Say's Phoebe

Back from New Mexico, I took a quick look around Sevey's Lake before work this morning. The usual waterfowl were joined by a single Lesser Yellowlegs, 5 Marbled Godwits, and the following first of year birds: Vesper Sparrow, Brewer's Blackbird, Willet, and Wilson's Phalarope.

April 27 - Sevey's Lake, South Dakota

193. Vesper Sparrow
194. Brewer's Blackbird
195. Willet
196. Wilson's Phalarope

A great spring day, with migrants moving through the area. I drove east of Rapid City this morning, stopping at a number of good spots. Highlights included Chestnut-collared Longspur, Wilson's Snipe, three different Loggerhead Shrikes, and large numbers of White-crowned Sparrows, along with some Clay-colored, and Savannah Sparrows. Oh, and the first Upland Sandpiper of the year. Always a treat.

May 1 - Pennington County, SD

197. Upland Sandpiper
198. Clay-colored Sparrow
199. Loggerhead Shrike
200. Chestnut-collared Longspur
201. Pied-billed Grebe

Attachments

• IMG_1777_edited [Desktop Resolution].JPG
    IMG_1777_edited [Desktop Resolution].JPG
    236 KB · Views: 54
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread