• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Brand New to Birdwatching - What Binoculars?? (1 Viewer)

Bradj81

Brand New to Birdwatching
Hello all,

My girlfriend and I are interested in getting into birdwatching. What is a good starter pair of binoculars for under $50?

There really aren't many binoculars under $50.00 that will get unqualified recommendations as suitable starter binoculars for bird watching. There are, however, a number of them between $50.00 and $100.00 that will be quite adequate. Here are a couple of them: Leupold Yosemite 6 x 30. (About $90.00) Nikon Actions 7 x 35 and 8 x 40. (Under $70.00 many places.) Bushnell Nature View 8 x 40 Birder. (Under $60.00 many places) Eagle Optics Triumphs 7 x 35 and 8 x 40. (under $80.00--see www.eagleoptics.com) Eagle optics has an excellent 30 day return policy.

Cabelas and Bass Pro Shops among other sporting outlet stores should have the Nikons and Bushnells.

IMPORTANT: What ever you do, DO NOT GET A ZOOM BINOCULAR. (To clarify: That means binoculars that can zoom their power from say 7x to 15X or so by use of a lever near the focus knob) They are poorly made and hard to use. They are dim and have narrow fields of view.

And -- Welcome to Bird Forum!:hi:

Bob

Last edited:
Thanks for the suggestions. I was doing a little digging back a few pages and the Leupold Yosemite 6x30 seem to be a good choice. Still going to do a little more research. I am leaning toward those right now. We will also be using the bins for Geocaching as well.

Last edited:
Geocaching? Now that is a new one for me! I had to look it up. Sounds like a combination of Orienteering and Hide and Go Seek!

Bob

Take a look at the 8x25 Olympus Tracker PCI as it is compact, lightweight and has excellent optics. You can generally find them for around $60 and there's not much better for the $$.

Tom

Thanks for the suggestions. I was doing a little digging back a few pages and the Leupold Yosemite 6x30 seem to be a good choice. Still going to do a little more research. I am leaning toward those right now. We will also be using the bins for Geocaching as well.

Take a look at the Nikon Action Extreme series. The 8x40 or 7x35 would be better choices for a beginning binocular than the 6x30 Leupold. A bit more magnification will make a lot of difference when observing and binoculars in the Action series have a very wide field of view.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back